Archinect
anchor

from New york city to Chicago

pelut

I'm an architecture student from Barcelona. I'll be travelling some days around the east coast, from New york to Chicago including Poughkeepsie, Buffalo, Detroit and Indianapolis. I already know some of the key buildings I should visit, like the Seagram in NY or the Sears tower in Chicago, but I would be very pleased if you tell me what other architecture jewels I can't miss.

I will only have a few days for each city and not to much time to spend, because I'd also like to visit other non-architectural sites like the mithycal CBGB in NY or the blues scene in Chicago. I'll be attending the Ozzfest in Detroit and some other concerts, but I'd like to check out the actual rock clubs in some of those cities.

I hope you can help me out filling my schedule. ;)
Thanks in advance.

Aug 7, 04 8:02 pm
TED

hola, do you have a general time [which weeks] and how you will be traveling? car, rail, bike.....

i know a few states that perhaps we can get you residency in so you can vote george bush out if your here in nov.[ohio and florida are nice that time of year but, just kidding ...unless your interested of course]

but the states are huge and as you move east to west things get spread out very quickly......and take a very long time to get around

Aug 7, 04 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go to Columbus, Indiana if you are going to Indy

Aug 7, 04 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
pelut

lol thanks TED! I'll arrive at NY in august 10th, take a rented car and move west to Chicago. Then I come back home to Barcelona in august 24th.

...by the way, I'd love to kick out Bush out of the white house... do you have any green card? (kidding)

:P

Aug 7, 04 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Shit! just missed my last green card by a day....could print up a few new ones....wait....strike that...didnt say that....will do a bit of thinking and throw out some suggestion 2morow.

the blues feast in in chi town in august i think so i look up some things....just for your info...if you drove straigh ny to chi town on the super duper highways only stopping for the occasional stuckies, its about 17 hours if i remember.

definitely motown[and cranbrook] must be part of the trip and many schools in the states start the week of the 23rd so maybe connect with some folks.

univeristy of illinios chi town now sends its grads to barcelona so you might want to email xavier vendrell at [email protected] and connect with him also...he is bringing the student across this year [ vendrell - Poblenou Park in the Olympic Village if you are too young to know.... ]

Aug 7, 04 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

if ur going to the Seagram's check the restaurant below (i hope is still called "Brasserie") by Diller and Scofidio

Aug 8, 04 12:05 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

if ur going to the Seagram check the restaurant below (i hope is still called "Brasserie") by Diller and Scofidio, u might drop by the water falling house by Wright in PA too

Aug 8, 04 12:05 am  · 
 · 
tman

i just got back from Brasserie, or whatever it was called. Very fun, i threw a peace sign for the tv monitors and took lots of pictures in the restroom. Then i ate all the complimentary cheese and hard boiled eggs with two other architect student friends while getting trashed at the bar. Then we started getting jealous how us deserving architecture students who came so far (japan, los angeles, and atlanta) to admire the work of diller + scofidio and yet we cant afford to eat dinner there. Whereas a bunch of trendy ass yuppies are sitting enjoying their meal, and think that the space is simply "cool" while drinking their 100 dollar wine bottles.

PS architecture deserves MORE.

But to talk about your topic...here are a bunch of stuff I've seen in NY so far.

Guggenheim, The Met, Moma QNS, PS1, Comme des Garcons by Future Systems, Asymptote store for ____ (in chelsea across from the Lotus night club), Seagram, Met Life Bldg, Prada Store, Storefront for Art and Architecture, Aldo Rossi's Scholastic Bldg, and visit Columbia University.

Aug 8, 04 12:14 am  · 
 · 
sewage

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm from Poughkeepsie, although living in Portland at the moment. What will you be doing in Poughkeepsie? The Dia Museum in Beacon is worth checking out.

The Asymptote store is for Carlos Miele and it's on 14th Street between 9th and 10th?

Aug 8, 04 4:08 am  · 
 · 
uneDITed

"Whereas a bunch of trendy ass yuppies are sitting enjoying their meal, and think that the space is simply "cool" while drinking their 100 dollar wine bottles."

you want them to be on their knees deifying the architect?
Pfft...

Aug 8, 04 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

"pelut yo tinc "green card" pero no puc votar...u sento molt...pero anire a veura al Barca al Gamper abans de torna a Nova York!"
bon viatge!

Aug 8, 04 9:54 am  · 
 · 
tman

no what I want is to be able to afford a meal at the place, b/c it means more to me than some of them that just chill and act like it's their everyday lifestlye, which i'm sure it is.

Aug 8, 04 11:20 am  · 
 · 
tman

i never said they should bow down and chant, "oh great diller, oh great scofidio, thank you for allowing us this meal and space for us to dine in. We thank you our gods, our leaders..."

Aug 8, 04 11:21 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

T-man then start working, instead of complaining, so u can afford dinner wherever ur lame ass want to sit

Aug 8, 04 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

how much you spent at the bar? did the piss make a sound at the toilets? i am gonna get me a pizza slice so the expensive viners can get a taste of my pepporoni breath in close contact. yum. smart food at darloo's. lamella cut.

Aug 8, 04 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

check out the mostly abandoned shaker villages on your way. shaking room next to cemetery is a chilling experience. agree with columbus , indiana. 3 dee coffee table material on foot. do touch the good ,bad and ugly.

Aug 8, 04 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
tman

I do work, but im still an undergrad and have bills to pay, I'm sure you know how expensive a 5 year degree from a private institution can be.

Aug 8, 04 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
TED

hey....if i recall, [and sometimes i do forget] pelut was looking for some advice on the dots between jfk and ord not perhaps the sounds and
d-lites of the urinal twang, although i am dying to hear if anything special in the johns?

hey tman, even as a trendy ass yuppie as i admit in being, i much more prefer sucking down a few at the bar and looking at the faces hanging there than eating overpriced, over design food entres. just my preference.

and the shaker idea is great. dont know if you really mean the the amish at nappanie indiana or the shakers at new harmony which is more southen indiana....a bit out of the way unless you are doing columbus....both you will see a great midwest landscape.

will also add mies's farnsworth house which is about a 1 .5 hour drive sw of chicago but is real midwest landscape. call ahead because it has funny hours....but then again, you travel a bit down route 66.....

Aug 8, 04 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
jmac

if you're making your way to chicago and need a diversion to the endless mile-markers and farmland, hit up Cedar Point west of Cleveland. Its touted as the best amusement park on the planet (for good reason), but should you decide to make the trip, do not go on a weekend--the place is insane with local folk and out-of-towners alike, and the waiting times for rides can be outrageous. while not an architectural jewel, it is one of those great american specticals that you just have to experience.

Aug 9, 04 10:37 am  · 
 · 
PeteyPablo

forget the Brasserie, it's already dated.
For a real drink go toe other side of the Seagrams to the Four Seasons. Absolutely incredible.
Also, go to the Ford Foundation in NYC. My personal favorite building in the city, by Kevin Roche with a Dan Kiley garden inside......

Aug 9, 04 10:55 am  · 
 · 
TED

blues in chi town....get ahold of the free weekly reader which comes out thurs night of check out the blues listing on line readers blues listing most of the blues guys cycle from joint to joint but the cover at some places is to get the best out of the tourist.

best value blues venues are:

buddy guys [free hor d vours on fri night - buddy only does shows in feb and sept i think]
rosa's [a bit west of downtown - good pool]
b.l.u.e.s [which used to have no cover on sund night, very small venue]
hothouse has some good alternate programs also.
blues on clark and blue chicago have low covers, are downtown and allow you to go to both venues for the same cover.

stay away from kingston mines [$25 cover] or house of blues if you want to save some bucks. house of blues does get national headliners though that are not the reg chi blues scene. a bit pricey though.....

Aug 9, 04 11:09 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

tman, sorry but if it weren't for all those yuppies there eating overpriced burgers, you're broke ass wouldn't be able to scarf down free eggs in a incredibly designed (overdesigned) bistro. who do you think pays architecture, man...we are all too often the "look but don't touch" people...too knowledgable to miss the good stuff, too broke to afford it ourselves..tis for the other folks. while in nyc. also hit pianos in the lower east side for music, often rothko and sin-e also have good bands. check the village voice or flavorpill for good music hints...
as for architecture, definitely check out the series of gordon bunschaft skyscrapers around the wall street area. incredible stuff. also make it out to ps1 for the narchitects urban beach installation.

Aug 9, 04 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

some other drink / food stuf in chi town given on thread chicago hostels

as someone said in that post, dont spend money going up the hancock or sears, go the the bar at the top of the hancock. the views are better there and its cheaper to have a drink than to pay to go to the obs. decks. whats really great if its very hot during the day, go at about 8 at night and you will see the heat thunderstorms role in from the west.

i am going to guess already you know of millenium park, koolhaas iit already. soldier field is great to see from inside at a game. the bears play the 49er on the 21st. but really its baseball season and try to get to a cubs game. they still do sell a few tickets the day of the game.

Aug 9, 04 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

im making the move back to the west coast , LA , how does one get to the farnsworth house from ny ? and maybe to falling water, and other bldgs along the way , sorry to intrude on our spanish friends , thread , but i would appreciate the help

Aug 10, 04 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

for farnsworth, they have a great map on there web side and specific directions . info on time open is here at visitor info it says its open t-s from 10-3 but reservations are required [$25]. if your driving from down town, allow 1.5 hours [+ 1 hr more for week day rush]. the house is right next to the river and the ground is very mucky - they wont do a tour if its raining or just rained as they dont want that stuff in the house. you have to walk about 15 minutes from the informtion center to the house and part of the path can be this muck.

Aug 10, 04 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
TED

also, look at this calender as sometimes its closed for private events......

Aug 10, 04 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i once drove to chicago from new york and among other things, saw these architectural sites ( not necessarily in order or on a direct path);
boston,mit campus and aalto dormitory, chemistry building by philip johnson, harvard design shool, carpenter center, rare book library, early projects by eisenman, graves, philadelphia, marcel dushamp collection in museum, clothspin by oldenberg or was it baseball bat?(seen both), venturi's mom's house and nearby louis kahn duplex, gropious house and breuer house nearby,frank furness buildings and train stations, falling water, harrisburg penn and stone bridges there (i wanted to see a steel mill but weren't permitted), hershy town, shaker villages, dorms by walter gropious and louis kahn, cleaveland, columbus indiana, fire station#64(?) by venturi, father sarineen's church and his son's, chicago, oak park, mies' gravestone in the famous cemetery, manadnock building next to mies tower with picasso sculpture, robie haus, iit campus, sullivans work, burnam buildings. just a some i remember.

Aug 10, 04 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: