Archinect
anchor

Bookcases

realia

Help,
Can anyone point me toward a well designed bookcase? Preferrably something with closing doors and that stands no more than 24" a.f.f. I have visited all of my fave furniture web sites only to be disappointed (very). Help!

Feb 12, 06 12:26 pm
David Cuthbert

Why don't you just design on yourself. You seem to know what you want, probably won't cost you that much to get made - comparable to purchase.

Feb 12, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I agree. Design away.

Feb 12, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Feb 12, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
digger

you mean four 1x12s and eight cinder blocks isn't good enough any more ?

Feb 12, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
digger

maybe it would be helpful if you could be more explicit about what "well designed bookcase" means to you !

Feb 12, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
realia

yikes. you guys are no help.
Ive been through the phase already: 'why don't I just do this myself? Yeah, I'm thru with that. I have 2 pieces of furniture of my own design that ended up costing about $200 in materials and about 100 hours+ a piece. Translated into billable hours, hmm let's see...why don't I just purchase something instead.

Feb 12, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

$200 is cheap.

you have high aspirations for cheap design...sounds like a job for IKEA to me.

or design something up out of plywood and screws.

easy-peasy.

Feb 13, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Philip Gentleman

deiter rams' "vitsoe" system is the book case of choice, if you have the funds...

Feb 13, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
rayray
matteo

could you be more specific?
do you already have something in mind?
like do you like the natural wood color or you would rather have a well designed piece made of metal and glass?
or are u looking for something that it's just functional with a simple design?
what about the price? how much do you want to spend for it?

if you don't want to spend more than 500$, i guess you have no other choice than going at your local Ikea and looking for the Billy or Bonde bookcase system.
all the bookcases i have in mind cost like 1500-2000$.

Feb 13, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
auvn

i use sensible storage shelf from Homedepot. $50/each.
cut pieces of museum board or faux leather put on shelf top

dimension: 14"x48"x60"
dividable into 3 shelf and a half.

Feb 13, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cebby

How about this stuff?

[url=http://www.topdeq.com/topdeq/product.do?catid=us_75&prodid=pp_CUBIC]TopdeQ Cubo Modular Storage. I keep getting their catalog - have yet to buy any of it yet.

Feb 21, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Cebby

Sorry for the botched first post above...

How about this stuff?

TopdeQ Cubo Modular Storage.

I keep getting their catalog - have yet to buy any of it yet.

Feb 21, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
David Thalheimer

Hi, realia

Find finished or unfinished bookcases of your choice from a large collection of well designed bookcases of U.S. manufacturers Highlands Designs!.

Oct 5, 13 5:14 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

"Its (Homedepot) founder, and Co-Chairman of the Board Bernard Marcus is an active zionist. He is on the board of directors of Emet, the Pro-Israel Media "War Room" whos function is to ensure that all media in the US stays biased in favour of Israel.[1]"

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-home-depot.html

Oct 5, 13 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: