Archinect
anchor

Rhino question: faceting a complex curved surface

tagalong

I'm working on a project that will ultimately be fabricated out of water jet cut steel plates. In my rhino model, I currently have a complex curved surface modeled, the closest explanation of the shape would be a little less than 1/2 a water droplet if you cut a section through it. I am wanting to triangulate a series of simplified planar surfaces, recreating an abstracted version of  the curved form out of about 8 surfaces (as opposed to a more literal copy of the form which would require hundreds of surfaces at least).

Does anyone know of a method or command to generate this process in rhino?

Thanks..

Oct 5, 11 10:13 am
dionysus

hey, if you haven't yet tried grasshopper, it sounds like this project would be a good exercise in it.  you should direct your question to the grasshopper3d.com community...there is a ton of resourceful people there!

Oct 5, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

the paneling tools (free) should also be able to handle this

Oct 5, 11 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
brorstein

Yeah, if turnaround is quicker, I'd suggest paneling tools as well.  It's a little more forgiving on the learning curve.

Oct 5, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

thanks for the info, paneling tools looks like it's going to work, i'm trying to jump into grasshopper for patterning the surfaces...

Oct 5, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
empea

Did you try meshing directly in rhino?

Oct 16, 11 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

try meshing with a low polygon count

Oct 17, 11 10:10 am  · 
 · 
kunal.ghevaria

What did you finally do? Reducing poly count in max would also have worked.

Dec 9, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: