Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

JeromeS

I'm sorry, I was thinking of Campari, not Peroni.  Campari is AWFUL!.  Carry on with your Peroni...

Dec 11, 15 11:33 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

nice non, you will not be disappointed......yes one time the boss open bar. we polished off a few bottles of MacAllan 25. mulitply that by being mid town Manhattan............this morning on way to office i picked up my usual RedBull and pack of gum. the cooler with product had an alarm on it. breakin sound when you open door. asked the clerk why. he said the night crowd kept stealing them. is RedBull a drug?

Dec 11, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My favorite beer changes, but it is this right now:

Dec 11, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Campari is delicious, but you can't drink it by itself.

Dec 11, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You guys need some Asahi Black, everything else is bad compared to it. I need to try some Ichiban.

Dec 11, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Saparo! anything Ommegang i good....

Dec 11, 15 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sapporo with some chicken katsu or teriyaki skewers.

Dec 11, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Campari is delicious, but you can't drink it by itself.? 

May I ask why not? a couple of rocks and it's awesome.

Dec 11, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

and these are all good

Dec 11, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Beer is for pussies. Decorator beer isn't even worth acknowledging. Real men drink tequila. 

Dec 11, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^which kind?

My bottle of Patron Anejo looks pretty good alongside the whiskey bottles in my bar.

Dec 11, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Beer does have estrogen mimicking compounds, especially the hoppy ones. 

Dec 11, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

^... and leave some time for Archinect!

Dec 11, 15 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

What are all these silly frilly drinky things you all are on about?!? Coffee (black), bourbon,  water (no ice). Be an architect, for godssake.

;-)

Dec 11, 15 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I've been told martinis were all the rage when some of the architects in NYC got deeply into trouble with it.

I love a good beer, bourbon and scotch - having a bit of a love/hate relationship with Whistle Pig at the moment (can't come to terms with the Canada/Vermont crossing I guess).

Can't do too much tequila... looks like the company holiday party will have tequila cocktails though.

Dec 11, 15 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

@Miles: Real Men drink whatever the fuck they want and don't give a shit about societal limitations on manliness.

Dec 11, 15 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Donna- ...boys are boys! what did you expect Lol .. lets group all girls here and any mature man we find on the way and discuss sthg else other than beer and tequila! ;) 

Dec 11, 15 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what tduds said.....and Zaina that sums it up so well. i asked the 20 year olds i was competing with drinking if they actually tweet what they are drinming at parties. hey said yes and even communicate with people that are at he party still via social media.......put the phone down and pick the beer up, damnit.

Dec 11, 15 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

have you seen the book whiskey women by fred minnick? 

Dec 11, 15 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

+++ tduds (enjoy your Cosmopolitan)

Non, try Casamigos Anejo.

Dec 11, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

whiskey and wimmen? sounds like a John Lee Hooker song.

Dec 11, 15 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If we're picking favorites, I'll take a good smoky scotch over pretty much anything else.

Unless it's over 80 degrees, then I'm drinking gin.

Dec 11, 15 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

BOYS! that is your beer for today .. LOl

Olaf- ^.. can't imagine, it should be on the news, man!

Dec 11, 15 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Ireland has a Navy?

Zaina - apparently my wiki mind was correct, not only does it sound like a John Lee Hooker song - it is - John Lee Hooker - Whiskey And Wimmen (thought it was just lyrics, but it's a song) 

Whiskey and wimmen almost wrecked my life
Whiskey and wimmen almost wrecked my life
Were'nt for whiskey and wimmin, I'd have money today

Nightlife, nightlife, nightlife
Ain't no good, ain't no good for me
I had a good start, but wimmen and whiskey tore it down

Whiskey and wimmen ain't no good for me
Whiskey and wimmen ain't no good, ain't no good for me
I had a lot of money and big fine car, but I lost everything I had
Aww I did

off to holiday office parties!  I will be sure to blog the whole ordeal and avoid actual human contact!

Dec 11, 15 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

^ Olaf.dude, your music will soon cause me depression. Lol. YOU need a BLACK JACK  :p

Dec 12, 15 2:47 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Hi all, 

do you remember my first first post "architecture and war"..? so happy, i'm now writing the last few pages of my paper.. wish to re-open the discussion in light of new facts and case studies.. maybe suggesting some readings for ya.. I just fear the public reaction :p 

Dec 12, 15 8:29 am  · 
 · 
midlander

^post the paper, if you feel brave. no doubt you will get torn up and abused by the many here, but you seem resilient and cheerful. I am impressed you manage to handle the harangues as well as you have. Congrats on getting it done.

Dec 12, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Agreed. A thick skin and good sense of humor will serve you well. Especially n this field.

Dec 12, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Miles imho nothing good happens after tequila. But if you want one I gotta dusty bottle around here somewhere behind all the bourbons....
Dec 12, 15 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

If you live in a place that doesn't have SantaCon, count yourself lucky. I live in downtown Cincinnati, and the entire place was mobbed with drunken frat bros in Santa costumes puking all over the sidewalks. I thought it was just a NYC thing, but it appears to be spreading to other cities.

Then I head over to NWHikers.net and see photos like this, from Artist Point on Mount Baker, in the North Cascades National Park. Only a few more months until I'm within day trip distance.

More pics here.

Dec 13, 15 12:27 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Olaf, I was going to post this in response to your assesment lazy media coverage on the RIBA racism thread, but really it is worth reading outside any single discussion. As it could apply especially to certain posters not active on that that thread, and architecural critiques...

http://qz.com/572269/most-of-the-information-we-spread-online-is-quantifiably-bullshit/

Dec 13, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thank you midlander. i've sped read it and seems more than accurate, own Frankfurt's book on Bullshit, will read soon.

had no clue who these kids were, potential tenants of my client, looked them up, reddit, and in looking them up learned that main stream media used it as a source, for instance on mass shootings (in your link)

2nd to Archinect Forum, Reddit appears to be the place to be.  reviewed how that site worked, what I figured out, my inkling to create a website "disinformation" back in 2002 could easily be accomplished there.  infowars was the strain i was leaning for back then....sometimes I think everyone gets what's going on, a few deliver (Alex Jones) in that case.

will read diligently shortly.

Dec 13, 15 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

The Age of Bullshit sounds good but is a misnomer as disinformation age' more accurately reflects the intention (primarily economic) of spreading false information.

Dec 13, 15 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

A question for the peanut gallery:

I'm putting the finishing touches on a new professional website, portfolio, etc. for when I start applying to jobs in the Pacific Northwest after the new year. In writing my bio, I have mixed feelings about how to describe the number of years of experience I have.

My first internship with an architecture firm started in September of 1995, so technically speaking, I've been in the business for just over 20 years. However, I've had a nontraditional career track and a lot of my experience was gained while working my way through my undergrad degree. Even though most of it was full-time, a lot of it was fairly menial CAD monkey work to pay the bills while I took night classes. Realistically, the types of jobs I plan to apply for are intermediate-level Project Architect positions that usually require 5-10 years experience, which is consistent with the level of responsibility I've had more recently at some reputable firms.

Right now the wording on my bio says "more than a decade" of experience, which is truthful yet sufficiently vague. I don't want to sell myself short, but at the same time I don't want to be accused of embellishing my experience level, nor frighten off potential employers by making them think I'm seeking partner-level responsibilities and compensation.

Thoughts?

Dec 14, 15 9:09 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Oh my goodness this just perked up my Monday in a major way: trailer for HighRise starring Tom Hiddleston.

Dec 14, 15 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jumping jesi on pogo-sticks Donna... I was unaware they were making a movie on JG Ballard's novel.

This will be good.

Dec 14, 15 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

i'VE NEVER READ bALLARD, i'M EMBARASSED TO ADMIT.

Oh, and I'm CADing today. Not embarrassed to admit that.

Dec 14, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

as long as your dog's fur pattern matches the floor pattern, you're good.

zaina wants to be an architect so she can influence people.  i suppose this movie will show us how to do that :D

Dec 14, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good one Curt.

Donna, that's an easy thing to fix and it's a short novel. One of the best and most influential books I had in my thesis' bibliography.

Dec 14, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

^ I can read that :P ... 

curtkram- what movie is that?

midlander- I'll see how much humor left in my pocket after tomorrow's jury! 

Dec 14, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

zaina, it's the movie donna linked, which is based on the book nonS is talking about.  good luck with your jury.

Dec 14, 15 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

David: I'd tailor that into the cover letter - while those menial jobs may not have lead to direct increases in responsibilities, it probably gave you insight into what those places did right and what they did wrong (design/business/marketing/standards/hours/efficiency/mentoring).  In other words, they may not have made you a better day-to-day project architect, but a better employee in terms of ability to contribute to the overall business.  I also noticed a lot of employers like to see that you handled a work/school balance as in they offered me a lot more responsibility than I initially thought I was ready for.

One thing you might do is ask some places for an informational interview to ask the question of 'what level of work do you feel I'm ready for'?  I did get a job after one of those that I enjoyed a lot.

Best of luck

Good luck to you too Zaina!  Remember that you know a lot and that not all the jurors may be as knowledgeable on the particular subject; also remember that they probably have experience in a broad range of things you hadn't thought about.

Dec 14, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

^ Good advice for David. I'd add that it probably depends on the types of positions you're aiming for. You mention you're looking at positions advertising for 5-10 years experience. In that case, I think your sufficiently vague statement of over a decade of experience is good enough. If you were shooting for more, you'd want to elaborate a bit more. 

During my last move I sort of did the interview thing 3tk mentioned, unintentionally, and it didn't really work for me. It was a full-fledged interview, but for a position that needed to be filled before I would be able to move. The interviewer offered to help me find work when I did finally move and they weren't able to hire me. I contacted him about a couple of applications I was working on, just to see if he knew anyone at the firms I was applying to, in order to help the application along. The one application he mentioned I probably wasn't qualified for was the one that I eventually got hired for. 

Dec 14, 15 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the replies... Based on the job descriptions in the latest AIA Compensation Report, I'd probably put myself in the "Architect 2" slot, and that's what I'm using to calculate my potential salary and housing budget in Seattle. The AIA description:

"Eight or more years of experience, licensed architect with diverse knowledge of architecture principles and practices, uses advanced techniques, and has responsibility for finished plans, specifications, and material approval. May supervise a small staff of architects and technicians.

Licensed architect responsible for finished plans, specifications, or approval of materials and construction. May supervise a small staff of architects and technicians. Applies sound and diverse knowledge of architecture principles and practices in broad array of assignments and related fields. Acts independently regarding architectural methods and complexities. Requires use of advanced techniques and modification/extension of theories, precepts, and practices of individual's field. Supervision and guidance mainly concern overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters."

That certainly describes my role on most smaller projects I've worked on, and at least 90% of my role on some larger projects. My experience is a little short on PM stuff like staff supervision and project administration, but presumably that will come in time. I feel like I'd be overqualified for most Architect 1 positions, but I'd comfortably place myself at maybe an Architect 1.9 on that scale.

Still waiting on the licensure stuff, and once again the state of New York is the holdup. I need them to send my ARE scores to Ohio, but they seem to have lost the request and processing fee I sent them two weeks ago. So I sent a new one today via overnight with a tracking number, to an actual person with a name. Wish me luck.

Dec 14, 15 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Hmmm. They cashed my reciprocity request pretty promptly so the staff is there... Most firms I've known that were good firms to work for hired people up into the next tier with time to train in, so leaving it open ended sounds good; caveat of 'I'm at x experience, but hope to grow into y soon' - that leaves it open to 'considering offers by looking at compensation as a basis for expected contribution'.

Dec 14, 15 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

I wouldn't worry too much about finding that job where you are 100% comfortable. I often find my biggest growth and progression have been during those times when I'm not comfortable. So if you're comfortable at a 1.9, aim for a 2.5 or something.

The more experience I get in architecture, the more I realize that no one really knows what they're doing anyway. We all just make it up as we go, cross our fingers, and hope we don't get sued (I'm not saying that's what we should be doing ... just what I see happening most of the time). Is this the Dunning-Kruger effect in action?

Good luck in getting your ARE scores over to Ohio.

Dec 14, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks... My top-choice firm in Seattle currently has an opening for a position that would probably be about a 2.5 for me. I have a good friend who works there now and loves it, and one of my former professors knows one of the partners and has agreed to write me a letter of recommendation. I was able to visit their office in September and I fell in love with the place. I'm itching to get my credentials in order so that I can send them a letter and resume as soon as possible.

Dec 14, 15 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

very good article btw Midlander.......in hopes of finding time to blog something i watched a bunch of consipiracy theory documentaries on Netflix this weekend. .........many of these documentateries should fall under sci-fi and the trick is in the narrative,or that which sold the storlyine was some unexplainable event or item that real scientists couldn't figure. the one that was so bad and intentional in its methods as I just described was "Sirius"......basically a 6" deformed Human skeleton was found,being tested by apparently REAL scientists and this somehow validated the entire storyline that all conspiracy theories end up at - illuminati, us government, ancient aliens. my bloggin was inspired and your article helped support it, many thanks.

Dec 14, 15 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Walked the High Line down to the New Whitney today. Piano's attention to detail is outstanding. Can't say I was crazy about the lighting, and the lobby traffic required a person to direct, but overall a solid work. The industrial aesthetic is quite refined and fits beautifully into the existing context. There's also a missed opportunity to integrate with the High Line that was likely prohibited programmatically. 

Dec 14, 15 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: