Archinect
anchor

The Balkanization of America

evilplatypus

Way back at the start of this people jokingly pointed out the size and breadth of Michigan - the great lake state. Joking aside the great lakes region goes from NY to Minn and is a cross cultural water way that gets little respect. Most of North America's pop. lives in this region and its our coolest intl. border. Maybe it would get more respect as the real 3rd coast if it did secceed and start importing/ exporting it's wares without the meddling of congress and the southern subsidies, which artificially drive down costs.

Nov 27, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

who was joking? the peninsulario empire rules the central coast! we showed ohio that we aren't afraid to invade out neighbors

Nov 28, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

also, who ever drew up that colored map above clearly doesn't know anything about the united states.

Nov 28, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I wonder if the people of the United States would let the State of Wyoming slip away from the Union. They could let Dick C. be the first President. I'm sure they would relish in selling their oil, gas and coal and the other unmentionable mineral to the USA. I'm sure they would want their Capital to Located in Jackson Hole, near their National Park formally known as Yellow Stone National Park. I'm sure the USA wouldn't miss for a minute all the revenue taken from current federal lands for mining and Cattle/Sheep ranching. Hell there are less than a million people in the whole state. I'm Sure the people wouldn't be missed. So let them take a strong stand like the did for womanhood,
back when women weren't allowed to vote......I hope you realize this is just bull wacky....but a thought which might be dwelling in the minds of those individuals holding out in Wyoming for the moment when the timing is right.

Nov 28, 06 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Rim Joist: First, you inherited the house from your parents - just like the bad luck people get from being born into poverty or families with bad medical histories.

IMO The government is the best (better than the private sector and individual) where the need is distributed (our levee/flooding problem being the ongoing example) and where profit is not the primary goal (protection from flooding is the primary goal.)

Not saying that a private company couldn't be hired (of course, you'd have to all pitch in to pay them - and without taxes, I'm interested to hear how you're going to do that) to haul those rocks up the hill, but if its more profitable to do a half-assed job and pay their lawyers later to deny you recourse or remediation to you and your flooded house (assuming you've survived) then that makes good business sense. I should also point out, in our ongoing example, you would need a government to help you attempt to get remediation from the company who made the levee.

In short, I am slightly less cynical about the american government than I am about large corporations. Also, at least in america, the people grants the government it powers, not the other way around which seems to be popular elsewhere.

Nov 30, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Crowbert, you seem to show an unusual amount of faith in the U.S. government.

Nov 30, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

It always amazes me that when I say I am slightly less cynical about the us government than large corporations, I am accused of Marxism and/or being a dewey-eyed optimist. I certainly didn't say they could do no wrong (oh, can they) Its just that given that most of the people in civil service genuinely care about working for america - more than it just being a job. Well, at least until this last administration - their habit of political hiring in leiu of job performance has really hurt morale, and thus the retention of good, honest, hard-working people. - but that's another thread.

Or perhaps you mean unusual in not usual - as a lot of people tend to find their camp (america sux!/america kicks azz!) and not try to find a happy (or as I say, slightly less cynical) medium somewhere in between.

Dec 1, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

austin is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so self-indulgently lamo!

Dec 1, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

since michigan's delegates don't count for the democratic nomination, i'll interpret that as the first sign of independence...michiganistan, here we come!

Feb 8, 08 8:40 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

the russian proffesor is wrong

Jan 1, 09 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: