Archinect
anchor

Resin

Mark_M

Have any of you used resin to make your models?

Jul 10, 06 11:22 pm
tinydancer

i had a friend use it-don't put it in the fridge-it taints everythng within smell reach! Make sure you don't breath in the fumes...

Jul 10, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

play around with the resin before you try you final model. as a mistake could cost you your negative mould. (this happened to me once. F'ed me up big time).

Jul 11, 06 1:00 am  · 
 · 
binary

you talking about fiberglass resin?

depending on the thickness of the part i would add some sort of filler to it such as matte or cloth... the resin by itself will be too bittle and if it's thick, the heat will be a big issue also...... need more info on the project to help you through it......

b

Jul 11, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Mark_M

I'm building 16 city blocks. The scale of is 1:200. the buildings are no more than 3/4 of an inch high.

Jul 11, 06 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

You're building the entire thing out of resin? Interesting...are you going for different colors or what?

Jul 11, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

another possibility would be casting wax... when i was in undergrad i saw a large site model (about 4'x8' or so) that was made entirely of cast wax... it was lit from below and one of the most beautiful site models that i've ever seen...

Jul 11, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

no such thing as fiberglass resin. commonly used are epoxy and polyester resins. epoxy is less toxic but is a little more difficult to work wirth. also takes longer to cure. stronger than polyester. polyester is much cheaper. epoxy is more flexible. polyester is a lot easier to work with and cures quickly.

if you're starting out, use polyester. ventilate well and get a respirator if you're going to be using it a lot. less than an ounce of it can make you dizzy in a poorly ventilated area. get used to mixing the catalyst w/ the resin. slow mix to prevent bubbles. as said above, play around with it and get a feel for it before casting anything. polyester should separate quite easily from most non-porous surfaces.

Jul 11, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh. polyesters can get quite hot while curing. so be careful.

Jul 11, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
tee

resin is super fun - but super-duper toxic. i was lent a respirator and even when i used it, i got slightly dizzy (the cartridges may have been nearly spent). i made part of my thesis model with resin, and the outcome is fantastic...the luminosity and glow gives the "wow" effect...

Jul 11, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

the resin that i used for fiberglass body work...... what ever u get at home depot.....

just cut acrylic on a table saw and use a triple chip blade.......make the blocks faster this way and you can flame torch them after you sand them done to 400/600 and they will come out clear.....

i have a site model with solid acrylic blocks that i steel woolled for a frosted finish

Jul 11, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: