Archinect
anchor

is everything in slow motion at your office too? (christmas wishes)

strlt_typ

lb,

i looked it up ...it means trif means three phase

Dec 30, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Some long-gone hipster club in Portland Oregon, ex-boyfriend convinced the bartender to serve him virgin drinks and me loaded - about eight different kinds of alcohol in 3 hours. Yeech. I've never felt worse than I did new year's day of that year.

But hey, one more cool thing about PDX - public transit is free on new year's eve, so you get to ride a bus home with a bunch of other blotto people, all professing your love for one another and Portland and life in general!

Dec 30, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dammson you rock! I suspected that was what it meant but hadn't gotten around to looking it up yet!! Thanks!!!

Dec 30, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

go thank google...

Dec 30, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This thread needs to be renamed "general office conversation".

Dec 30, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

this is the "Watercooler"

Dec 30, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

that second life thread has made me think that I actually talk to you guys (who I dont know, and for all I know could all be the same person) than my co-workers. I hardly ever talk at work.
Do I enjuoy my virtual work life mroe than my real one?!?!?!

Dec 30, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

adn lb that doesnt sound bad enough to swear off new years for ever

Dec 30, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

If I had coworkers I'd talk to them. I'm alone in a basement (which sounds a lot more pitiful than it actually is), so I talk to you all.

jeffe, your intern make an appearance yet?

Dec 30, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Dec 30, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

I'VE CONVINCED 6 OF THE 10 PEOPLE AT WORK TODAY TO NOT COME BACK AFTER LUNCH!

Dec 30, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I def. talk to you guys more than the people I work with.

I could leave any time... why am I still here?

Dec 30, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR'S YOU GUYS!

Dec 30, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Strawbeary, you're in a new-ish job right? It looks good to stay this afternoon.

Dec 30, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'm here all alone too....still....
on a related note...ANYONE LOOKING FOR A JOB?

Dec 30, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Put on your Donald hat, el jeffe.

Dec 30, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not this one:

Dec 30, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
A

With the short week after Christmas and the long New Year's weekend ahead today was already going to be slow. Then the snow started falling last night. I bet there are maybe a dozen here out of approx 200 staff. I think I'm going to forward my calls to home for the afternoon.

Dec 30, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Full-time work.
Your space would be: 100sf workspace, (u-shaped layout), new dell precision 380 w/ flat panel monitor, T-1 access, steelcase THINK chair, your space is adjacent to an east-facing window wall that looks out to the sandia mountains, and an espresso machine.
VERY FLEXIBLE BOSS (apparently)....

Dec 30, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
A

You hiring el jeffe? I'm ready to send a resume just for that THINK chair. Then again, if I make principal I'll get an Aeron. I obsess too much about what I sit on.

Dec 30, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Ok guys and glas you have yourself a nice little new year, although I will be here tomorrow. Not real work and no one is forcing me I just want to finish some stuff (deadline on Monday) and do some personal stuff. So if you're here ill se you tomorrow if not, happy new year.

+q.

Dec 30, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i have an aeron...HA HA HA HA

Dec 30, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Too bad vado already found a new job, he was interested in going back to New Mexico for awhile. Instead, I get to have him in Naptown yay!

Dec 30, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

quaff a few +q
(sorry)

Dec 30, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm a partner and I don't have an Aeron...hrumph.

Dec 30, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i actually bought it used from my partner.

Dec 30, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So what does your partner now sit on? I sit on some crap IKEA chair, dreaming of an Aeron.

Dec 30, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

If I worked with a scene girl wearing a tie, I'd hang out at the water cooler too...

Dec 30, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

steelcase LEAP, the other workstations have THINK.
I actually have a THINK at home too. The local rep gave, yes gave, me one out of their A&D budget because I did their new showroom & warehouse. There's a gift that keep's on giving.
Before that I had an IKEA that gave me seriouos back troubles.
Now I just need to do an auto dealership...
<thread hijacking alert>
we're thinking of getting a mazda5. anyone know anything about them? a micro-van with sliding doors based upon a mazda3 chassis and it has three rows of seating!

Dec 30, 05 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

the funniest thing about that water-cooler image is that it came from the City of Fargo, ND site.

Dec 30, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Now THAT is odd, jeffe. That girl is so cool.

The Mazda looks like a fun ride (for a mini-van), sorry I don't actullay know anything about it.

I still highly recommend this Scion, though it doesn't have 3 rows of seats:

Dec 30, 05 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

we'd be driving that if it sat 6.

Dec 30, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Awright, I'm sending a not for construction set to the printer right now. Then I'll pick it up, drop it at the cabinetmakers, and get home in time for a beer.

Then I'll spend New Year's Day finishing the drawings!

Happy happy start-to-2006 for everyone!

Dec 30, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
...in which the main character escapes the shambles of his life...

what are you saying, lb?

___

i can't see a scion without imagining it with a boomin' system cranked up next to me at a stoplight. the mazda, on the other hand, looks like a spongebob-on-the-dvd kind of ride.

Dec 30, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

exactly steven - 2 little girls and their friends in the back. but we're a spongebob-free zone.
the 4-1/2 y.o. loves beck and the 22 month old loves Mocean Worker (adam dorn).
a parent has certain responsibilities....

Dec 30, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"In Vineland the dope-smoking schlemiel Zoyd Wheeler is briefly employed by Kahuna Airlines -- which, it's strongly suggested, is involved in some shadowy business. "The list of passengers who arrived was not always identical to the list of those who'd departed," Pynchon writes. "Something was happening in between, up there." In the middle of one flight, Zoyd sees another craft hovering near the Kahuna plane, and passengers are exchanged between them"

I'm not saying anything, Steven! I just always dreamed that if I went to Hawaii I'd want to fly on Kahuna Air - umbrella'd coconut drink in hand. Have a great week (can't wait to see pics of that little girl on the beach!).

Dec 30, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Parental responsibilites indeed, jeffe! My toddler loves Cake and Ike Reilly and Etta James!

Dec 30, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ugh.

Well I'm at home today but spent most of the day asleep in bed because I had to go to California Wednesday for work, and just got back on the red eye this morning. Sorry I missed all the non-working.

Regarding New Year's, if anyone wants to hang out in Cincy, we are having a Mexican-themed New Year's Eve Fiesta tomorrow night at my best friend's house. Yes there will be a pinata. She would actually kill me if she knew I was putting this on the web but she isn't an architect so I'm not too concerned.

I guess I should eat something today. Might go do that now. Happy New Year, everyone!

Dec 30, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hey lb, thanks for asking, its 5:00p.m. here, just got done with all the submissions, and now those dickholes want some revisions, but they wont look at it till tuesday, since they are taking monday off...

this is the problem being a design studio working for a huge corporate design company(our clients) - they dont do anything except check our CAD standards (because thats all they do), and keep bitching later on.

but, fuck all that, ive stuck to my resolution of not working on saturday and sunday, so thats good! Happy New Year everyone.

Dec 30, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Reviving the water-cooler thread so I can bitch:

For those of you following my deadline status. So I hand over the cabinet drawings to the project rep and his first question is "When will the drawings for the other two spaces be ready". Well, uh, I'll let you know.

I figured out today that I spent almost 70 hours on those drawings. The other two spaces are similar, and the equipment list is finally finalized, so I told him I would need a 40-hour week for one and a 40-hour week for the other. AKA you can have one set next Friday and the other the Friday after that, because I haven't seen my family in two weeks and I'm sick of doing overtime especialy around the holidays. His response: "If I don't have them both by next Friday the project is in jeopardy of being cancelled".

You know, there are so many ways to be angry about this but it comes down to one big-picture issue: people have absolutely no understanding of how long it takes to do the work we do. I hand someone two 24x36 sheets of cabinetry drawings and it looks so easy!! They have no concept of how long it takes to figure out if the counter needs to be 36" or 40" high above the ice maker, if we need 2 receptacles in this cabinet or 4, if the hand sink is too far away to get the plumbing drop to work....and then how long it takes to draw that in a way that effectively communicates to a builder what needs to be done!

Sometimes I want to have license to slap some sense into people!!!

Thanks for listening. Back to work for me.

Jan 4, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

What, lb, can't your son do CAD yet?

No, I completely understand. When you have work they want it now now now. And then, when you wish you had work to keep you busy, the days drag on and you are pulling your hair out with boredom. It comes in waves. Such is the nature of our profession.

Jan 4, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb these deadlines are cuttin into our quality partaying time...heres what youre missin...

Jan 4, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: