Archinect
anchor

Using term architect

Non Sequitur

I don't like the idea that I need to be born in royalty to claim that title. From now on I demand to be referred to as Sultan Non Sequitur, Architect.

Feb 25, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How about using the term Board Certified or something like it? I think it sounds even better than Registered Architect, which almost sounds like you filled out an application and paid a fee to get your "registration".

Board Certified with all of its implications more accurately reflects the work it takes to be a professional architect anyway, accredited degree + professional experience + passing exams + ethical standards + legal designation. 

Feb 25, 14 10:46 am  · 
 · 

'Board Certified' is an ace carpenter. 

Feb 25, 14 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I knew there was a joke in there somewhere. You are a stud, Miles.

Feb 25, 14 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Totally nailed it.

Feb 25, 14 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Bored Certified.

Feb 25, 14 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Greg Sagherian

I've attempted to read through the majority of this post, but don't see a direct response to my question:

I've just completed the ARE.

1. If I choose not to pay any licensing fees in any state am I a Registered Architect (RA)?

2. If I get licensed in Illinois but do not complete the California Supplemental Exam (CSE) and am part of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), can I put AIA after my name in California? 

Hopefully all of this is moot. I'm taking the CSE in two months and plan to squash all doubt.

Greg Sagherian | RA | AIA | DUDE

May 19, 14 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

1.  nope.  registered architect means you're registered with the state board.  if you're registered with ncarb, you can put 'ncarb' after your name, and if you're registered with aia, you can put 'aia' after your name.

2.  yes, if you're a member of the aia you should be able put aia after your name wherever.  the terms 'aia' and 'ncarb' are not regulated by the state the way 'architect' is.  as long as you're not trying to trick people into thinking you're an architect in california if you're not an architect in california.

May 19, 14 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
robothead
What if someone is billing the client as a "Principal" of an Architecture firm, yet are unlicensed??

Would this qualify as misleading to the Client, since (in California) only licensed Architects can own a firm? What if an unlicensed person wants to partner with a licensed Architect as part owner? Should they still not use the term "Principal?"
May 26, 14 6:54 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Robothead: until you are licensed in California, while residing or soliciting business in California you can be a Principal of a non-architecture business (a design firm, an ice cream stand), but not an architecture firm.  You should also take care not to use the term "architect" or "architecture" on any of your business materials except in reference to your degrees.

May 26, 14 10:54 am  · 
 · 
haruki

It isn't that difficult to become licensed. I don't know why people don't just hunker down and take the stupid tests. 

May 26, 14 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

^ +1

May 26, 14 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: