Archinect
anchor

Forum Building

MADianito

Does anyone knows?? i mean, anyone who has been there, please tell me ur honest opinion.... Is the Forum Building by Herzog & DeMeuron actually cool or "pretty" in real life???, cause all the pics i had seen, im not sure i like it, but lot of people who had seen it in person had told me the perception is totally different in real life....

also, what about FOA's park in the same complex?? seemed bigger when i saw renderings and plans, and in the pictures dont seem to big, and or as cool as i expected from them... i will apreciate ur enlightment:

Aug 2, 04 10:34 am
Francisco David Boira

I have a lot of pretty nasty shots of the Forum building.
At the time Herzog & De Meuron weren’t sure about what to do during the design since the program given was very vague. The result is a building that looks better in pictures rather than in real life.
In additon, the interiors are non existent with temporary drywall construction all over the current event.

As far as FOA's park; that is quite big and tiring to walk through the whole landscape. Its scale, undulating topography, and curved walls make you feel small and out of place. It doesn’t feel very nice nor safe.
If FOA’s intent was to create some kind of spatial quality that triggers anxiety, and lack of connection with the rest of the city then I believe it is quite successful.
I have some "dirty" shots from the interior of the forum building...I might post them as well. :)

Aug 2, 04 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Rjair

I went there in June with no expectations as I was completely unaware that it was a H De M Building.I found it quite crude to be honest. Almost a pale imitation of their earlier work. The surface treatment resembled a sort of spray-on chunky blue cottage cheese that seemed like it was deliberately covering up some shoddy construction below. The interior was non descript black box stuff. I also feel it's siting didn't enhance the connection between the city grid and the waterfront at all. But maybe that wasn't the intent. Try harder boys. 3/10.

Again, I was unaware that the site plan was FOA. But now that you mention it, I see re-occuring themes to Yokohama. It is tiring to walk around but there are many opportunities to lie around the site for a siesta. The spaces did feel barren and fragmented but the day I went (a Friday) wasn't very busy so I probably didn't experience the site in it's best light.

The Nouvel Tower looks the goods.

Aug 2, 04 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Yeah i had seen Nouvel tower myself during the cobstruction, and now that i had seen recent photos i can say it looks better everyday...i remember i used to hate the renders when the tower was still in design work, and now, getting closer to its completion, it looks great

Aug 2, 04 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: