Archinect
anchor

SUGGESTIONS: Calculator for use in ARE exams

From what I've heard in the past, centre locations at times will not allow CERTAIN types of calculators (those including graphic fucntions and/or obivous programing capabilities). Hence...I am in search of one that may have programming functions (for use in the future) but that will also look discriminant, as well as provide me with the fuctions keys necessary for my ARE exams.

Any suggestions?? (I did a search on threads, and could not find one that discussed this).

Thanks for all the suggestions ahead of time.

Feb 11, 07 9:01 pm
Misen

They didn't let me take any calculator inside. They gave me a dinky little one without any scientific function. But for the most part, I didn't need a calculator to answer the questions.

Feb 11, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wow really? not even for the LF or GS exam? (which req. calculations?)

Feb 11, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

IF, those asspipes at the testing center bar you from bringing a non-graphing calculator, tell them to get ARE operations or NCARB on the phone IMMEDIATELY. tell them in no uncertain terms that you are allowed to bring in a non-graphing scientific calculator, that means something like this -

and this info from NCARB

Calculators will not be provided at the test center. However, the graphic divisions have a calculator built into the software interface. For the multiple-choice divisions, you must bring your own calculator to the test center. ONLY non-programmable, non-communicating, non-printing calculators are allowed. The test center administrator reserves the right to refuse the use of any other calculators.

and this from Kaplan

Calculators are allowed into the exam only for the multiple choice divisions. (The graphic divisions have a calculator built into the software interface.) However, calculators are not provided at the test centers so you will have to bring their own. Only non-programmable, non-communicating, non-printing calculators are allowed and the center administrator has to approve the calculator before you begin the exam.

and wouldn't you know i Prometric has nothing on their site, confusing huh?! yeah NCARB!

squirrely, you can throw this question and others like it in the ARE One Stop Shop...just an fyi. good luck.

Feb 11, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

thanks Ken.....I was thinking of this particular one or something similar...

That was my understanding (that they dont' provide calcs) but don't want to get there and be turned away or told I can't use the one I have, you know?!

I have been following that other thread, thanks mate. Test is still some time away (end of the month) just wanna make sure i have the "right" equipment so I feel confortable (as can be) for the test.

Feb 11, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that one might be pushing it.

Feb 11, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I have not experienced any problems with my TI-30XIIS. My husband recalls purchasing it for $15 +/-

The one thing that Prometric has not allowed me to bring in is the protective cover. That's fine with me.

Feb 11, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

This one huh? so it's not that far if I decided to get the one I posted above right?

(DCA's Calculator)

Yeah it's fairly cheap (about the same for the one I posted - the Casion FX115ES)

thanks DCA

Feb 11, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

hehe, beta..."asspipes"...

Feb 11, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

There has been ongoing confusion about calculators for the ARE at some test centers. Something you need to remember about Prometric is that they administer literally hundreds of different tests, and the ARE is one of the less frequently-administered ones (some states average only one or two test-takers per year!) so center employees aren't always well-versed in what is allowed for this test in particular.

Always bring the ARE Guidelines booklet with you to every test you take. This way if there are questions over the rules you can show them that it says you must bring a calculator with you.

But also be aware that NCARB itself has issued contradictory statements regarding calculators. In 2005 they stated in their newsletter "Direct Connections" that construction calculators ("inch-pound" calculators) are not allowed and are considered a form of electronic cheating. But the ARE Guidelines booklet does not state anywhere that construction calculators are not permitted - it only prohibits programmable or communicating calculators.
So to be safe many people take more than one calculator with them - both a construction model and the dumbest calculator with trig functions that they can find.

There really are very, very few questions on any of the tests that require a calculator at all, and no more than 1 or 2 per test that would require any trig functions - and these can almost always be figured out by alternated methods that would not require a calculator. So don't worry over the issue too much, but do bring the rulebook with you in case of confusion.

NCARB also stated in the 2005 newsletter that they intend to ban all calculators in the near future and re-implement the on-screen calculator that they had in some of the earliest computerized versions of the test.

Feb 11, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

thanks formerly... all that is good to know.

I think I will do the "bringing 2 calculators" with me as it may save me any heartache, or just stick with one of the ones shown above.

I will bring the booklet with me. I usually bring my whole binder (and leave it in the car) which has all the pertinent documentation I've received from NCARB.

thanks again.

Feb 11, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

lol OldFoge.....now thats good! But who knows they my ban that form the centre too!

Feb 11, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

i just bought a calculator for the ARE recently... it was a texas instruments, but i can't remember which model... nearly all of the scientific calculators that i saw when shopping have stuff on the packaging that says that it is OK for the SAT and GRE... you'll want to get one of those...

Feb 12, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 

also, you need it to have LOG functions...

Feb 12, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

I never had a problem with any calc I brought with me. Actually I brought a basic and a advanced functions calcs. Just in case they shot one down. For graphics I was able to use my construction master. But, bottom line I don't remember having any calculation that couldn't be solved using a basic model.

Feb 12, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

right, I didn't plan on using a graphic calculator (just that I used to have one laying about and was told that it probably would not past muster).

Anyways, architphil, I agree....most of the "cheap" ones for instance at a place like staples seems good enough to do the job. As those you saw posted above. Hopefully I wont have to rely on a rinky-dink model calc (my only concern would be for a problem that needed an exponetial application - hence the scientific calc).

Feb 12, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

I used the calculators they had on hand for some other test. Had no scientific functions, and in the end didn't need any. All of my "calculation" questions could be inferred or used special triangles.
j

Feb 12, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

When I took the LEED-AP exam, prometrics gave me shit for asking for a calculator - then I pointed out the rules on the USGBC website and they relented.

Don't ever assume that Prometrics staffers have any trace of intellegence - if there was a death-match between kinkos and prometrics not sure who would wind...

Feb 12, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

I agree with OldFogey, anything you kids can do on those new fangled adding machines I can do on one of these bad ass abacuses.

Feb 12, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: