Archinect
anchor

ONLY female in my class!?!?!

betadine- but what if it was someone who was the only black person in their class, feeling uncomfortable with that? We would all say that they need to learn to deal with this because there are statistically very few black architects, but we'd all be more understanding than if it was a white person uncomfortable because everyone else was of a different ethnicity.

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going with this. I just thought about that, that there are some forms of discomfort that are much more palatable than others. But I guess there's no question in my mind that it's better for her to not be in that situation since it so obviously makes her uncomfortable. Let her give up the spot for someone who can handle it. I don't think better of her for a discomfort which is most likely unreasonable, but it's good that she knows herself well enough to remove herself from that sort of situation.

May 28, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
odee

Tenex-

I'd call and make sure you are not the only girl at Washu before you commit, and if you are, hopefully you kept another school under the impression that you may attend there as well.

May 28, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
akav

I wouldn't leave if it's only 5 guys. You could stand out. But I guess it also depends if you are even a little bit of a guys' girl or completely a girly girl too. Only leave if there is a better school to go to- not because of the mix of the class.

May 28, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
myownpath

i agree with betadinesutures and i'm very curious...what the hell is a betadinesuture?

at any rate, tenex has left other grad programs before, so i think this whole drama is more about her not being quite ready to commit to pursuing an advanced degree and less about her irrational emotions associated with men.

May 28, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

She did the right thing, not for herself, but for the other poor guys....

I was a only guy in a class of 10 girls, oh man, they didn't understand anything, they were always all over me asking me to help them out.
They didn't even know even the basics of architecture not even the basic of drawing.

Even during lessons, while the teacher was speaking, they kept interrupting me, asking me info. I had to stop my concentration and listen to them, and when I said to leave me alone for a second to finish my things, I was the nasty one....
Give me a break.

May 28, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

hmm... just as a heads up, in the school i attended for undergrad, there were 3 for sure pre-m.arch females and only me as a male pre-m.arch male. there is the possibility that another male might doing architecture, but it's remote.

just in case anyone wanted to spot a trend.

anyways. 1 in 6.. not too bad. sounds like an actual workplace scenario. but whatever makes you comfortable... if you need to leave, do so. if now, let it make you stronger.

May 28, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

rationalist, i thought about that too, and consider this then in your hypothetical; black americans have dealt with that exact situation since slavery and yet african americans did not throw in the towel. think about this, where would america be today if Rosa Parks decided it really wasn't worth her time, jail and frustration to take a stand on her right to sit where she wanted to on the bus, or perhaps if Dr. King decided it would serve black america more if he did not march or take a stand on race in this country. Gahndi?? i know these are extremes but at least those individuals were fighting a REAL threat and not some inanely perceived threat...i mean how many men were in this class? 10? 20? 150? were they all walking around the campus with there cocks out threatening women? what is it then?

i am studying for the PD exam and i just read the Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct, and if this naive person practiced this kind of gender bias in her professional career, her ass could be brought to answer before the man - and by man i mean our governing body...

May 28, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
joed

betadinesutures, she could not be "brought to answer before the man" for practicing "this kind of gender bias;" she has chosen to decline an offer of acceptance to a school, and the only parallel action i can think of in the professional world would be to not accept a job at an otherwise-all-male firm, which is certainly not illegal in any way.

to suggest that a woman being uncomfortable in a group of five men is in any way similar to rosa parks being uncomfortable in the hateful, segregated social environment of the 1950's is incredibly daft, not only in its vast mischaracterization and aggrandizement of this woman's situation but in its crass misappropriation of the struggles of civil rights leaders of the past.

this woman is not making any sexist claims. if she is casting any blame upon, or denouncing any shortcoming in, the character of anyone involved in this situation, it is upon herself, and not upon the five men in her class.

i think that, perhaps, you could learn a valuable lesson in temperance of language from some of the civil rights leaders you are apparently so fond of. here is a speech by martin luther king, regarding the vietnam war, to get you started:

http://www.africanamericans.com/MLKjrBeyondVietnam.htm

i think you will have a hard time finding dr. king using the words "cocks" or "ass" while trying to make a point about equality and brotherly love.

May 28, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Myownpath: Here are the definitions of betadine and suture. The image accompanying suture sure is a winner!

May 29, 06 8:39 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

joed, the point and yes the point of my outrage, is quite simply this; this person made a judgement about a group of people before she experienced what that environment had to offer, especially knowing that the other offer did not come with a guarantee that she'd encounter anything different. this person needs professional help, because as far as i know all male architects are not going to move to Namimbia and name their kid Nouvel...

a class 6 and she was the lone female...good luck to you.

May 29, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

one pill makes you larger...

May 29, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
gillespie

tenex,

i know things have changed since katrina, but i started at tulane as an undergrad in 1999. during our second year, the graduate students were folded into the undergraduate studio. they were there own discrete studio section, to be sure, but they were in the same studio room with dozens of second years. there was a lot of communication and interaction with these grad students. i left tulane at the end of my second year, so i'm not sure how it was structured after that, but the tsa doesnt have enough room for graduate students to have their own dedicated space. they share studio space with the diverse undergraduate population. however, that may have drastically changed in this past year

May 29, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
petitbeurre

oh dont worry, i ve worked and been working with all guys since the school, now im the only female at work studio with 10 guys. this is kinda better, you ll be okay..

May 30, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Ramsey

Well............Budweiser or Blackened Voodoo? Are you sure you've thought through EVERYthing?

May 30, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
X
Jun 1, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
mikilee

Hi Tenex,

Wow- so how is it going? I wouldn't worry so much about the male/female disparity except for the fact that you might not find other girlfriends in your year to share stories with- well. A class of 6 is quite small. I'm at columbia now and it's about 1/2 male/female. Everyone is about the same in their level of innocence and insecurity- so in academia, I feel this is fINE. In the work world, however, I've been told, after 10 years into it the majority of people working are MALE which is kind of depressing, but maybe you'll get a taste of how to 'work' this situation early. I don't know. If you're there for talent and experience, I'm sure it won't matter in the end. What do you think?

Jun 4, 06 12:44 am  · 
 · 
charlize

Im graduating this month, 24 girls 4 guys. Not very healthy. ;o)

Jun 4, 06 1:13 am  · 
1  · 
Nevermore

charlize, which college are you in ?

Jun 5, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
e909

and then one of the 5 remaining Tulane students will think, "this class will become aggravating with only 4 others!" and transfer out.

and then one of the 4 remaining Tulane students will think, "this class will become aggravating with only 3 others!" and transfer out.

and so forth

and so forth

and then one of the -23 remaining Tulane students will think, "this class will..."

Jun 5, 06 6:08 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

It's not about which class you are in..Its about how classy you are

Jun 5, 06 6:18 am  · 
 · 
dmc

i was the only female in a class of 7. i was a bit intimidated at first, mostly b/c i didn't know the guys at all. i got to be buddies with 2-3 of them, and with the other 3 i got along well, we just didn't have very much to talk about.

it was awesome in the end, no drama, no gossip, just hard work and lots of fun... beautiful. and, yes, so much attention :)

Jun 5, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

dmc, I was thinking about that. The only girl in a class would get sooo much attention from the guys. And when is that not fun?

Jun 5, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
kellyplayz

I was the solo female in web design and I felt extremely uncomfortable, so I understand where you're coming from. The males in my class didn't even care when I was being sexually harassed online and they only focused on each other, not checking if I was okay at all... I literally don't want to attend Web Design class in person anymore at college, despite the way they have treated me... They kept talking in class, while I was trying to work and they were being extremely noisy and immature. I tried telling them what they did, but they kept spreading stuff that are off topic... It's like they never cared about me... It's a good thing that my cousin and parents believe me...

Apr 8, 22 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
kellyplayz

I know how hard it is being the only woman in the class, but if they treated you with respect and in an appropriate and sensible way, then you'll be okay. But if it was the other way round, then be careful

Apr 8, 22 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm sure they are happy to have gotten this advice 16 years later.

Apr 8, 22 10:02 pm  · 
6  · 
c.k.

oh honey I do hope everything works out, yes, we’re all ghosts from this thread and I came back here after all these years to say that things have only gotten more complicated since then, but mostly to wish you well.

Apr 9, 22 2:24 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I'd be interested to hear how your experience went, but please don't feel pressured if you'd rather not.

Apr 9, 22 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Questions

sounds like a perfect place

Apr 20, 22 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: