Archinect
anchor

Your ARE and LARE One Stop Shop

mfrech

thanks for the cheer, JW!

Apr 21, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

mfrench - good luck on passing an exam under 3.1. Then you can keep taking the 3.1 exams and use everyones old study materials that they're just giving away these days.

Don't worry about messing up the CD exam. That's one I had bad feelings about too. Studying the Kaplan didn't help much. Years of experience did help. Do take the structural exams back to back. They're easier than you might think. Good luck on predesign. I probably studied more for that than any other exam, but found it quite easy as a result. My only advise for studying is don't do months of studying, taking time off work for study, etc., you'll burn yourself out. These exams are more intimidation than difficulty.

Apr 22, 08 8:14 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks for all the advice, aqua: i think you're right about the study strategy...i let the CD studying drag on and on, and i think that, along with with relying too heavily on Kaplan and my relative inexperience ended up dooming my ass.

i am taking a bit of a different tack for PD, a more concentrated study schedule and a broader variety of sources...here goes!

and thanks again!

Apr 22, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

...and we're back. i received a nice little PASS letter over the weekend on my PD exam, and am now in 3.1...no automatic transition just yet for me.

now it's a matter of plotting my sequence...an schoolmate who is well into his exams recommended getting into the graphic exams at this point, which seems pretty wise, seeing as how they tend to fan out more in the transition than the multiple choice exams.

May 27, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Wow - that was a squeaker, mfrench! Congratulations. Now knock out the other 8 before it's even time to re-take CD.

May 27, 08 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

exactly Just Why...it was something of a buzzer-beater. powering through sounds good to me, thanks for the nudge!

May 27, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

congratulations, mfrech...

got the letter from arnold schwarzenegger today and i'm in 3.1 also.

took MM on may 10, then just for insurance i took PD 5 days later (last day to take a test for 3.1). i passed MM (unbelievable) but failed PD (believable).

i'll be studying for mechanical and electrical next but will put a splash of structures here in there. one of the dudes at the structural engineering office next to ours offered to help me with any question i may have regarding structures.

Jun 2, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
some person

yay dammson! Definitely take the structural engineer up on his offer. There are some concepts on the structural sections that are downright hard.

Jun 2, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

congrats on MM, dammson! and it sounds like the structural fella could be a great resource. one of my good friends is a PE and he offered to help me with the mech./elect. exam, when i get to it. i say exploit these people for all they're worth, hehe!

Jun 2, 08 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

*bump* and an ARE update: I got my SP pass in the mail monday...7 more to go.

(i'm hoping to complete all 9 by the time that the economy has been rendered so pathetic that my freshly minted stamp can only be useful to bludgeon people that try to take my precious, precious gasoline once we've descended into a real life mad-max scenario.)

Sep 17, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

nice...

Sep 17, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hey, my license is printed on flash paper...

Sep 17, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hurumph bumpity bump.

Dec 2, 08 5:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know what, i reread what i posted after i passed my final exam, and sad to say nearly 2 years after completing that god damned exam, and i am still yet to do anything i said i'd have time to do, fucking lazy douche. i suck. i am a poseur. lame. fucktard.

Mar 2, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes but you have pissed a lot of people off and made a number of powerful enemies.

Mar 2, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL and by the way, vado, congrats to you. I know I've said it in person, but never posted it here.

beta, hush. You're still building and we all know it takes a long, long time in this profession.

Mar 2, 09 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i don't know how many of you are NCARB certified or are currently record holders taking the ARE's or preparing to take the ARE's, but i am a little surprised that there has not been any discussion on the latest issue of NCARB's Direct Connection - i've had it for about a week. NCARB seems to have done a relatively good job of explaining a lot of outstanding and confounding issues regarding; fees, exam structure, cheating, grading policies, formats, and why exam scores cannot be immediately known.

Dec 3, 09 6:09 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think i recycled the latest issue without even looking at it.

Dec 3, 09 8:23 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

*bump*

Feb 17, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

good bump le bossman... i just took construction documents and services... was my 1st one... test 2 PPP is in a couple weeks...

anyone got any good tips for the PPP test?

Feb 17, 11 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

PPP i found to be reasonably similar to construction documents. I pretty much just used the ArchiFlash flashcards only, and put some practice vignette solutions on the areforum.

good luck!

I have CDS, PPP, SD and SPD all done and passed, but just got a fail for structures, which wasnt really that unexpected, since i tried to rush it in before the holidays. ah well

I am starting to study for BS now

Feb 18, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

i second marmkid's recommendations. i found Archiflash immensely helpful for all divisions. also, it was indeed similar to CDS.

when i took the 3.1 equivalent of PPP, i believe i used kaplan and ballast books & mock exams and Dorf's Solutions for the vignette.

and as always, areforum.org is a great resource. good luck!

Feb 18, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thanks for the great resources and perspective, all

Oct 2, 11 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow! an oldie but, a goodie, thanks for finding this jmang. did you finish?

Oct 2, 11 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

actually, I am just starting.  this thread got me up and running very quickly with respect to finding study aids and figuring out some strategy --- some of which seems to still be relevant for ARE 4.0.

Oct 3, 11 2:07 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

any recent updates?

thank you

Aug 11, 13 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow! i have fond memories of this. 

Aug 11, 13 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the blackout period is in effect.

Aug 12, 13 9:37 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

We've always been in effect ;)

Aug 12, 13 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

I am starting an ARE Study group in Chicago to meet on Thursdays 6-8 ish.  I find having a team motivates you to eek out time to study and if we get enough people we should have experts in each area. The study Group is posted online with the Chicago Young Architect's Forum on Meet up. Plan is to rotate through the best Chicago Coffee shops first date set is Thursday August 29th location is the Intelligentsia Coffee Shop on North Broadway.

Are lots of folks taking he exams before they finish their IDP? I Personally have 150 hours to go in 3 hard to get categories. I think I will start saving money for the fees but I set a goal to start testing once  reached the point that IDP can be finished with or without a job which means each core category has to be under 40 hours.

best of luck and hope to see you on Thursdays

Peter N

Aug 13, 13 7:17 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Peter N, can we meet at the coffee shop on the corner of 63rd and ashland?

Aug 13, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know that one, I figure we rotate around the city so to have a bit of adventure with it and to be as equitable location wise as possible. Some folks may need some coaxing to go that far south on the green line after dark into Engelwood But maybe.

Aug 13, 13 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

How abt 26 & california? Lol

Aug 14, 13 12:16 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

if you have a question on the ARE that says please choose 4, if you miss one do you miss the whole question?

Sep 21, 13 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yep.

Sep 21, 13 10:41 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bump

May 19, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

ok, but why? ... and liking your own post from 2013 ... why?

May 19, 20 7:46 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Self love is always good , and thought that this was a good thread that the youngins can glean information from.

May 19, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I went back and reviewed the early posts, man, has this test changed. Most of the stuff on the first 5 pages are mostly useless.

May 19, 20 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

I'm realizing now that even some of the stuff I posted above is mostly useless. "ARE order of exams. Thoughts?" is all about 4.0. "Thoughts RE: ARE 5.0 Credit Model" also doesn't really apply anymore because the transition from 4.0 to 5.0 already happened.

May 19, 20 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Exactly, I'm sure the strategies for taking these have changed too.

May 19, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

The strategy now seems to be to spend a bunch of money on study guides and study groups, read until you're ready to puke (don't bother about internalizing the information), pay more for some practice tests, ask people online if the practice tests are like the real thing (because you did poorly on them), take the test and then complain about how NCARB is out to get you and all other aspiring architects. At least that's what I can glean from lurking in the facebook group.

May 20, 20 6:57 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: