Archinect
anchor

If something is stated in the code, why do i need to show it on the drawings?

I am studying for my exams right now and I'm just trying to understand the theory behind this.

Let's say the code clearly describes flashing requirements, and the CD's have a note stating to build per the building code, why illustrate this information in the drawings?

Thanks

Sep 5, 12 1:31 pm

if you don't show your intention behind how you expect a detail to work out, how will the contractor know what you want? do you really want to leave it to the discretion of the low-bidder's installer?

the code is the lowest common denominator requirement. you're there to DESIGN a resolution that serves your client's interest and, hopefully, makes the project better than a lowest common denominator result. 

there are a myriad ways to resolve the various conditions encountered in a construction project. you want to show the preferred way; in fact, you want to require that it be done in the best way your client can afford. 

if it were all just a matching of code to application, why would builders need us at all? 

Sep 5, 12 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

To add to what Steven says, the drawings can act as a contract between owner and contractor, so if a detail is built in such a way as to not meet code and the owner gets in trouble, they have something to point to while in arbitration and say "i told you to do it right."

"build per building code" doesn't sound like a good note.  kind of like drawings from the 80's that say something to the effect of "put roof here."  a bit more vague than what I think is commonly expected of me.

Sep 5, 12 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

"if it were all just a matching of code to application, why would builders need us at all? "

Whoaaaa there, that's a question that just shouldn't even be asked.

Heresy, yo!

Sep 5, 12 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Regarding this question, it depends on the project type and the drawing(s) related to the project type in the construction document(s). A book that I've found, "A Manual of Construction Documentation"(Wiggins, Glenn E.) may help. However, the caveat to including code related information in construction documents is that it may appear to be "too much information" making construction documents "look" cluttered.

Sep 5, 12 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Yes.  Put "build to code" in big font bold letters on the title sheet.  But not only am I uncertain as to if the contractor or client knows what they are building or getting, I am fairly certain that the architect doesn't know what the building code requires.

Sep 6, 12 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Provide exits per building code requirements. I've seen it on a set of drawings! No kidding! Maybe it does work and the rest of us are suckers!

Sep 6, 12 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Why not do your job and provide the appropriate and an essential information including all necessary code requirements ...... and people wonder why Architects get a bad name!

Its our job!

Sep 7, 12 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

You may argue the point with the building inspector/engineer....but, if you want to see it built....bend over! and do it!

Sep 7, 12 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: