Archinect
anchor

Your ARE and LARE One Stop Shop

Dapper Napper

I personally know someone who did the one per week schedule, just to see what she could do. She passed 6, failed two of the graphics and one m.c. So it's definitely worth a try.

Feb 7, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
joshcookie

When I took the practice exams (ALS Test Bank) I didn't focus on the percentage as much as if there was a glaring black hole of unknown knowledge. I would then focus on the things I didn't know for my studying. And since I had already committed the dates, made sure I covered what I didn't know before I took the test.
On a short time frame, why waste time covering what you already know.
j

Feb 7, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

good points. thanks.

Feb 8, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

indeed.
trying to do as joshcookie just suggested in my trials right now

Feb 8, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

This is out on left feild, but is there something like this for the IDP? A step by step process. The NCARD site is confusing me as to where do I actually get started. I have been searching for something like this for IDP with no luck. Thanks

Feb 8, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

*NCARB

my bad

Feb 8, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Amoroso - what exactly are you looking for? To get started with IDP, establish a Council Record with NCARB.

Feb 8, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

Amoroso-go to the IDP/NCARB website and read this page. Then download the pdf that explains how to establish a council record. This is a number that ncarb will identify you with as you progress through IDP. You have to submit the forms (general school & work history) and pay a fee to get your IDP started.

http://www.ncarb.org/idp/councilrecord.html

Feb 8, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

for those 'scapers that may be reading this - the process is similar for starting your CLARB record. there are fees involved, but if you are a student when your start your record, they are split into affordable chunks, little now/little later versus lots right now.

www.clarb.org/councilRecord

Unlike IDP, there is no formal record keeping on the 'scape side. check with your local LA board, since not every state requires having a record to sit for the exam. But if you plan on moving to other states, then you're best off starting one now.

Feb 8, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

Thanks Strawbeary and Insight for that! I will look into that once Im free from studio! :)

Feb 8, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I think I might have another date with Lateral Forces in approximately 6 months. I don't think I did too well on today's exam. Who knows - I may have gotten lucky.

After I answered all of the questions, I had 45 'marked' - meaning that I was not 100% confident with the answers. I reviewed those 45 again and felt reasonably confident that I guessed logically on all but 13 of them.

I'm hoping that some of the questions didn't actually REQUIRE me to solve calculations but rather, their purpose was to test general rationalization skills. Let's hope.

Anyways - I'll end this post on a lighter note...

My husband helped me study calculations last night (I still maintain that he probably could have done better than I did on this exam. He's so much smarter me). He admitted to me this morning that he had a nightmare about personified letters of the calculation v=(ZIC/Rw)W: they were chasing him. Then they grew teeth. To save himself, he pressed a button on the wall which generated a huge gust of wind and blew all of the letters away. Except W (building mass). hahahaha

Now that's dedication.

Feb 10, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

blah.

any study groups in WLA?

I need motivation/moral support. I'm working in a small office (me and the boss) and could use some team spirit.

Feb 10, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

now that hilarious DCA..... Love that story/retelling of a nightmare!

I just decided to break from my studying this sunday afternoon......arrrghh.
btw, can you share your feelings on the exam. Actually, so not to plug the thread with more stuff some might not wish to hear, you can email me.

But 1 question I did have is: are you allowed a calculator into the exam room? I just heard from someone they will not allow you a calculator. Is this true?? (but rather give you a rinky dink one that does not do exponents calcs).

stiletta - drop me a line....I am looking for people to study with!

Feb 11, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Plug away, squirrelly. That's what this thread is for. We'll call it a slow-moving chat room, okay?

What are your specific questions, and to which exam are you referring?

I've been doing a Professor Dorf practice test for the past 4 hours. Does anyone else find it confusing to use the library spaces (and hence library abbreviations) from the base NCARB practice program in place of Professor Dorf's program elements? A number of times, I said to myself, "what is SM again? Oh...right... a bedroom...not a Small Meeting Room... Silly DCA."

Maybe I just missed the boat on this... is there a way to get a "blank" scratch pad in the NCARB practice program?

Feb 11, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

DCA since you said you just took the LF exam, that's the one I was referring to.

Any good things you remembered???

Feb 11, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

blank scratch pad? if you mean without the setup diagram, try moving off to a side?? i know some people on the areforum have created different components for the graphics portions to plug into the ncarb program.

what is critical about the BP and SP exams are the matrices you create.

Feb 11, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
some person

hrm... Like I said - I'm not sure if I passed or not, so you might not want to listen to me! (and plus, there's the confidentiality agreement...) Check out areforum for test specifics.

Study hard. You'll need it.

Feb 11, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
some person

That's a good point about matrices, beta. I get the sense that it's worth it to spend a few extra minutes to write everything down. There is nothing more distracting than having to toggle back and forth between windows.

Feb 11, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

really?? confidentiality agreement???

well I just hope that studying the Kaplan book and the test bank CD (getting that tomorrow delievered) will do the trick for me. I do understand most of the theories and practical applications. One question was I didnt understand how the moment and overturning moment were calculated (they didn't give a formula for it. - I had to reverse engineer it so-to-speak). Anyways any suggestions do help!

Feb 11, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Squirrelly - when you leave the exam, just remember this:

In undergraduate, I took structures twice, withdrew once, C- the second time.
In grad school, I took it once, and then withdrew. Then I signed up again, and had to do extra credit at mid-semester so that I could withdraw with over a 60% so I wouldn't get an F. The third time I got a C-. Three years later I passed LF and GS on the first try try without having anything more than an understanding of the concepts and one week each of studying under my belt.. After 8 years and two Masters degrees, I still couldn't do the goddamn flagpole questions.

So take heart.

Feb 11, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Good story, Janosh! I took a graduate-level structures course as an undergraduate - big mistake. I didn't do so well.

squirrelly: try to apply your studying to your current projects. For instance, I'm "fortunate" to be working on a project right now that has braced frames, moment frames, AND shear walls. What a trifecta!

Feb 11, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

lol kinda funny Janosh, but definitely words of encouragement (this means alot to me guys).

THank you..

DCA, you are fortunate, but I think I can find "a project" somewhere in teh office to help me "see" those things applied.

Thanks!

Feb 11, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i passed SP - 6 down and crossing my fingers that there only two too go. done with that shitty as graphics software.

yeah.

Feb 12, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

beta,

i don't want to bring you down, but, how if you passed 6 exams do you only have 2 left? i also have passed 6 exams but i have three left. mm, pd, and cd. studying for mm as we speak.

Feb 12, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
some person

CONGRATULATIONS, BETA!

Feb 12, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

sweet beta/ken. but yeah does that mean that you took one and you don't know the results, hence 2 left that you know of for sure??

wow spaceghost, that's great. good luck with mm, I know someone that just took it recently and had a tough time, but maybe he just wasnt really that prepared.

Feb 12, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ghost, i am waiting on 1 score, hence the HOPING that i only have two too go.

Feb 12, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
joshcookie

Can I join in, congrats Beta. Evidently they mail them out in batches. I just found out that I passed my 9th and final computer exam, YEAH! Now about that oral...
j

Feb 13, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
spaceghost
ghost, i am waiting on 1 score, hence the HOPING that i only have two too go.

i've got my fingers crossed for you too. its always a funny feeling having an exam score floating around between prometric, ncarb and your board. even if you know you passed the exam when you left it, there are those moments of shock where you find the answer to a question you didn't know during the exam.

which test did you take last? which tests do you have left?
Feb 13, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

congrats cookie! good luck with the oral. i took ME a couple of weeks ago, and i am waiting on that exam grade, although i think that i'll be taking that one again in july. just GS and LF left.

Feb 13, 07 4:41 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wowsers, congrats cookie!! Kudos.

Feb 13, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
joshcookie

Beta,
I felt the same way about ME and passed. So don't worry about it too much. As a side note, I was absolutely sure I aced BT the first time around, and I didn't.
j

Feb 13, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congrats, josh and beta. Fantastic news.

Feb 13, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
some person

I just got home from BP. I walked out of the test center feeling pretty confident but realized a few (hopefully non-fatal) errors on my way home. I finished the schematic design portion early, but no amount of time would have made me realize the errors I made.

I probably could have studied more for this exam, but I need to remind myself that I'm still in "take 'em and see" mode.

Others have expressed their frustration for the computer program under which the test is administered. However, I did not find it to be too difficult. If you're patient and disassociate it from anything you know about AutoCAD, it's actually pretty easy to use.

*deep breath*

Now it's time to focus on Building Technology in three weeks.

Feb 17, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Passed te ME. I am surprised.

Feb 17, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Congrats Garpike!

Feb 17, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

are tips:

1. in hindsight a good general strategy to get them over with might be to just study the archiflash and browse the als and just take all the exams rapidly , maybe one or 2 a week. the point is that a lot of them are easier than you think or rather that you know a lot of the material already from experience so you can filter out the ones you fail and really study for those - you'll have six months for that...

2. areforum.org is invaluable, they used to have a server/ftp area where members can post their study notes for download. these were very useful.

3. for the 3 graphics - definitely get the are-solutions material, and if you can take the seminars from Prof. Dorf - this guy was a former test grader for many years so you really get an inside view of what they're looking for. also definitely practice the mock exams and get a feel for their version of cad. (you can download for free from ncarb site). also - know your site grading.

4. MM i noticed when i took it had very little to do with the ALS study materials - it was bent on more sustainability and preservation questions, which may be updated in the new Kaplan versions, but definitley expand your study to other materials especially some of the eco/sustainability material recommended on areforum.org

5. structures/ lateral - there are other seminars available besides thadeus. only a small portion of the questions are actually calculation related, some history questions, a lot just common sense.

6. mech - a lot of info to absorb, probably the most of any exam, definitely at least browse MEEB and look at their charts and diagrams.

7. my experience was that after a lot of the exams i left not having an idea of how well i did since so many questions were from left field, or poorly worded, or seemed to have 2-3 correct answers - this is the nature of the exam, and it sucks, but its the prometric peoples party, so just try to crank it out and get done with it. - a good way to keep the flow is to schedule an exam right after you take one so you keep constant momentum. you can always postpone the date if you feel you are not ready (for a fee of course).

8. invest in the materials like als, or kaplan, definitley archiflash, you can always sell them back and recover costs pretty easily.

Feb 18, 07 6:04 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

The UK Landscape Institute has just done away with exams in favor of a mentor system. It's supposed to be more progressive -- I'm not sure yet. If I want to get accredited here I have to find a registered mentor who is willing to devote their time as a service to the profession. I doubt anyone would take on more than one mentee -- so I imagine there aren't loads of mentors to go around -- and for them to be a match, in terms of values, sensibility. I'm trying to figure out if this path makes more sense than the LARE in the states ... they are interchangeable.

Feb 20, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wow sweet Garpike, congrats mate!

Feb 20, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
clenore

I just got the thumbs up from NCARB to start the tests... now i'm in that waiting period.

Does anyone think that studying from 2003's ALS books is a bad idea? I'm not really in a position to buy them all new.

I've heard the flashcards are invaluable.

Good luck to yall.

Feb 23, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Heather, I'm afraid your comment was so freaking bizarre-sounding that no one knew how to respond to it.

Really? No standardized format, just individual mentoring?

I can see it working amazingly well, and can also see it leading to quite a few incredibly inept practitioners constantly reproducing themselves...

Feb 23, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Congrats to everyone who has passed their tests lately, and I think that's most of you. Looks like we have a nice high ratio of those who are forum-friendly : those who are good at ARE exams.

I just got harassed again today for not starting my exams yet. I do not understand why all these mid-level people are so test-centric. What gives anyway? What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Feb 23, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

umm...89.3?

Feb 23, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
some person

So what's holding you back, WonderK?

Feb 23, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

beta, that was funny.

I believe strongly that becoming licensed is a personal decision, and one that is rather like a rite of passage. I think that passing should mean that you are competent and I don't feel like I've been working for competent people for years. They are good people but I've just never been convinced that they know how to put a building together. I feel like trying to get my license right now would be an affirmation of their (what I perceive to be) lack of general knowledge about the realities of modern construction.

That and the fact that they won't pay for it.

Oh, and there's that whole grad school business too.

Feb 23, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Congratulations to all of you that are working your way through the exams. I would definitely encourage anyone that has been waiting to get going.

As I read this thread, I have to wonder why anyone would spread these exams out by more than a few weeks, if even that? What are you waiting for? Yes, I know...you want to study and be 100% ready for the exam. I agree you should study and be ready, but ever since the electronic exam became reality, it seems like people find a way to procrastinate forever. Back when the exam (all portions) was only offered once per year, there was no choice but to go for it.

In my studies, I worked through each section in order and kept repeating the study courses and practice exams until I could get at least 80%. This seemed to serve me well. The only problem I encountered was that the structural exam was one of the last, and I ran out of time to study. By the time I was achieving 80% practice scores on the other tests, I left myself no time to study for structures (it was only one exam, but a very long one, back then). It was too late for me to pull out of the test so I took it figuring it would at least be good practice for next year. Somehow, I passed. That was the biggest surprise of my test-taking experience.

Take the tests and get your license. I've read the various threads on this site discussing whether the license is necessary, or not. You may never stamp a set of plans in your entire career, but let me assure you that clients, contractors, consultants, city officials, etc., expect and assume that they are dealing with a licensed individual. In fact, most attorneys and insurance brokers will advise their architecture firm clients to NEVER send an unlicensed individual to a client meeting or job site unless accompanied by a licensed individual. Yes, many firms do not follow this advice (in some cases they literally do not have enough licensed individuals to cover all the bases).

None of this is meant to resolve the age-old debate about whether unlicensed individuals can be just as qualified, or even more so, than licensed individuals. Of course they can be. You still need the license to do it legally...period.

Good luck.

Feb 23, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Woah..that's deep, WonderK. If you're really concerned about a rite of passage, why not take 8 of the 9 exams, then take the 9th exam when you're good and ready? I'd hate for you to find yourself ready but then be faced with months of testing in front of you.

And please don't let THEM (the people you've worked for) hold YOU back.

Feb 23, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

clenore, I don't particularly think studying from older ALS books is bad, however there may be some items that have been "updated" and hence you may or may not know how to answer them/see them till the day of the exam.

I def think the cards are where it's at, so I've been told. They def hold more info than just the books alone.

Try to see if your current boss will do a trade off of sorts. I just negotiated with mine to have him pay for the testing materials (bundled for 1 test at a time from [url=http://www.kaplanaecarchitecture.com/]Kaplan/url] and I agreed to pay for my own exams. What I then told him was...."look if you don't wanna keep the test materials after I am done with the - for future use by someone i the office - u can sell them on the are forum and I am sure someone will snatch them up".

Maybe that's why he agreed....
so at least this way I get what I need out of it.

best of luck to ya!

Feb 23, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I second that DubK

Feb 23, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

*sigh* good and ready??? Not right now at least.

I have until monday to register for the LARE Multiple-Choice spring special. Too much is happening in my life right now to feel that one month is enough to review all that I want to review (depending on which study material I choose, I have over 1000 pages to read). Maybe I could pass two of the three sections cold (I seem to have a better grasp of the AIA contracts - yes, they are on the LARE - then other 'scapers ). But for now, I'm aiming for the June graphic sections.

Unlike NCARB, the CLARB and the local boards are still enchanted with old fashion pencil and paper for the graphic tests. Maybe I'll get a cordless eraser just for the test. That gives me three or so months to perfect my freehand site planning, grading, and 'design' testing skilz. From what I've seen in the practice material, the tests are very removed from what I've been practicing (mostly planning and urban design), but health, safety, and welfare are interdisciplinary pursuits.

I finally lined up my third LA reference for my CLARB record - that just leaves taking the tests! (though some states make you suffer for a few years before granting the license.)

With the way things are playing out, i should get my RLA the same day I wrap up IDP.

Feb 23, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: