Archinect
anchor

Mice

archinthecity

uhhhh what do you do when you've got mice running around the studio at school?

Feb 23, 06 8:18 pm
joe

yeah, we had one infamously large rat... nicknamed frank lloyd rat

Feb 23, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

make sure there's no food around.

Feb 23, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

design a modern house for it in 1/4 scale

Feb 23, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

joe- haha, that's cute.

the studio I'm moving into next year (underground) is notoriously bad for rats... which sucks, considering we were so spoiled this year with a 3rd floor studio with huge windows. any advice on dealing with rats is greatly appreciated...

Feb 23, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Mice are nothing - we had a huge bat in our 2nd year studio!!!

Feb 23, 06 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

hahah wtf. where do you go to school?

now that I think of it, I think my studio this year wins in terms of uninvited creatures. Long long story, but we've had a homeless person chill in our studio for a couple of hours. lmao. (I go to school in nyc)

Feb 23, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The answer is easy. Tell the roaches there are mice on their turf. The gang fight will be the end of them all.

Feb 23, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

er, get the facilities management people involved?! Come on, any school is going to want to do something about a rodent problem, particularly if you happen to mention you saw someone posting about it on the internet. You don't have to mention that the poster was you! They'll want to take care of it just to eliminate the negative publicity.

Feb 23, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Hummm Harvard Graduate School had a RAT...He practiced out of Gund Hall back in the 70's. Brought his clients there and impressed them....sounds like an urban legend to me.

Feb 23, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Trap them and let 'em go in the building where all the civil engineering majors hang out.

Feb 24, 06 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

We had a squirrel in Meyerson. It ruled. He was running around like a maniac and spinning his wheels on the concrete floor. The girls were all screaming.He was sliding and doing donuts all over the place. Eventually he just let himself out. There are small operable windows and trees by said windows, so I guess he came right in.

Feb 24, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

there's a small mouse in my office .

The tiny fellow is one pretentious being.
Quite oblivious to our presence..keeps running everywhere fearlessly.
He/she musta been a stararchitect in his/her last life ,cos he/she only comes out and stares at us between 7pm-9 pm and only if we are working on some very big , important project .

Feb 24, 06 1:32 am  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

hahaha actually we had this strange caterpillar-type thing (fred) who'd only come out at 4AM, the morning before final crits. which is really strange, considering caterpillars probably don't live that long... but it was the same shape/color/fuzziness/etc. really bizarre.

Feb 24, 06 2:19 am  · 
 · 
e909

design a better roach motel?

Feb 24, 06 3:43 am  · 
 · 
doberman

air rifle, a 'studio cat' and mouse traps are options to consider.
be aware that if you've got one indoors you are more than likely to have some of its little friands running around as well... i had some in my flats and they are a real bitch to get rid off. also dont leave any food for them to feast on when you leave the place...

Feb 24, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

we had these giant roaches that we would keep as pets, fed them sugar and water saoked bread, and chunks of apples - his name? Gregor of course. good ole njit.

Feb 24, 06 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Why your mousepad feels sticky every morning

Feb 24, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
mm

Given their problems with rats at the Porterhouse Building, I hear the folks at SHoP could use some advice about dealing with rats.

Feb 24, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

We have rats in our office in downtown DC.

As as far as homeless people go, we had several living in the buildings at Minnesota (it gets fucking cold there, can't blame them!). They would hide in the tunnels that connected the buildings, then come up in the architecture schools because we had so many couches. The'd even duct tape doors open in the third floor studio (vacant during the summer) and sleep up there. The graduate director Steve Week's had the great idea to throw out all the couches and furniture so that the homeless wouldn't sleep there. YEAH GREAT IDEA! Way to fix the problem...that guy was a jack ass and perhaps the main person that caused me not to go there for Graduate school.

Feb 24, 06 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Feb 24, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
R.C. Barn

Do Hood Rats count?

Feb 24, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
garpike

We had squirrels at both OSU and UCLA. They like to leave treats on your desk.

Feb 24, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

that cat looks awesome.
but i think it's so damn fat and overfed it would probably not even bother getting up to start hunting mice....

Feb 24, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

how about that baby?

the proud owner is now a famous architect who survived the great mice studio invasion.

Feb 24, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

i think maybe this one would do the trick

Feb 24, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
ess

go out and get yourself a Teeter Pong Mouse trap. despite a slightly obscene appearance, your mice will appreciate its fine design quality and even more, that it's a catch-and-release trap. it will provide you and your tired studio mates endless hours of suspense and entertainment.

Feb 24, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: