Archinect
anchor

architecture and Peace Corps?

benny

Has anyone (in relatively recent years) joined the Peace Corps with an architecture background and been able to work in a field related to architecture as part of their volunteer service? I was in the Peace Corps several years ago, before archi school, so had to teach English and i wouldn't want to do that again, but the thought of volunteering again appeals to me.

Jun 29, 04 6:47 pm
duke19_98

I'm interested as well... do you think there would be IDP credit?

Jun 29, 04 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

Contact Casius Pealer through Archvoices. He did that route a few years ago.

Jun 29, 04 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

there is one site certain people here might be interested in...don't know if they hire architects or not though...but still in interesting concept

http://www.bridgestoprosperity.org/

Jun 29, 04 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
torr

i tried after finishing undergrad. but all they had at that time was teaching english. so i turned it down. this was 1996 so i'm sure things have changed. in the 60's and 70's they had great programs for architects. a professor of mine built some bldg.'s in africa while he was down there.

i'm sure these days they have more urgent need such as infrastructual rebuilding and economic anaylsis. i seriously doubt you can use the peace corp as a stepping stone for a better career in architecture.

Jun 30, 04 9:45 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

some archi students work through Habitat For Humanity. you can try Googling their link.

Jul 1, 04 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

Architect Richard H. Schuster rebuilt African villages

Jul 17, 04 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

yes, you totally can now. i believe peace corps is a 2 and a half year commitment though. i also believe the united nations development program is another route as well as architects without borders. i've wanted to get my hands on design/build projects for sometime now, but haven't found the right organization since i don't have an arch degree yet.

good luck.

Jul 17, 04 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

UC Berkeley grad Karen Quinto heads into Peace Corps to help update Macedonian cities .

Jul 30, 04 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
maxwonder

Good for her!

Jul 30, 04 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

There is a group that does work in the US called Design Corps. The thing about Peace Corps or Habitat for Humanity is that they don't care about design as far as I can tell. Good cause and all but why go to architecture school to do it? Design Corps was in Metropolis a few months ago and they have a book out called Good Deeds, Good Design, Communty Service through Architecture.

Aug 2, 04 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

And Bryan Bell founder of Design Corps and a former teacher at Rural Studio, is working on a 'Good Deeds, Good Design Part 2' as we speak.

Aug 2, 04 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

Another group doing shelters in Afghanistan is Shelter for Life. And Tom Corsellis teaches design at U of Cambridge and has been doing some decent designs for refugees through Oxfam. Don't know if either accept interns though.

Aug 5, 04 2:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: