Archinect
anchor

project down time AKA: boredom

mnesikles

Let's hear some stories about the most bored you have ever been at work.....particularly between projects.
What did you to occupy your time (aside from reading this)?
One can only organize their space so many times....or clean the email inbox.....or thumb through Graphic Standards.....etc

Aug 10, 04 9:19 am
Dan

I was actually reading the Int. Building code for fun. Sick.

Aug 10, 04 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

origami. My desk is covered with it.

Aug 10, 04 10:48 am  · 
 · 

read through g standards , read bout 3ds max tricks , pretend to work while sleeping the hangover off !!

Aug 10, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
A

I wish I had time to play around like that. Actually I've found reading different magazines to be a great time killer.

Aug 10, 04 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

A- Yeah I could spend my entire day working on overdrive and still have more to do at 5pm than when I started the day. The only way to look busy and take down time is too read. Plenty of stuff that floats across my desk is quality. Journals passed on the companies circulation list include everything from business, architecture, Interior design, furniture, Engineering, Property, local paper (no Penthouse or Rugby World yet!). Some of its worth reading and it’s a perfect way to stop rushing around and relax. On occasion I may divert the calls by telling the receptionist that "I am unavailable due to a design workshop, breaking next at (insert convenient time here)".

However , there’s no escaping the Orwellian building PA that commands your attention. Except in the toilet, but that's another story....

Aug 10, 04 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

i was just kidding , work mostly zooms by when i get inth eh auto cad zone

Aug 10, 04 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

kurtneis, are you sure. I thought you were the new guy across the studio who fell asleep the other day.. I can't comment on your CAD work as i havent seen it!

Aug 10, 04 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

having a boss that looks like nosferatu, ping pong of photoshopped jokes about him with any available colleague.

otherwise (and that aint normal) browsing thru the sample cabinets looking for stuff that might become furniture for the flat.

how much stationery do you steal from the office in an average month?

Aug 10, 04 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i set up an easel and offer to draw characitures of fellow office workers for a small nominal fee

Aug 10, 04 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
A

Ha ha, I remember back when I was first starting in this business and spending about ten hours a day pumping CAD. After a long night of partying until near 4am the next day I literally just stared at my screen and fell asleep.

It was an "office space" moment for sure.

Aug 10, 04 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

do the ARE computer mock exams for the graphic sectons... plus they look like work

Aug 10, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

make presentation drawings for your portfolio of past projects. color, render them, take away things you didn't like, add nice spder glass, etc..
it;s always a good idea to keep your protfolio updated especially if there is alot of down time!

Aug 10, 04 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

We don't even try to look busy in my office. We have good office toys.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/60b6/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5c82/

And there's always throwing pencils into ceiling tile.

Aug 10, 04 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
chow

online poker tournaments @ www.888.com Brushing up on my skills for my retirement since arch doesn't pay....speaking of has anyone seen the guy selling his B.arch diploma on ebay? classic.

Aug 12, 04 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: