Archinect
anchor

The Grand Tour (Resources)

dillup.

Hey -

In September I will make a (condensed) grand tour through Europe. Just several of the Must-See's: NL, London, Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Venice (Biennale!). I'm doing it independently and am currently in Germany.

I've seen and heard about several professors who have put together great brochures, pamphlets or even giant texts as a Europe Guidebook for Architecture. Including out of the way places, how to get there, texts and plans on specific buildings, etc. I'd love to get my hands on a good one. Any ideas? Or perhaps if there is one online someone could be gracious enough to e-mail me the link.

Also if anyone is doing the same in Sept. and wants to link up for part of it, let me know.

thanks

Aug 11, 04 4:48 am
Ludwig

visit the web site Galinsky.com

Aug 11, 04 5:49 am  · 
 · 
aml

i did a similar tour a couple of years ago. what worked out really well was buying an architecture guide book on each city i visited. they are not that expensive and were easy to find at the main 'architecture' hub place on each city [but you have to look for it].

these are the ones i bought [but i have an interest in 20th century stuff, so beware]

barcelona: guia de arquitectura 1929 - 2000 [a bit too thourough]
architectural guide basel 1980 - 2000 [excellent, includes maps and bus routes]
milano architectural guide [good but maybe too thorough, but then again my time in milano was short]
25 buildings you should have seen: amsterdam [excellent, very useful]

i couldn't find a good paris arch pocket book [i guess just too much?] . i used 'a guide to recent architecture' by barbara ann campbell but i did not agree with the all the selections.

Aug 11, 04 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
aml

oh, what i finally used for paris was the best guide: a free map of the city that a frienf of mine scribbled over. he even included his favorite sushi places.

if you can get maps of the cities you will be visiting, carry them around before the trip and ask friends you trust to make recommendations.

Aug 11, 04 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
urbanisto

if you go to graz
(kunsthaus by peter cook!!)

this is your book:
Graz-Architecture. Positions in the Urban Space focusing the period as of 1990
ISBN: 3901174451

tons of projects

before you go to venice
buy ANY book on carlo scarpa - read it -
and then try to visit as much of his work as possible in and around venice (some is in verona)
the graveyard he did with a small chapel is in some countryside village near venice, but its worth the drive!

Aug 11, 04 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

the graveyard sounds nice, do you remember how you found it or where it is exactly?

Aug 12, 04 8:48 am  · 
 · 
archidose

The last time in Venice, I stopped by the Querini Stampalia by Scarpa and found a guide to his buildings in their bookstore. Since you'll be there, this would be a great place to start if you want to see his architecture.

I definitely recommend the Brion-Vega Cemetery, which is listed in the guidebook I have. It's a little difficult to get to, but worth the effort.

Aug 12, 04 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: