Archinect
anchor

Your ARE and LARE One Stop Shop

treekiller

opps, i confused you with dsc_arch...

the LARE scores are announced on a day that hasn't been specified yet. As clarb states, the results will be announced mid-august. So they have us walking on eggshells till then....

Aug 15, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Hey Chicago people,

I just set up a AIA / ARE study hall, that's going to be on Wednesday nights 6pm to 8-9 at the AIA chicago office (35 E Wacker Drive, Suite 250).

So don't say I never did nuthin' fer ya!

Aug 15, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

Anyone know how long you can take between becoming authorized to take the exams and then actually taking them?

Aug 15, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

depends on whether you are doing direct registration or going through your state board. state board can take 3-9 months, direct register i had mine in 3 days.

Aug 16, 07 5:09 am  · 
 · 
some person

it also depends on computer seat availability at Prometric. For instance, I was able to schedule my very first exam 1.5 months after I received my authorization to test number because it was the first Saturday available.

Aug 16, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

like mfrech, i have nothing to contribute yet...i bought the ballast study book a week ago. it took me an hour of walking around in the bookstore with the book in my hand to finally say, "fuck it, i'll spit out the 108 bucks for this damn book"...

i have some self assessment to do in order to create a nice study schedule (let's see what happens). in the meantime, i've started with the first chapter. i'm thinking of focusing first on areas where i big time suck...then move on to areas where i least suck.

Aug 16, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
some person

dammson: I would suggest giving each subject a once-over before getting too in-depth in one topic. There is a lot of ground to cover. In my opinion, the exam questions test for general understanding and common sense.

Good luck to both you and mfrench.

Aug 16, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks DCA and dammson: i too had thought about delving deeply into one subject at a time, trying to compartmentalize this stuff would help--but you make a good point DCA, this stuff is ultimately interconnected.

Aug 16, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
cmdace18

thanks for the information!

Aug 17, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

June 2007 LARE results are in:
FAIL section C
PASS section E!!!!!!

I was expecting the opposite results.

diagnosis of section C (site planning):
1 2 3 1 3 1

meaning:
1 At or above the level required to pass. These are the content areas in which your performance was at or above the level required to pass this subsection.
2 Slightly below the level required to pass. These are the content areas in which your performance was slightly below the level required to pass this subsection.
3 Well below the level required to pass. These are the content areas in which your performance was well below the level required to pass this subsection.

So this reads as:
OK- Evaluate design alternatives to determine appropriate solution.

Almost OK-Design circulation systems.

Not OK-Create design alternatives to demonstrate the range of options.

OK-Develop conceptual design, planning, and management solutions considering on-site and off-site influences.

Not OK- Predict implications of design, planning, and management proposals on natural and cultural systems both within the site and in the larger context.

OK- Synthesize and make connections between aspects of landscape architecture and disciplines outside of landscape architecture including consultant studies.

not sure when I'll resume my testing since my current office didn't agree to pay for the exams (though this could be negotiated later). I also need to spend at least one year working with another LA to fulfill all the registration requirements.... Maybe I'll start the ARE next.

Aug 20, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
some person

Congratulations on

Aug 20, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
some person

...Section E!

Is it really worth it to wait for your employer to pay for the exams? Especially in terms of time lost waiting to negotiate?

Aug 20, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

The test finances are weighing heavily on me right now. This round of exams was a $700 hit that will take a few months to pay off (since I got laid off just before them). So is it worth spending another $900+ for the retest and the other two sections, with my current job at an architecture firm & the one year under the required supervision of a registered LA nowhere on the horizon?

I don't seem to gain much by finishing all the exams before I get into a spot where I will gain the extra compensation... I'm sitting out the fall test date (for the two remaining multiple choice exams) and at the soonest will start testing again in the winter.

Aug 20, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

DCA, thanks, i'm following your suggestion...i've shifted gears

what i'm doing is reading the outline of the chapters and the following explanations...but just enough depth to be able to explain some of the topics and concepts in a sentence or two (the simplified core). I will do this for the rest of the chapters and i'm anticipating that by the time i've gone through the whole study book, that i will have a clue on what division to study more in depth and schedule for a test...(again, let's see what happens).

regarding the study...this book is taking me on another level. i've been reading on the bus primarily, and a look out the window to find some examples complements the book well...

Aug 24, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

so I just took the Methods and Materials section.....

What is BONDERIZING?

It was a question.

Aug 31, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i don't know what it is...but it sounds awesome!

Aug 31, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

Bonderizing
The coating of steel with a film composed largely of zinc phosphate in order to develop a better bonding surface for paint or lacquer.

Bonderized steel has a matte, dark gray finish, somewhat irregular.

Aug 31, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
some person

... an update.

I re-took Building Technology over the weekend. I think I did a lot better than the first time. Or else they realized that the test was too hard last time, and they made it easier? :) I was thrilled with my stair design this time, and I definitely knew the ceiling/MEP layout strategy better this time too.

I just scheduled what I hope is my final exam: General Structures, November 10th. In my opinion, GS is by far the most difficult exam; the questions are the hardest to rationalize.

Again, there was a glitch with my authorization to test number. I called ARE Operations this morning (1-800-896-2272) (8:30 Eastern Time), and my number was uploaded for registration this evening.

carry on...

Oct 15, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

nicely done DCA...

i am in the process of waiting to hear from Prometric for my authorization to begin testing. it's now over the 40 day mark that NCARB suggests it should take to hear from them once they have transmitted your record info to the state...

does anyone have any experience waiting super-long for this process? and has anyone benefitted from incessantly hounding NCARB? i have yet to try this approach. thanks.

Oct 15, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
some person

One of my co-workers is in the same boat, mfrech. NCARB has stated that they are overwhelmed with applications right now... take that for what it's worth.

Oct 15, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

ah...that sounds like NCARB, alright. thanks DCA and good luck w/ the results.

Oct 15, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

mfrech, I'm just over 60 days for same.

Oct 16, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

sheesh, starbear. have you contacted either NCARB, Prometric, or your state's board to any avail?

Oct 16, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

[oh, and i realize that this thread is not the place to whine, i'm just trying to figure out how it works in real life.]

Oct 16, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

haven't.

Oct 16, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

wow - didnt know this thread existed - 7 down, 2 structures to go, just found out last night after 6 anxiety ridden weeks of waiting i have retake on of all things, that nasty little interiors vignette. Im absolutely mystified what I could have done wrong, checked the clearances multiple times, had turning radi etc. Ah the joy that is the informal computer xam.

Next up GS and LF. Was method of joints and sections method helpful for truss problems?

mfrench - i waited about 6 months

Oct 16, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks, EP...i was going to ask you if bugging them helped anything...but i guess it didn't!

i guess i can use all this extra waiting time to start studying...

Oct 16, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I have to say the graphics portion is more difficult than it first appears. its not rocket science but its very easy to overlook something - i only downloaded the NCARB practice software and did that but I hear from people the Prof. Dorf. practice xams are more valuable.

Oct 16, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Here's a link to the ARE Transition Chart that translates which exams you need to pass before the 4.0 rollover.

I really hope that my Building Technology results come back as a PASS - this time or in the next two attempts - or else I'll need to take Bulding Design & Construction Systems, Building Systems, Construction Documents & Services, and Structural Systems in the new 4.0. Yikes.

Nov 3, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
m

thank goodness building technology is the one graphic exam I did just pass. I don't know if I could sit through that again. I'm still mystified by what I did wrong on the other two. exams are brutal.

Nov 3, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Congrats on passing BT, m. I've seen no consistent pattern among the pass/fail rates of the graphic exams, meaning I know people who have passed 2/3 on the first try, but each seems to have failed a different exam.

Nov 3, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
m

Thanks! I almost fell over when I got my results. I did walk out of there pretty disheartened after somehow failing the other two. The parts I thought I blew I passed, and the parts I felt like I aced I blew. Sucks there is a certain amount of pure luck involved in these. Trick is not to take it too hard and just keep trying. I know people that have failed one and just completely given up.

Nov 4, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
some person

I got the score reports for the most recent exams that I took...

....drumroll please....

I PASSED!!! All 9 divisions. Done.

Nov 24, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

word up!

now you're allowed to be unproductive for the next month or so...guilt free

Nov 24, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Congrats DCA!

Nov 24, 07 4:42 am  · 
 · 
some person

Wow - I never expected that I would get fireworks :) Thanks damson and beta!

Nov 24, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 

congratulations DCA!

Nov 24, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 

congrats DCArchitect!!! now the board can't sue you for your nome d'plume...

Nov 24, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Actually, I selected my alias after the airport code (I live in Virginia but work in DC...just like the airport). That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks abra and tk. :)

Nov 24, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, DCA, congratulations!! I haven't been following this thread, thank goodness treekiller pointed it out in editor's picks or I wouldn't have known. Yay!!!!!!

Nov 25, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Thanks liberty bell. I'm really humbled by all of this attention.

...okay, who's next in the hopper? Some of you must be getting close to passing all or close to re-taking the few that you've been waiting 6 months for.

Nov 25, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well don't feel humbled. It is a huge, wonderfual accomplishment to get registered - be proud of yourself, hell, be a little cocky about it and enjoy it for awhile!

Nov 25, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

I'm just waiting for a few more hours of DD/CD to get IDP in the can - all these months working on master plans doesn't do the trick. DCA passing was worthy of the attention. Hope we can make this part of the EP tradition.

Nov 25, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Looking at that transition chart it says we have until June 2009 to pass everything under the ARE 3.1. That's over a year away and would require failing a test multiple times. I've only got 4 to go so not too worried. Should I?

Nov 26, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 

congrats, dca! welcome to the other side. keep things current and you never have to do any of that stuff ever again.

Nov 26, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Daniel Ashworth, Jr.

As far as the LARE is concerned, I have A TON of material I can email to interested parties.

Just shoot me an email at: dashworthjr2000@yahoo.com to let me know when you are taking it and what sections.

Daniel

Nov 26, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

d- you don't need to post your email, registered users can click on your name and from your profile, send an email to you...

but I'll take you up on the offer. email will be sent later.

Nov 26, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Thanks Steven.

aquapura: I was getting slightly nervous about the transition to 4.0. I think I figured that if I got all my exams in by the end of this year, I would have 3 (or at least 2) more chances to pass any I failed.

Nov 26, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'd rather take less exams then more exams. happy to wait for are 4.0.

Nov 26, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
thelarchitect

I took Section E of the LARE yesterday (second time around). In my opinion, it seems like the available study material for Section E has not kept up with the actual content of the test. The post June 2006 versions of the test seem to emphasize the design of stormwater facilities (ie, detention basins) more than I have come across in any practice vignette.

This is the final section I need to pass. In case I have to retake it again, any advice for the post 2006 Section E?

Dec 5, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: