Archinect
anchor

IaaC in Barcelona

jessej

Hey there. Long time no post.

I'm rather desperately looking for opinions on this program.

http://www.iaacat.com/

Specifically, the Fast Asia program starting this fall.

I'm in contact with Madianto (the school blog author), and will be calling him soon, but I'd love to hear some other opinions.

In short, I'd be giving up my spot in the 3.5 year program at the University of Toronto to do this. I realize that the IaaC credential won't be adequate for me to practice (I don't have a previous architecture degree), but I'm trying to determine whether the experience would be worth it.

Pros: Barcelona, learning new languages, experiencing new cultures, Barcelona, sounds like a great program, visiting China, possible springboard to bigger and better things.

Cons: expensive (by my standards - Toronto is basically free for me), not rigorous, the likely necessity to pursue a 3 year program afterwards, the potential that I could have a better experience in Barcelona by simply living/working there.

Tell me what you think. May the gods of Archinect decide my fate!

Jul 5, 05 12:38 am
jessej

Does nobody know anything about this place? Previous questions have also resulted in a similar lack of response. Is there a cone of silence surrounding the IaaC?

Jul 5, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
me

i am also trying to find more information on this program. i don't think that there's as much a cone of silence surrounding the program as there are a lack of people that have attended this program and/or have friends that have attended it. what has madianto told you about the program? i was going to contact him as well and am interested to hear what he's said.

Jul 5, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Kadam- F

If i remember correctly there is another program in Barcelona which is called Metropolis. Xavier Costa is a director of this program... After I had a quick look at both program.. I feel like is more well established and less frashy than IaaC... i guess it's worth taking a look...

http://www.metropolis-bcn.org/html/0001about.htm

Jul 6, 05 1:18 am  · 
 · 
David Morris

i stumbled on this post today, has anyone found any more out about the iaac? i'm dying to know if it's really legit or not...

Sep 22, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
bigness

look for a guy called MADianito, on this forum, he graduated there and had a blog on here, and he's an all around cool guy, i'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

Sep 22, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

I’ve been looking at the program quite a bit, hard to find much independent information though. Have you looked at their publications? You can find them at Borders and Amazon (I imagine at any good arch. book store as well). They would give you a good feel for the program.

I am interested in the technology bent of their program; I have a B.Arch so I’m not concerned about accreditation though, otherwise I might not be so interested…

http://www.iaacat.com/html/html/english/difusioHiCat.htm

Sep 22, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
David Morris

yeah, well i'm living in barcelona right now working for an architect here. he teaches study abroad students from the states through the UPC, and he wants me to start teaching a class with him, about something along the lines of interactivity, architectural space, technology etc... and i thought I might be able to find out what else is going on in barcelona along these lines before I really commit to anything. thanks for the advice. i will check out that blog. all in all, from doing a forum search here on iaac, i get a crazy negative response from the whole thing, reminiscent of that news post about sci arc from the other day

Sep 22, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
David Morris

yeah, well i'm living in barcelona right now working for an architect here. he teaches study abroad students from the states through the UPC, and he wants me to start teaching a class with him, about something along the lines of interactivity, architectural space, technology etc... and i thought I might be able to find out what else is going on in barcelona along these lines before I really commit to anything. thanks for the advice. i will check out that blog. all in all, from doing a forum search here on iaac, i get a crazy negative response from the whole thing, reminiscent of that news post about sci arc from the other day.

my boss was part of that hicat publication, but it still seemed kind of silly, from what i've seen of it.

Sep 22, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
newcomer

what kind of negative responses? can u share I am planning to go there next year but unable to see any of their works.(Though I am hoping it to be good)

Oct 2, 06 3:31 am  · 
 · 
David Morris

it's the most expensive and the newest program in bcn, and I heard from multiple architects that they aren't doing anything too amazing, but I can't say anything for myself, because I don't know anyone personally who has taken part in the program. I know of some of the prof's involved, and their work, aka Guallart, for me, ... sucks. The mit media house was completely stupid, and they still use that as a sort of claim to fame.

Oct 2, 06 4:35 am  · 
 · 
newcomer

i know its expessive however for this & next year their topic is self suffuicient housing ( i suppose it will be much more than sustainable design) which i feel is interesting as it can possibly involve technic as well as theory.
Also Madianto told me that you are more like a researcher rather than a student so it depends how one can make use of it.They are also starting 2 more courses one in digital tectonics & other in new media.I am keeping my fingres crossed.
However one tthing i noticed that they are not able to produce interesting output as AA in design or say berlage in urbanism.may be because its only one year program & also comparitively new.

Oct 2, 06 5:53 am  · 
 · 
AP
Sociopolis

- urban project for Valencia, currently underway. Masterplan etc by Guallart.

David, if you're gonna say someone sucks, do a better job of qualifying your opinion.

Oct 2, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
David Morris

i'm sorry, i deserve that. a girl at work kicked my hard drive off my computer tower and i lost almost all of my college work. don't pay attention to me.

Oct 2, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
AP

it's all good...sorry about your hard drive / work. that sucks.

Oct 2, 06 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Hello all:
Thought I give my two euro cents on this one. To me it seems like a program that is trying to do something quite neat and that is trying to have a great staff on board. Everytime we visit the IaaC, it tends to give us a feeling of a Columbia, AA based strategy where publications and pretty images carry a heavy load on the marketing-publication scheme. The directors are very well connected so they tend to have very nice lectures and visiting professors on board.
3 years ago my wife and partner Zoe moved to for a summer in BCN to take part in the Marta Male's digital technologies CNC blah blah summer seminar, and guess what...we were the only ones who showed up! (needless to say that it was cancelled and all they offered is for us to pay for the seminar and help Marta on her own projects...no thanks!)
Anyways, zoe and I had a good laugh about it but I can see that if you are putting your hard cash on the line, I would try to make sure that you get some in depth information. Try to talk to Madianito, he is a great guy and it seems it really worked for him although I think he was already an architect and this program became more of a research and exposure experience for him. He currently works and lives in Barcelona, seems quite happy about the overall outcome. Get some student referals from him.
Note: The space is really nice, sort of like a SCIarc interior (reduced scale of course and without as many crack heads as LA ; )
Good luck and if I could be of any help please feel free to contact me.
Toronto:
Good option! I belive that Mason White teaches there as well.

Oct 2, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

ok, sorry, i dont show up at the forums too much anymore.... but this time i was checking and guess what i saw....

anyways yeah well seems someones already contacted me by e.mail, and im trying to do my best to help them getting a better idea, FIRST THING I READ here that is totally wrong is that THIS YEAR WOULD BE FAST ASIA..... WRONG!!! dont come if u think u will go to ASIA, asia was last year and yes they took the trip to asia althought they have really short time to develop their final projects they still managed to get nice "readings" of the place but none of the teams made like a statement or took a stand (something which all the jurors at the end make an effort to show that)

ok so, yeah, is not the AA, is not Columbia (not that they have their money) is not Berlage.... is nothing like those schools, is the IaaC, yeah some ppl say Guallart sucks, but he's not all at the IaaC, i must go and reveal some inside info and say Vicente is involved of course, but everytime more he is letting other trustable young people (architects) to organize the whole thing, cause first, i think guallart is a smart guy, but maybe not the best to organize a master course, and second cause he has already a pretty busy agenda to be spending that much time or full time organizing IaaC...so what can i say is that last year (fast asia) was a transition year, and this year seems is going to be more interesting and more "consistent" at least than last year, my year 2 years ago, was pretty neat, a good bunch of people showed up and we worked fine, was more a kind of urban project at the end that we adressed, but for all seemed to be helpfull... most of people have gone back to thewir home towns, but we r still few from this year that are around Barcelona....

ok SECOND MOST COMMON ERROR on qualifying the IaaC is thinking they r still the same group known as "metapolis" yeah, lets say METAPOLIS was the "roots" of the whole IaaC, and its directors are still some of the original founders of METAPOLIS, but trust me (and thank god) they had evolved, they dont bluff around MEDIA HOUSE, MEDIA HOUSE can seem bit dull now, but u always have to read the books and not only watch the images... MEDIA HOUSE was a project initiated in 2001 which had a publication almost 3 years after, and it was a simple idea and simplified output of a lil bit more complex ideas, still is not as simple as it seems, is not a complex shape, but is more about the "hardware" of the house that the soft(ware) fancy shape of it... still i have one of my biggest admirations for the MIT media lab, and i dont think at that time they gone involved in the project if they didnt saw potential or at least a good idea to develop...

ok second, IaaC is not METAPOLIS and even METAPOLIS is not (what we know as) METAPOLIS anymore... metapolis was founded 10 years ago, and it has evolved as also the ideas of their memmers, so trust me is not they rule what they do following the METAPOLIS dictionary step by step.... is like keep thinking EISENMAN is still at the same point he was when he was doing the ANY series (he's fatter now than then at least, haha)

ok..mmhh i dunno, hope all this help to anyone...im always on the e.mail which is easier since i can answer u more direct questions and wonderings....

last thing i must say is that IaaC is a program 4 years old, because of that is not even "stablished" and because of that is also a very open-free program where u can head urself the direction u want to with the assistant of the teaching staff.... last year was nice to see people even going into fields like video instalation at the final project, some stuff that i know u wont get at the AA, Columbia, Berlage, Bartlett, SCI-Arc, Penn, etc and all the other schools i respect the most

it helped me, it worked for me, but again, i almost did university without paying attention to the bullsh*t that was said at the classroom by the old people who where daring to call themselves teachers, so i had never expected to receive wisdom cause i paied a tuition, i always like to go my own way and whenever i get stuck, ask for help to the people im paying the tuition to...

i really hope that in 10 years i can talk or recomend the IaaC as one of the schools or master programs i just mentioned above, and i know i will, thats why im still involved everyday more in it, and trying to put my "2 cents of euro" (as just married-fdb said) at IaaC....

so yeah, just contact me if u wanna know more or have specific questions about it...theres not any silent around, i guess is just that people who came to this master is often busy and is not the kind of blogger kind of people, me?? well me im just here and there always, so dont hesitate to contact me....

P.S.
F.D.B. + Z.C. congratulations!!!!
FDB i just came back to BCN yesterday sunday, so it was impossible to meet u here, cross ur fingers and maybe i would be at the big apple for the next CW exhibition opening in dec....

Oct 2, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: