Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

snooker-doodle-dandy

I shoule qualify this by saying we should not be working for  the building permit fee, which is paid to the city.

Jul 22, 13 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Eating the rich is such a strange daydream. Especially for so many over educated servants of wealth. No wonder architects are so conflicted ;-)

It's better at Uni level Sarah, but not much. At least nobody is telling us what or how we should teach.
Jul 22, 13 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You know we are pissing around about  sex therapist.....and the Pope has landed in Brazil for a week  visit. Unfortunately  back in June some people decided those in control, were taking to much money from the coffers for personal wealth.  Aka...World Cup and Olympics contracts and caring less about the little guy trying to make a living.  So we have peaceful protests.  Ya people protesting with their hands held over there heads and a small but  clearly  obvious group of people dressed in  ninja masks causing trouble.  They are not part of the protest but  imposters funded by the government to make it look like those of the street are violent.  Globo the  largest newsprint media and  TV media in  Brazil  captures the ninja goons and plays it up as violence while the police stand around and watch them destroy property.  It is as if it is a Novella.  So today there is word the rubber bullets are being replace by real bullets to suppress the protesters.  Yet no American New Paper has the courage to save face, because of Globo's long reach.  It is a sad day the Pope in Brazil, with these  things happening.    So I sign off:  Go World Cup: Go Olympics, shit to the people.

Jul 22, 13 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ugh, David Lowery's skewerings of the contemporary music business are so freaking depressing. Someone with that much talent shouldn't have to worry about money. Same with Cake: their founder still has to sell tshirts to raise money.
Jul 22, 13 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
observant

i've always wondered how one becomes a sex therapist, is it something you can go to school for?

I think there are several routes, with many just getting masters degrees in counseling and then logging hours (like IDP, but WITHOUT categories) but trying to carve out a niche in sexuality.  Those who are more brain trust oriented get PhDs in Clinical Psychology, and focus on sexuality, or become MD psychiatrists, and focus on sexuality.  I honestly think the work would become boring in no time.  I've heard good PhD programs in Clinical Psych. are very hard to get into. A HS friend who expected to become a clinical psychologist bailed on a second rate PhD program quickly and became an educator.

observant.....my thoughts on sex  and the rich.....Most Rich guys have trophy wifes and so sex shouldn't be a problem....long as the earlier wives are receiving their monthly paycheck. Same is true from the other side...Most rich women have trophy husbands.

And the trophy part does NOT guarantee good sex.  It just guarantees that you have a decoration on your arm.  The trophy wife may be working her emery board while the husband is ... you know ... and the trophy husband is probably of the "while the cat's away, the mice will play" mindset.  I'm sure it's mostly rich cougars who have them.  Picture a Joan Rivers-alike in the Palm Springs or Palm Beach area with a year-round deep tan and tennis bracelets, and a younger husband who's along for the ride.  I think that spouses of trophy wives and trophy husbands have them as a sort of validation or social accoutrement.  How can they not know they're essentially being used?

As for the Pope in Brazil, they are setting up a stage for him on Copacabana Beach.  I think that's nuts.  Why don't they use Maracana Stadium, the same way Denver used their stadium when the Pope came to the U.S. for the world youth event for Catholics?  I think he will be touring favelas while he's in Rio.  It's the politically correct thing to do. 

Jul 22, 13 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Since Colorado is still the "wild west", you don't need a license or degree to practice therapy, you must simply register with the state before calling yourself a therapist. I wouldn't want to be a sex therapist, it doesn't sound fun. I'd rather be a psychic in Aspen.

Has anyone heard about the type of sex therapist that has sex with patients to help them gain confidence and/or get over issues with sex? Um, THAT would be a hard job.

Jul 23, 13 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
It's funny, all this talk about sex therapy got me thinking. I'm a visual person, and most conversations play out in my head like mini-movies. When I think of other people having sex, regardless if I know them or not, it's cool, confidence, power, and when I think about me, it's fumbling, unsure, and messy.

I blame Hollywood.
Jul 23, 13 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And how does that make you feel?

Jul 23, 13 10:24 am  · 
 · 
observant

All this talk of sex therapists has me wondering WHY someone would want to become a sex therapist in the first place.  I'd want to ask them that question.

Speaking of impropriety, there was a plastic surgeon in the late 90s who got nailed for messing with his female patients while they were under sedation.  Now that's creepy.

Jul 23, 13 11:21 am  · 
 · 
observant

Yesterday's news:

- the royal baby, as if most Americans even care, and

- Southwest B737 from Nashville to LaGuardia-NY experiences a front landing gear failure upon landing and had to skid to a stop.  They moved it with a flatbed truck.  Didn't know they had flatbed trucks that could do that sort of work.  Only 10 minor injuries of some 150 on board.  I wonder if the plane is a write-off.  Shit happens.  Southwest is usually pretty good, though they tend to be a milk train that stops at least twice from coast to coast, and they only use that super reliable workhorse of an airplane.  I'm still trying to process Asiana 214 at SFO.

Jul 23, 13 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nice, There.  To be honest, it won't bother me if everybody else feels the same way.  Then, I can continue to live in my world where people snuggling in the after glow instead of washing and such is a known fallacy, and not just a personal quirk.  But if everybody else is perfect in bed, then it'll go right up there with photoshopped celebrities that are down to a perfectly toned size 2 hours after giving birth.

And Observant, EVERYBODY in America cares about the littlest prince.  It was all over the news yesterday!

Jul 23, 13 11:54 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

In my neck of the woods people would be asking if they did a natural home water birth with both a doula and a midwife.  Hospital birth with an epidural is like admitting defeat.

the question on everyone's mind is: what are they going to do with the placenta?

Jul 23, 13 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
n_

THE ROYAL PLACENTA!

Jul 23, 13 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would think around here people schedule a c-section far in advance so a disruption like childbirth doesn't cause anymore trouble than necessary.

Jul 23, 13 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
observant

It's really irritating to be driving along and seeing people texting while driving.  It's even more dangerous than just talking on one's cell phone without the hands-free device, which is also considered dangerous.  It's downright mind boggling when you see it on the freeway.  Some people are just yack-yack-yack.  Life was better, in some ways, before all this shit came along and people, in general, got douchier.

Jul 23, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Any one see the crazy article about the Detroit Institute of Art being appraised for its worth, just  so creditors now where to go when the bottom falls out.  Something like 2 billion in wealth stashed in that collection.

Jul 23, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Yakity yak, don't talk back.
Jul 23, 13 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

ya, we should go back to horses.  they're fueled off rapidly renewable resources and they can think for themselves.  if you drive your horse drunk, there is a pretty good chance it will take you where you need to be.

except i suppose horses need trained, and people are now too dumb to even train dogs.  people would have to get off their cell phones to take care of their horses, and i suppose that's a bit much to ask.

i suppose google's new car that drives itself is the only reasonable option.

Jul 23, 13 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
horses seldom run into each other. fatalities much less common. and - yeah - you can talk on the phone.

or read, even. public transit or autopilot cars: also good for reading.

driver-dependent cars are dumb.
Jul 23, 13 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Screw horses.  They are supposed to be dumb, but I don't think they are.  For our field trip at the end of parochial grammar school, we went to a recreation center that had many options, including horseback riding.  It was my first time on a horse.  This horse was calculating.  He positioned himself near this bent tree with an almost perpendicular section, slightly above the top of the saddle.  This means he was going to eject me, kind of like a double decker bus going under a bridge that's too low.  The group leader had to pull the horse away from this tree.  Horses know who doesn't know horses.  I've still gotten back on the saddle, but I think they are overrated.

Jul 23, 13 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a former miss world contestant is stopping by for cocktails rhis evening. jus' sayin'

Jul 23, 13 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
I fully support a horse-based circulation infrastructure, for all the reasons mentioned. Plus that clop-clop-clop sound they make is so soothing. And we'd all have ONE horsepower vehicles.

Yes, snook, I saw that about DIA. Christie's smells an opportunity, those vultures.
Jul 23, 13 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
The Detroit gallery was on Canadian news awhile back. They're not even funded by the city but the city says the art is owned by city hall. Couldn't tell if that was legally correct or not. Crazy if it is.

Brazil also in Canadian news. Didn't see the ninjas though. The disenfranchised are pushing back all over the world so it is maybe a bit hard for Americans to catch all of the details. I wouldn't chalk it up to indifference or crony solidarity so quickly.

Horses! I used to ride through town on horse when visiting gramma's place in the country. It was awesome except for the shit. It's possibly illegal now. Prolly cuz of the shit. Sure did enjoy it though.
Jul 23, 13 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The Southwest B737 skidded for 1/3 of a mile upon landing at LGA's runway, so that's a lot of scraping.  The landing gear strut reportedly jutted upward into a compartment of electronic components.  I think the plane might have to be scrapped or used for spare parts.  Well, at least no one was seriously hurt.

Jul 23, 13 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you would have been fine if you were on a horse instead of a plane, but only if you treated the horse well.  if you're mean to the horse, obviously it's going to try to buck you off somehow.  horses can tell a good person when they see one; you aren't likely to fall off a horse unless it wants you to.

Jul 23, 13 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

you can collect all the horse shit for your garden.  that's good stuff.

Jul 23, 13 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

People around here eat the placenta. Or keep it in the deep freeze.

Jul 23, 13 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Curt, I was probably around 13 and barely over 5 feet tall at the time.  I was looking at how high off the ground I was.  The horse knew I wasn't comfortable up there.  Today, if I'm driving through a rural area and I see one peering over a split rail fence at the road, I sometimes pull over and see if the horse will let me pet it, first by letting it sniff the back of my hand.  They typically stay at the fence and let me pet them.  They've got some big teeth, though.

There is no there, Placenta is a city in Orange County, CA.  Actually, it's Placentia, but my mind sometimes wanders over to calling it Placenta, CA

Jul 24, 13 12:09 am  · 
 · 

morning all!

i actually know someone who ate their wife's/child's placenta

@vado, sounds like a swanky night...

re: Google cars did anyone else see that Google's Andrew Chatham recently spoke re: timeline for self-driving cars: "If it takes us 10 years to finish it, we're doing something wrong"

Jul 24, 13 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well today is starting in the shitter!

I got a call from my principal to inform me that my contract has been cut by the technology department at district from 200 to 187 days; I will lose a full months salary.  No, not lose, cause I didn't misplace it.  No, it's been taken from me, stolen.  And by the technology department?!  What the Fuck?!  I don't work for them.  Hell, I don't even teach their subjects, I teach graphic design and animation.  It's just another case of district not knowing what the hell their teachers do.  Those extra days are so I can take care of Web Site support and print posters for returning teachers, print posters for all the stupid professional development classes that district teaches.

I got permission from my principal to call up HR, but he didn't answer.  I left a message, and I'm sending an email.  I hate these kind of fights.  Fights where you don't know what the outcome will be, but you know what it HAS to be.  FML.

Jul 24, 13 11:22 am  · 
 · 
observant

Sarah, sorry to hear that.  From people I know who work in school districts, it's sort of the same thing.  Love the work.  Hate the bureaucracy and the politics.

Saw this on my homepage yesterday "Modeling Mogul Dies."  It needed no name.  I knew it would be John Casablancas, and it was.  He launched the Cindy Crawfords and others of that era.  He was sort of a Spanish Hugh Hefner-type mover and shaker.  I don't know if he came from money, but looked like he would be rich.  Some people sort of do.

The reason I bring this up is because he had a link to architecture.  He had worked at an architectural firm for a couple of years and thought it was "too slow," according to an article I once read in the doctor's waiting room or somewhere.  For all I know, it could have been preceded by an architecture degree.  He was only 70.  That's 5 years past the beginning of Medicare age, so he died young.  He was living in Miami, but traveling to Rio for cancer treatments.  He died in Rio.

Jul 24, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

welcome to the joys of teaching in a right-to-work state.

Jul 24, 13 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, I'm starting to learn about working for a budget-minded bureaucracy myself.  My impulse is always to say "yes" to pretty much anything, but then I'm told by my superiors I'm not allowed to do that because it's not coming from the right budget.  So then nothing gets done. So no one is happy, and it feels like no one is steering the ship. Makes me miss self-employment, when there was no one to blame, or ask permission of, but myself.

I hope you get your situation worked out. Sounds very very very frustrating.

Back to an earlier topic: I have to weigh in to say there's nothing wrong with having a C-section or epidural.  Obviously fewer drugs and interventions tend to be "better", but the end goal is a healthy baby and woman, and whatever means have to be taken to get there don't really matter at all.

Jul 24, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

nothing wrong with C section or epidural - but you won't get to be all smug and superior around all the other new parents.

Jul 24, 13 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Jorge Alejandro Luis - in case anyone was wondering.

Jul 24, 13 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

....unless you eat the placenta....

Jul 24, 13 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

George Alexander Louis

i googled toaster's and got nothing in english.

i wonder if they ate the placenta?  i gagged a bit just writing that.

Jul 24, 13 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sarah, sorry to hear that, it isn't right. You should be a self employed educator like me! Then you can do whatever you want AND collect all the gossip about all the schools and how they bureautrasize everything up.

Jul 24, 13 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The Old English pronunciation of George (Georg) is Gay-org. I hope they pronounce it that way.

Jul 24, 13 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Good news! I stood up, and I won!

They are reinstating my contract at 199 days, and I may even get a stipend on top!
Jul 24, 13 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cool Sarah.

We have three or four budgets in my corner of tge Uni. They all have different rules about what and when we can do. Luckily we have staff to deal with the crazy ass paper work. Am sure they are going crazy managing the nonsense. Cool thing is they actually make it their job to get what we need and want from the system and don't just punch the clock. It makes huge difference.

Architecture budgets are much more clear but also a lot smaller. Makes it just as hard to get things done the way we want. Except we have fewer excuses since its all our doing one way or another.
Jul 24, 13 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

way to bring it. sarah!

Jul 24, 13 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

that's great, sarah!

Jul 24, 13 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Yay Sarah!
Jul 24, 13 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

studio gang's latest proposed project is nice.  Hope it's well executed - the interior with the wood meeting at odd angles is going to be challenging to pull off... I've never seen it done well.

Jul 25, 13 11:00 am  · 
 · 
observant

I'm big time into transportation design - planes, ship, trains, and cars.

Every July 25th is another year that the Italian luxury liner "Andrea Doria" is no longer, and lies at the bottom of the ocean.  Essentially, this was as freaky as a mid-air collision, though it was a collision at sea.  The "Andrea Doria" had crossed the Atlantic from Italy and was due in New York early the following morning.  She was off of Nantucket, in severely foggy conditions, at about 11 pm and people were in its ballrooms and probably getting ready for the midnight buffet.  The "Stockholm" was outbound from New York en route to Scandinavia.  The culpability has been a lingering question for decades.  It is known that the "Stockholm" had its radar set at 1/3 the scale it should have been (15 miles instead of 5) and that a 26 year old was temporarily running the bridge.  When the bright lights of both ships appeared, the "Andrea Doria" swerved to avoid the Stockholm, was broadsided, and the reinforced bow of the "Stockholm," designed to handle icy conditions, impaled the "Andrea Doria."  The ship was designed to stay afloat with the loss of one water tight segmented compartment, but the collision apparently tore into two water tight compartments.  Though the "Andrea Doria" sank the following morning, at about 10 am, it quickly began taking on water and listing.  Half of her lifeboats were not usable because of its pronounced lean.  The Italian liner sent out a distress signal and nearby vessels, including some belonging to the U.S. military, came to help.  The most important helper, in terms of capacity, was the French liner "Ile de France."  Already further out into the Atlantic some 3 to 4 hours away and steaming toward Europe, the captain of the "Ile de France" unselfishly turned his ship around back toward the collision, despite some worries about getting embroiled in the foggy conditions.  The fog had lifted. The "Ile de France" was able to lower all of her lifeboats and picked up at least 800 people from the "Andrea Doria" and sailed back to New York. The "Stockholm" also took many passengers from the sinking Italian liner and returned to New York.  To date, this has been the largest rescue operation at sea. The number of deaths were relatively few, given the gravity of the event, with about 46 people on the "Andrea Doria" and about 5 people on the "Stockholm," mostly at the impact zones on both ships.  The passenger accounts are vivid.  For many, they were emigrating to America with their families, and literally left with the shirts on their backs.  All of their belongings, typically allowed in steamer trunks, were in the baggage holds of the sinking ship.  Italian Line lost its flagship.  The decorated captain of the "Andrea Doria," not even 60 and a lifelong sailor, never returned to the sea.

Today, the wreck of the "Andrea Doria" is considered the Mount Everest of dives.  Even if it lies in the Atlantic Ocean, it is at a depth of 240 feet, in the Nantucket Shoals.  Not every diver who descends onto the wreck of the "Andrea Doria" makes it, because of the compression and decompression issues, the wreck which is falling apart and into which people go too far into the bowels of the liner, not to mention having to brave hazardous marine life.

A lot of elderly people remember seeing this from the TVs in their living rooms.  Planes circled the wreck and sequentially captured photos of the sinking, until the liner disappeared under the water.  One photographer won an award for his work.

So then, if you wonder why an Andrea Doria survivor got the apartment in NY instead of Kramer, Costanzo, and company on "Seinfeld," now you know why.

Jul 25, 13 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
This might be off topic by now, but when people ask about our baby we tell them we had her the old fashioned way- in the hospital, with loads of drugs.
Jul 25, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

fellas its been good to know ya.

Jul 25, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
observant

There's more Anthony Weiner on the news ... and on someone's phone.  More Paula Deen, too.  Why can't people consolidate these things?

Jul 25, 13 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

vado, you planning on leaving...

Jul 25, 13 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: