Archinect
anchor

Your ARE and LARE One Stop Shop

m

took GS last week, taking LF today. I was surprised at the amount of calculations that were required for GS, I think 15 out of 85 were calc based. I tried the concept study approach instead of getting hung up on the math so we'll see if it worked.

Apr 17, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

PASSED LARE section A - yipee!

a little good news in the midst of turmoil....

Apr 17, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congrats tk. Good to get some good news!

Apr 17, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

yes congrats TREE.....thats what I look forward too.....passing one of these friggin exams.....feeling so deflated right now

Apr 17, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
jones

Hang in there squirrelly...I know what you mean it is a frustrating process! I've failed those friggin exams more times than I care to admit. They are easy to underestimate!

Apr 19, 07 2:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

informal poll time.

i am scheduled to take GS next monday and feel after taking the Kaplan quizzes and exam i am not ready, in fact it pisses me off that i am having problems with the non calcs, so my question is this -

Postpone or Take the fucker and let it ride?

Apr 24, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 

postpone if it don't cost too much. would you rather fail and retake or struggle through studying a few more weeks?

Apr 24, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
m

I'd spend at least 2 hours a day for the next week going over everything and take the exam. If you still don't feel confident I would get some other sources to study from to supplement the kaplan. Chylinski's workbooks are good (archexamprep.com) and the archiflash cards are good. The kaplan test bank cd is also good practice because it mimicks the exam. The final quiz in the back of the kaplan book is a little over the top as far as how indepth the questions are actually going to be on the exam. I just wouldn't postpone the test more than a couple more weeks if you are going to postpone it because general structures seems to leak out of the brain much quicker than the other exams. good luck. Also, I found taking LF right after GS to be a huge benefit cause I was still in structures mode.

Apr 24, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that's my gameplan...

Apr 24, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

stourley.

i would spend my time going over the kaplan book and confirming that i understand the concepts. rather than memorize a formula understand what each of the variables are and what it means to the equation when the variables change. you can probably pass the whole exam without getting a single calculation question correct. i can't verify this but calculations were definitely in the minority on my exam. the practice exams are very helpful. take as many as you can. take them over and over again. i think it builds confidence and gets you used to weird language and questions you were not prepared for. if you can get your hands on the kaplan computer exams do so. the flashcards were also very helpful for me in the general structures section.

i agree with m, don't postpone too long, and if you do postpone set a new date immediately so that you don't stop studying.

best of luck!

it has been a year since i took gs but below is some of what i posted on the are forum about my gs exam experience.

there was about 40 conceptual questions. there was no math involved in these, maybe some recognition of a formula, or understanding of the theory of the formula and what it is calculating. also expect to be questioned on your understanding of the construction process (ie you are a designer who shows up to the site and are presented with such and such information what are your options or what do you do. also be prepared to say which system is best or worst for which use/layout. understand how different structural members work. know how the forces pass through them and how these forces look graphically. this is true for every material.

there were about 10 calculation questions. i never found anything in the reference material. so what was in the reference material? basic geometries of areas you learned in junior high school. beam diagrams ( a lot of them), conversion from ft to meters etc, w section tables (never used), bolts (nothing helpful there), certain load allowances by code(there was never a need to look at this), some stuff for the great white north, because i wrote down all of my formulae right as the test started i didn’t need to look for formulas so i have no idea if or how they are written. as i said before the calculations were all quite straightforward. simple questions, be able to think laterally and understand what out of their information you really need. i tried to understand how to solve each type of problem when i was studying for the exam. its everyone’s question here so i will answer it, there was no calculation of a truss.

there were about 10 question about foundation or soil. know the classifications of soil and how to pick a foundation system. know what the how the different pieces of a foundation interact with each other. know how to test soil. know what the tests are for. know how to prepare a soil for construction. know how to deal with different soil conditions.

there were 10 masonry or concrete questions. again understand the concepts more than anything. i didn’t need to calculate rebar area or anything like that.

there were about 5 code questions. does this or that follow the code. what is the minimum or maximum per code.

there were about 5 connection questions. know how different materials are connected at different places along a structure. how do you connect similar or non-similar materials. what do the connectors look like? where is one more appropriate than another.

there was 3 cost type questions. which system is more economical / expensive for this type of construction. what is the percentage of construction cost for different building types?

there were 3 understand a beam or its reaction type questions.

the missing ones were an assortment of wood, steel, etc…

Apr 24, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Yes I agree with what was suggested Stourley.

best of luck. I plan to take mine in about 3 wks. GS that is, so Space...thanks for the info, it's quite helpful.

Thanks jones....I am glad I can occasionally get support from the gang on archinect. These exams aren't that easy (esp. for me who is a very bad test taker)

Apr 24, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I'm done! (...for now)

Today marked the culmunation of Phase 1 of my ARE test taking strategy. For those of you just tuning in, Phase 1 consisted of taking all 9 exams in a relatively successive fashion. I took my first exam last December and the 9th exam today.

Results so far:

Passed 5
Failed 1
Awaiting Results for 3

Phase 2 starts tomorrow. It entails detailed, in-depth studying for the exam(s) I failed.

beta: Did you get all 9 of your PASS letters yet?

May 12, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i got LF on monday, i am going through the 2007 ALS for the IBC changes and plan on taking mock exams tomorrow and finishing up with some MM review, some ching and some IBC and then some sleep.

still waiting on GS took it two weeks ago and i am still not confident i did well, we'll see...it was passable, i just made some stupid choices, won't happen again though.

i look at this way if i must take GS/LF again i plan on lightly studying for the first 3 or 4 months and then hammering away at the last two, and then take them the same week.

good on you DCA.

May 13, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
some person

beta - it sounds like you will be more than prepared for LF. Sleep is probably your best strategy right now.

Oh - one other thing that I will philosophize about, which occurred to me during my exam yesterday: I feel that having experience with both commercial and residential architecture helped me to understand many more of the concepts on the exams. Expecially commercial experience. Take LF, for example. How often do residential architects consider base shear when designing wood frame houses? On the other hand, the commercial building I'm working on right now has three types of resisting elements: shear walls, braced frames, and moment frames. And we're not even in an earthquake zone.

And hat's off to the consultants (structural, elevator, MEP) with whom I talk on a regular basis. I've learned a lot from them just by trying to understand their contributions to the project and asking questions about how their work integrates with the architecture of the building.

Thus, I wonder if my test-taking knowledge would have been limited had I only done commercial architecture in my career. I know I would have been at a disadvantage had a I done only residential architecture. I know everyone cringes at the simplification of architecture into residential and commercial, but I think it's appropriate for this comparison.

May 13, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Well, got my GS score back today. That's another exam I don't have to take! 8 down 1 score left. Here's to hoping that that by 2nd week of June I am once and for all in the brother/sisterhood...

Shit, am I glad or what?! Fuck yeah!

May 21, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
jones

Good job SK! Congratulations!!!

May 21, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

stourley, it will be nice to have you back as a contributing member of archinect again. fuck yeah!

May 21, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

rite on bettaman.....start to think of size of your stamp. 1-1/2" dia. is good.

May 22, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks everyone. abra, do you think i could get one that will cut my signature into the paper like a doily?

May 22, 07 5:08 am  · 
 · 
Yahweh

anyone have any thoughts on what i need to do AFTER all my exams are passed; like forms i have to fill out, people i need to contact, how do i get my license number....etc?

anyone have their license through direct registration that can help in this regard?

May 23, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Yes, beta - congratulations on your 8 PASS letters.

A follow-up on my 5/12/07 post:

Final Results:

Passed 7
Failed 2 (BP, GS)

This kinda shoots to hell my theory about consultants.

Anyways, assuming I'll be able to pass the remaining two exams in 4-5 months, I will say that my plan to take all 9 exams in rapid succession was a good one. While it would have been nice to pass all 9 exams the first time, I recognized that I might fail a few; and that's okay.

May 26, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

congrats on working the plan DCA! you'll take out the other two no problem!

when i do get my seal, i'd really like to get something unique, any thoughts??

May 26, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
some person

thanks beta :)

hrmm.. I guess I never really thought about the design of the stamp. Does each state mandate a certain design? Or does it just need to say your name, state, designation as Architect, and registration number?

re: doilies as mentioned above; I'm curious if an embosser would hold up as an official seal. Definitely not as quick as a stamp.

May 26, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

re/tool: in a direct registration state you should get a letter from NCARB a couple weeks after you finish that says "congrats, you're done", and then NCARB should send your record to your state within the next 5 weeks (30 business days). But you may need to check up on them to make sure they do this.
Depending on which state you're in you may receive a packet of info from the state automatically or you may need to contact the state to request it, or download if off their website. Usually there is an application form that you need to send in with a fee. Then you have to wait for the state to process you - which can take just days in some states but up to a couple months in states where they have to vote on you at a board meeting. Then you usually have to pay your annual dues, and then you get your license.

DCA: stamp design is mandated by each state. You can see them all here: http://www.engineerseals.com/
Your state will usually send you their rules about stamps when they issue your license. They usually have to meet certain dimensional requirements too. Whether you're allowed to use an embosser, a rubber stamp, and/or a digital seal are all state-specific rules (and in some states it also depends on the type of project you're stamping...)

May 26, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

woah - thanks for the link, Formerlyunknown.

The state of Washington has the most unique stamp. Idaho also shows the state outline, but it's not as cool, in my opinion.

May 27, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i guess i should clarify, i meant the stamp holder and not the stamp, i figured that what ever the state's official stamp/seal i would be forced to use. i would like to use something more befitting of my status as an elite member, of an elite profession - tongue firmly planted in cheek.

May 28, 07 5:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's official, I am now an Architect! Damn, that feels good to say.

Uh, now what?!

May 29, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

you need to be congratulated beta.

CONGRATULATIONS....

May 29, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Congrats Kracklite!!!!!!! What about a brand as a stamp? Seal the drawings and the client.

May 29, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Thanks Orhan and HYS! I didn't want to jinx it by saying this, but I wore my black Architecture Sucks on my last exam - LF - and the people there laughed, and said well I guess we know what you're here to take. I told them it was my last exam, and they just grinned.

I am so looking forward to doing all the things I put off until I got this done; writing, competitions, working on my own ideas, painting, drawing, thinking and doing the art that is architecture!

Damn, what a relief!

Now it's paperwork, NCARB certification, AIA, and getting a business license. All things that I will look to reference this site for the how-to's and what not to do's...

Thanks gang!

Perhaps one day, I'll even write something that'll be worthy of Archinect, and they'll ask me to be a guest editor!

Now, it's time for my cuban cigar!

May 29, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

SK you are my hero. congrats.

May 29, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Ooooh, I am soooo jealous! I wish I lived in a state where passing the ARE was enough to be licensed. I passed the last one in January and the soonest I could schedule the California Supplemental was September and half way across the state...
Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS, well done!
j

May 29, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

SK- congrats!!!!!! that is worth a phone call.

May 29, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Many Congratulations, beta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting this thread must have brought you good luck.

May 29, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

How many people have taken David Thaddeus's structres workshop? I know it's really good prep, but I don't think I'll be able to swing it financially, and I'm wondering if I'll be totally, hopelessly screwed without it or if I can study a lot harder and pass.

Jun 4, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

congrats s.k. that is a real accomplishment. i have two more to go. i'm hoping to start taking them on next month.

hys- i don't think you need the thaddeus lecture. i took both gs and lf without taking the seminar and did fine on the exams the first time through. get your hands on the kaplan and ballast books and you should be fine.

Jun 4, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

HYS - i have taken the workshop, it's worth it if the people in the class are not numbnuts. goto areforum.org and download the notes for the class there and save a few hundy.

thanks spaceghost! good luck on your final 2.

Jun 4, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Thanks for the advice.

Jun 4, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

So far the LARE experience is going swimmingly... section C (site planning), earlier today, matched the study materials I used in type and difficulty. Only difference was each vignette had more site analysis/evaluation of environmental conditions then the practice problems - no problem. On one vignette, i had to cut down a single tree (but there was no other option without chopping down more), as I was leaving happened to glance at another test taker and they had clearcut 4 trees to fit their program items.

had plenty of time, the longest vignette took 65 minutes, the others took between 45 minutes to 55 minutes (then I took a 5 minute break after each). wrapped up with a 1/2 hour review (and added a few more radii annotations and marked the drop-off/pick-up parallel parking spaces, traced over a few lines in a darker pencil) and then called it a day. left 15 minutes before the time was up....

yeah!!!! one down, another to go.

Jun 11, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

suwheat killa, left the exam and only murdered one tree! are you soprano lite?

Jun 11, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

way2go tk!!!

Jun 11, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
some person

treekiller is not living up to his moniker. (Congrats on making it through another exam)

Jun 11, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

if the exam instructions had specified maximize not minimize environmental impact, I would have clearcut the mountain side and dynomited all the rock outcroppings with 'prehistoric' fossils too. Just taking the test as the man wants me to. what do I have to do next, eat 3 dozen hardboiled eggs in one hour?

I'll have a report on stormwater management this afternoon...

Jun 12, 07 8:06 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Got my GS coming up this weekend. Starting to get nervous as I read and reread the Kaplan books and seem not to be remembering the stuff. Or at least not pulling up my long forgotten college structures courses.

Any advise from those of you that took it recently? I've been plowing through the Kaplan books, flashcards, practice tests. Anything else? Feels like this exam I can't rely on years of experience to carry me through any questions. True?

Jun 12, 07 8:20 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Not many clouds, just lots of eraser dust from grading up a storm... seems that they moved the stormwater calculations to one of the multiple choice sections, so no need to apply q=cIA today... 2 easy sections, siting a building pad and grading a croquette lawn. two tedious and longer vignettes, grading a parking lot and picnic pavilion with lots of swales, and some terraces with stairs... this one left me more brain dead (all that arithmatic) then yesterdays...

oh, there were no trees to chop down today ~:-( had to keep out of the treeline or fail the problem...

'Architecture Sucks' got no comments from the other test takers - man they were lame...

Jun 12, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

nothing to contribute here (yet), i just want to latch on to the email updates, heh.

though i did learn a week ago that Massachusetts has approved IDP and ARE concurrently. so i think, barring some massive and tragic misinterpretation of the new regulation here, i'm on board!

Aug 14, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Huh, guess I didn't need any advise from you losers. Since my last post I've taken and passed both General Structures and Lateral Forces. Boo yah!

Taking a break before starting into the graphics portions this fall.

Aug 14, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I just scheduled my Building Technology re-take. Although I got a new Autorization to Test letter for General Structures, the Prometric site will not let me register for it; I guess it has to be at least 4 months from the date of the previous exam, even if they've sent you a new ATT letter. *shrugg*

Aug 14, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

DCA- I always though you were registered already. How can you be a principal in a firm and not be registered? is it a loophole in Illinois law?

As to my LARE scores, I'm stuck waiting for another few days till they announce the results....

Aug 14, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
some person

tk: I'm flattered that you've confused me with someone with the stature of a principal. Alas, I'm not a principal in a firm nor do I work in Illinois :)

The LARE results are announced on a given day? Or are you just estimating the time between when you took the exam and when you expect to get results?

Aug 14, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: