Archinect
anchor

hotrod architecture

justflow

I hate to be a another damper, because I'm incredibly interested in the topic. But I think my problem begins with the name, its incredibly naiive. "Hot Rod" architecture denotes either flash or performance, most likely both as in the hotrod shows on TV. However, I think that in terms of performance, the issue is moot, because in areas such as media, A/V, HVAC systems, etc, the only real issue is money, and every McMansion outside every major city has a theater room, integrated sounds systems, climate controlled wine-cellars, and every other luxury home analogue of a "Pimp My Ride" car. So what that leaves is flash, which is in itself is missing the point of the old vs. new juxtaposition integral to any renovation or rehabilitation work. To simply insert super European looking titanium sided forms in an old farmhouse or to make an incredibly flashy set of interior changes to an existing structure is not only common, its not really above the level of Ludacris' ridiculous show. Truly impressive renovations all have in common a series of issues, including respect, criticism, an awareness of program, and of course the aesthetic sensibilities of the generation where they occurred. Most of the examples included in this forum are of the critical variety, where commentary on changing architecture and changing programs and uses become the determining ideas that the architect addresses in his interventions. He (or she of course) then uses the information needed to creat something that responds in a way that comments on what was there before and works with it to improve the function of the space. They then, of course, dress it up with whatever aesthetic values they may have, and even this can be selected in a way that compares/contrasts/restores the old and new. If these changes are read simply for their surface visual value of a fancy new thing in a run-down old one, then yea I guess you could call it a "hot rod." But its just an end result, and as a specific mode of inquiry its pretty shallow and can be taken to so much deeper lengths than that, as so many brilliant examples listed above has shown us.

May 21, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a true hot rod is a stripped down vehicle with a big ass engine, rear wheel drive, goes very fast in a straight line. very simple technology automotive wise. so coop himmelblau et al examples with all their detailing are not appropriate.

May 21, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, I'll take a stand on at least one small portion of this topic.

I don't hink adaptive reuse in itself qualifies as hotrodding a building. Adaptive reuse would be analogous to getting your car repaired if it broke, or say replacing the windows with a darker tinted glass because you moved to Arizona. There is functionality in the imrpovement, but no joy.

Which is where the "extreme" in hot rodding comes in. People hot rod cars that already work perfectly well because they have a passion and find joy in dealing with, tinkering with, being around cars.

We all (all of us in this discussion) find this joy in buildings. Therefore I'll lay down Hot Rod Architecture Rule #1 and say that it consists, in part, in improving a component of a building that doesn't necessarily need to be improved to begin with.

May 23, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone familiar with Venturi and Rauch's Renovation of St. Francis de Sales, Philadelphia 1968 (which is best illustrated in the original Learning From Las Vegas) will have to agree that it was a bone-fide "hot rod" design. Sadly, the design is no longer in place (but at least the white plastic lectern still exists, albeit in storage). The single tube of white neon that hovered over the church sanctuary apparently didn't last long at all. Like the ecumenical changes of Vatican II, the Renovation of St. Francis de Sales was indeed an "extreme makeover."

Thanks Liberty Bell.

May 23, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

this should be more appropriate for 'holly rodding'. in addition to building 4 minarettes on the exterior, cross plan of hagia sophia was slightly shifted towards due mecca by placement of mosque elements as you notice in the picture. 20 ft dia calligraphic round plates were also used in this transition leaving most everything else intact including the mosaics of jesus and mary. one of the most successful adoptive re use projects i know of.

May 23, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I seriously regret not coming to this topic sooner. It's been absolutely fantastic to read and regret not being able to comment on everything. Because I definitely want to.

Anyway, in the past, I helped build and maintain my own hot rod. Eerily enough, add a decade and subtract the bored out engine from ether's Nova above and you will have the car I drove every single day for four years of my life.

But I'm going to add Hot Rod Architecture Rule #2: The building's overall performance must be increased.

May 24, 05 1:57 am  · 
 · 

In a real hot rod (ie, a car), what performance is specifically increased? I'm assuming that for sure horsepower is increased, but what else (if anything) specifically? I'm asking because I think a hot rod car's performance can be pointed to specifically as opposed to being general and saying "overall performance." I'm also asking because I don't think a building's "overall" performance must be increased, rather a specific, usually interior performance aspect of a building must be increased or "extremely madeover."

Hey abracadabra, nice magic trick, pulling Hot Rod Architecture out of Holy Wisdom in the heart of Constantinople. Constantine (who died 22 May 337--he fell sick in Constantinople and started taking thermal baths there, then went to Helenopolis where the theremal baths of the region are the best, but nonetheless ultimately died in a villa just outside Nicomedia, today's Izmit) is proud of you. He was buried at Constantinople in the Church of the Apostles, which I think is today a military museum--a rest in peace makeover, I suppose.

Constantinople as extreme, extreme makeover of Roman Empire capital, and then Istanbul as extreme makeover of Constantinople?

Is there such a thing as hot rodding a hot rod? That is, will Hagia Sophia ever be a Christian church again?
[The tide goes both ways, doesn't it?]

Anyway, I'm staying tuned for Extreme Makeover: Vatican III Edition.

May 24, 05 9:02 am  · 
 · 
belle

I’m also very interested in this subject and I’m looking forward to see where this discussion goes. It’s interesting to look at all the different aspects of architecture from a performance point of view, it may be easy to get hung up on just the technological side… what does increased social performace mean? are there any performance enhancing additions/alterations that would come into this catagory?
It may not come under the specific heading of hot rodding but I did a project in collaboration with an artist last year that looked at adding value in the eyes of the local residents to their beautiful but unloved beachfront. This involved subtle interventions in the form of patterns applied directly to, or carved out of the existing surfaces present on the site that were not immediately obvious, but may be discovered… In some cases these patterns also revealed themselves over time, through the weathering of the materials, and were intended to give an awareness of the beauty of patterns and texture which already existed in the weathered surfaces of the walls and pavements and pier, and to bring people closer to the environment without a total makeover which would have ruined the place. Is this relevant – I don’t know - but I suppose you could say that we souped up some aspects of the existing site through our work??
but my point is that I wonder instead of just add-ons, what about altering the surfaces that already exist – this to me seems more subversive and could yield some very subtle but interesting situations and could relate to when you say you want to 'slip into and undermine the existing architectural fabric.'

May 24, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

driftwood, I'm glad you joined in, but I'm with Rita: the big question is what is meant by "performance" of the building?

My Ranchero ('63, by the way, not '65, my mistake in an earlier posting) has Holly carbs - what aspect of performance is increased through their use? It has a Flowmaster exhaust - again, what specific improvement is achieved? Or is performance all about working together as a system?

In a building, installing new windows may reduce exterior noise gain enough to make the buzzing of the fluorescent lighting become unbearable. Some performance is improved at the cost of others - heat gain/loss vs. auditory comfort. And possibly the old windows were cool industrial sash while the new ones are clad aluminum - a net loss, in my opinion in the aesthetic performance of the building.

So, how can we define "overall performance"? What are the criteria?

May 24, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 
FormuLA

i agree, how does one define the "performance" of a building, space, environment, or communicative vehicle?

I think belle may be onto something- the idea [if I am reading it correctly] that SURFCAE [i.e. existing formal condition] may be souped-up in terms of its performance- to provide a formal language of designation. As far as I remember doing the "hot rod" thing, the look was part of the feel, as much as the performance. it would seem other posters disagree, that speed is where it's at, not in the projection of said speed [not talking of current trends of projecting WITHOUT speed enhancement- i.e. bolt-ons that add weight or size without measured increases in car's mobility- the ultimate function of said vehicle...]

If a car/building increases it’s FUNCTIONAL performance, without the expression of said increase, is this really hot-rodding? Or perhaps something else?

And, to add fuel, cannot the rodding of the spatial experience [in addition to the social augmentation and functional increase] be part of an architecture’s “performance”? [I refer back to Corb’s differentiation between architecture and building construction/…

May 24, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
e

i think the appearance can have an impact/play a role, not as important as functional performance gains, but it can play a mental part. rolling up to the start line with a souped up car could scare the crap out of your opponent. of course you better have the engine and speed to back up your looks.

you could also take the other stance >> roll up with a piece of crap, from the outside at least. your opponent thinks, shit, i'll take this chump down easy. little does he know what lies beneath.

i remember this old snl skit. was it with eddie murphy. piece of shit car from the outside, bullet holes and all, but it was a machine underneath. no one would want to steal his car.

May 24, 05 11:37 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

I specifically left out the definition of what "increased performance" means in architecture because I'm only one person and felt that I couldn't adequately provide an answer. I had started to include a big long essay on 'What IS increased performance in architecture?' but deleted it out of annoyance with myself.

The Holly's will result in a certain percentage increase in horse power. As will the Flowmaster. [Good choices each.] A hot rod is associated specifically with an increase in power. A hot rod goes faster and gets their quicker than its stock counter part. Power increases are often associated with decreases in other areas--handling and interior comfort for instance. And a hot rod can look like a POS or it can be as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line. That's not to say looks aren't affected by it--wheelie bars are added, holes are cut in the hood, scoops are added, etc.--and that a hot rodder isn't going to be mindful of how these things impact the look of the vehicle. Aesthetics, in small but discernable ways, do play a part in a hot rod. However, those aethestics do not make a hot rod what it is. A hot rod can never be defined by how "good" or "bad" it looks.

May 24, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I'll come back to this later with a more thought-out response to "overall performance". The day is flying by!

May 24, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"A formal language of designation"

AKA flames.

I like it!

We do have two opposing possibilities here:

1. The performance enhancement may be a sleeper, may be stealth communication, recognizable only to those in the know or not at all, or

2. The performance enhancement is trumpeted, strutted, celebrated, and is as important for its visual performance as for its qualitative performance.

I admit I tend to lean toward the rodding of the "spatial experience" being in large part visual, as I think architecture is largely, though definitely not entirely, a visual art. In the hot rod car analogy, there is an aspect of catching your attention first, as anyone who has ever seen the approach of a candy-colored, chromed custom rod from a quarter mile down the freeway can attest.

May 24, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

Can we at least agree that Hot Rod Architecture has to include some performance aspect of a building taken to an extreme?

It may not be easy to specifically define the performance aspect of a Catholic Church, for example, but it at least seems easier to specifically define the "engine" of a Catholic Church, ie, the Sanctuary. Extremely makeover the engine of a Catholic Church, and I think you get a conceptually tight manifestation of Hot Rod Architecture. (Personally, I'd add lots and lots of flames too.)

May 24, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

modification - you are starting with a box

stock - the first and easy things are to replace the intake manifold or carburetor. go to duel exhaust (reduces backpressure). replace exhaust manifold with headers, replace camshaft (more lift, more air and more exhaust) - this mod starts to get more into the internal parts of the engine.

adding super chargers (belt driven) turbo chargers (exhaust driven) adds substantial horsepower - both forcing more air into the engine

later on you can choose to go inside the engine and start to modify the transmission, block, crankshaft etc.

also the suspension will need attention at this point (stiffen it up). wheels and tires -

one thing that has not been talked about is the environmental impact of all the modifications.. each modification is allowing the car to go faster by burning more fuel = less gas mileage.

and lastly, the more modifications you do, the less likely a 'dealer' can or will work on your car.

May 24, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

"Can we at least agree that Hot Rod Architecture has to include some performance aspect of a building taken to an extreme?"

Yes... more to come later from me if and when I have time to fully comment. I feel like I've left my baby behind!

A good example of the "sleeper" concept would be a house that Patkau Associates did. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but they pretty much gutted an existing building leaving the exterior as is, while upgradeing the structural, mechanical, etc. aspects of the project in a very tectonic manner (important because it contrasted the various aspects of the project). When I get home I'll look up the project name in case no one has it available.

May 24, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

belle, I somehow missed your post as I was writing my own when it arrived - but your "surface enhancement" project sounds to me like it falls into a hot rod category - any images you can post? It sounds beautiful, and if you're up for some possible criticism might help us rally the discussion.

Rita, in addition to houses I believe churches really do offer a good opportunity for hot rodding - especially Catholic churches pre-Vatican II, I think? Wasn't there a "stock" church design then?

And I agree with the extreme take - maybe Rule #1 should read that Hot Rod Architecture consists in part in an extreme improvement to a component of the building that doesn't necessarily need to be improved to begin with.

May 24, 05 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Nice list ether, including the surprise ending.

Don't worry Pixelwhore, we all know you're gonna look just great in that commercial!

LB, Christian churches have a long history, don't they? We don't really know what the Christian church across from the palace at Nicodemia that was burned during the Great Persecution under Diocletian looked like, but we do know the ritual that accompanied the rededication of the church at Tyre, which was also desecrated during the Great Persecution. And then almost immediately following we have the original "Constantinian" basilicas, first the basilica building boom in Rome late 312-326 under the supervision of Helena, then the basilica building boom in the Holy Land, also under the supervision of Helena, [and, believe it or not, the basilica building boom at Treves, today's Trier, Germany, under the supervision of Eutropia and Constantine fits right here in this [his]story too,] and ultimately the building boom of a whole new Christian capital of the Roman Empire at Constantinople under the supervision of Constantine himself.

It is these early Christian basilicas that have then been reenacted in multitudinous ways (and yes, even some hot rodded) over the subsequent centuries. My favorite most recent reenactment of a "basilica" is the OUT OF THE ORDINARY exhibition design at the Philadelphia Museum of Art 2001. It even had a hot rodded sanctuary! (At least that's where the bang specifically was.)

Last night it dawned on me that the OUT OF THE ORDINARY exhibition design also reenacted the museum floor "design" directly above it. "When in Rome," I suppose.

May 24, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

I'm going to be in a commercial? Now I'm really confused!

May 24, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Didn't you know Pixelwhore is the mother of hotrod architecture?

05/19/05 9:08

May 24, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hey, I'M the girl in this discussion, doesn't that make ME the mother of hotrod architecture? Pixelwhore is the poster boy!

Sorry, couldn't resist...and other girls out there no slight intended.

May 24, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Just wait till I get my show on the Discovery Channel, I'll make those fools at Orange County look like a bunch of chumps!

And technically, I'm the father of hotrod architecture...

May 24, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Remember that childhood joke where you slant your eyes up and say, "Chinese father." And then you slant your eyes down and say, "Japanese mother." And then you slant one eye up and the other eye down and say, "Crazy mixed-up baby."

Chow 4 now.

May 24, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, you're right, Pixel - you're the father. I'll just be the poster girl - those hotrod chicks are always curvaceous and statuesque. (I'm sure those are the right words.)

May 24, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

some guys just give up livin
start dyin little by little piece by piece
some fella come home and get washed up
and go racin in the street.

May 24, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Okay, I promise I'll post more seriously later, but I was thinking earlier today:

Where's the good architecture for hot rods? Sure there's an endless amount of road infrastructure in the States, but why is it usually so goddamned ugly?

If cars are so bloody important, why does everything built for them suck?

May 24, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
THIS MAN

is the father of hot rodding. There is no other.

May 25, 05 12:37 am  · 
 · 
driftwood
"1. The performance enhancement may be a sleeper, may be stealth communication, recognizable only to those in the know or not at all..."

Until the 'driver' reveals it, making it blatantly obvious. There's a component of competition involved. A hot rod not only has to have increased performance, but it must also be able to prove itself against others--whether or not they're hot rods. Also, I'm just remembering this, the other reason for making your hot rod a sleeper is to avoid the authorities. They are less likely to pull over a POS (or even something that simply looks like it's a stock vehicle) then something that's a shiney bright flame red color with a whiney super charger, slicks on the back, and massive tach sittin' on the dash.

"2. The performance enhancement is trumpeted, strutted, celebrated, and is as important for its visual performance as for its qualitative performance."

This one is pretty solid. I don't think it needs further resolution.

I'm all about the sleeper. Resto-mod all the way. Though I definitely appreciate--as a visually oriented person--when any architectural modifications are visible and there's been a conscious effort to integrate the new into the old.

May 25, 05 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Alright, here we go...

First off, the Patkau project I mentioned earlier is the Porter / Vandenbosch Renovation (1985 - Toronto, Ontario). For those of you also interested in this topic, I was recommended to look at the following projects by Osamu Ishiyama (please excuse my spelling, not sure on it): House for Gin the Raccoon, House that Swallowed a Bolder, and Dracula's House. Haven't been able to find much on any of them, but maybe you'll have better luck/resources than I do.

Second, my thoughts so far on 'hotrod' architecture. I've tried to leave the concept as open to individual stylistic tendancies as I can, but I'm sure my personal feelings on various aspects of architecture have snuck into everything. Different people working on the same style/type/model car will come up with different results, and the same should be said for whatever architectural implications are derived from the process.

- you start with a stock/vanilla building. now what can be defined as stock or vanilla is open to interpretation. it could be an old, historic building, or a stock floor plan that you find in the real estate section of your sunday paper. more or less the building (whatever it may be) should be somewhat unchanged from its original state. I'm still not fully convinced on the unchanged part, but for now it makes sense with the whole hotrod parallel

- analyze the building's existing programmatic intent and efficiency. a hotrod, regardless of the changes made, is still a car and can (or should?) function as one. so the original intent of the building should be maintained. now the actual intent is open to interpretation, just as the end funtion of a car can be interpreted (speed, style, etc.). I think this is where a lot of the variations in the end product could start.

- at this point its up to the architect/designer to figure out how the physical building and its elements can be modified/changed to better further the programmatic intent of the building. for a poor example thats easy to grasp, if a room is supposed to be a bed room, how can you make it the best damn room possible? would you add on to it, punch new windows in the wall, or whatever you think is needed. I personally like how this follows with the variety of results that hotrodding can yield with the same car, based solely on the interpretation of what the vehicle need to funtion better - this could result in a sleeper, or it could result in a dumb box (the house) with Gehry-esque blobs coming off of it.

As before, this is no where near a finished product or whatever it will eventually become - these are just my initial musings that I've recording in my sketch book. Feel free to comment, dissect, disregard, or destroy any part of it - but know that now that I've posted this in a discussion forum, I am allowed to make Per-type statements that anyone and everyone is either ripping me off or a silly Roman that can't understand what I'm saying...

Regardless I can't wait to read people's comments.

May 25, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

For your first point, I think you're fine to not single out 'unchanged' buildings as the only ones that are acceptable for architectural hot rodding. Have you seen the condition that many hot rods start out in? Often times, it ain't pretty. Part of the fun and challenge of hot rodding, is literally bringing something back from the dead.

I'm not sure about your second point. Analyzing intent and efficiency... I don't know. And I can't say I know of a hot rodder [and I know a great many] who's ever done that. If they're doing that, they're doing something above and beyond hot rodding. That's getting into customs [aka kustoms]. Maybe I'm just biased by the environment I was raised in, but even though there's not been a spoken seperation, there's been an implied one. A warehouse is a warehouse. An office is an office. I guess there's no reason why 'hot rod' architecture and hot rod cars have to be of the exact same definition, but I'm fighting that for some reason. Anyway... Blah blah blah.

Your thrid point is fine too. Not much to argue from my point of view.

May 26, 05 3:08 am  · 
 · 

maybe "analyze" and "efficiency" are too strong of words for what I was trying to get across with the second point. by "analyze" I meant look at the program not in terms of what it is, but what it aspires to be: when looking at a library, one could take it the next step further and instead say its a "warehouse for knowledge" or some other interpretation of what a library really is outside of the connotations associated with a library. the key thing is that there is a good chance that the existing building/program fails to accomplish this "next step" program, hence the "efficiency" of the existing building. now its a matter of "hotrodding" the exisitng building to meet the goals of this new program.

May 26, 05 6:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

any ss chevy was intrinsically a hot rod. having lived with a librarian(very sexy by the way) i can tell you she would bristle at the idea of her environment as a warehouse. how can you leave the intent open? by code you can't its gotta have a defined use. hot rodding in a nutshell is "rockin out w/ yer cock out"

May 26, 05 7:15 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Pixelwhore-
I'm liking the idea even less with that explanation. A library is a library. A house is a house, not a 'machine for living.' I don't understand why there would be a 'next step' in terms of programming. Either you need a place to store x number of books, a certain number of reading and study rooms, office space, emergency exits, particular goals in mind for "sustainable" building practices, etc. or you don't. I don't see how extrapolating the program out to a more abstract idea is going to accomplish the goal of 'hot rodding' a structure.

May 26, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 

what do you propose then?

May 26, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 

I'm not saying that the building loses its function as a library, but you look at improving how the existing library functions, and to do this I feel that you'd have to really look at what a library tries to accomplish. I'd say in programmatic terms that the Seattle Public Library functions in this manner.

May 26, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I get what you're saying, Pixel. And I'll use an example from "Monster House", another dumb TLC extreme makeover show. They did, coincidentally, a car-themed house, and in the kitchen they installed a tool rack above the range, with suspended compressed air hoses feeding typical kitchen utensils like a whisk. So you've got a totally standard kitchen function - whisk for use at a rangetop - but it is an extreme manifestation of the program:not just beating eggs, but really stylishly beating the hell out of them. If you think of "cooking in the kitchen" as "hot rod body modification shop" (i.e. making something), then "library" and "warehouse for knowledge" are analogous -at least I would propose that.

I strongly agree that at base the building still needs to function to fulfill its programmatic intent. The hot rod aspect could be that it enhances that programmatic intent, so it furthers the cultural knowledge of that program. That is, it makes the user see further possibilites than they expected in this function.

Woo, I'm getting bogged down in language. Pixelwhore covered this in his third point anyway.

I'll close saying that I do not think programmatic enhancement alone is enough to make hot rod architecture - I still strongly believe there's a visual aspect.

May 26, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

daddy said son youre gonna drive me to drinkin if you dont stop drivin that hot rod lincoln

monster house is on discovery channel.

May 26, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
hutcdj1

the best example of hotrodding to really modify an existing urban fabric is-
Giancarlo DiCarlo - University of Urbino

it is a modern intervention situated on a hilltop surrounded by all traditional italian architecture, and uses these huge retractable walls and a massive 'sky-light' sort of thing to filter light throughout the 4-5 story space. it really is incredible you need to see it pixel,
cant find a good link though. sorry

May 27, 05 10:16 am  · 
 · 

the best example of hotrodding to really modify an existing urban fabric is-
Helena - the city of Rome
Helena - the Holy Land
Constantine - the city of Constantinople

and the really best example of hotrodding is to modify (the engine of) an entire empire.

May 27, 05 10:33 am  · 
 · 

random thoughts:

imperial engine modification sounds unpatriotic.

imperial engine modification = revolution?

can revolution be measured on a really big tachometer?

would it be measured in revolutions per minute - or would revolution per century be a better way?

May 27, 05 10:49 am  · 
 · 

more:

where IS our imperial engine?

picturing the white house with a flame job is kinda fun. but hotrodding the white house be considered vandalism.

i'm sure the ranch in crawford (if that's where our imperial engine is located) could use some performance enhancements.

or is mr. bush our imperial engine - himself? does HE need performance enhancements?

May 27, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven did someone slip a mickey in your coffee this morning?

hutcdj1 - how is this Urbino project (I don't know it) "hotrodding" and not just "adaptive reuse"?

May 27, 05 11:01 am  · 
 · 

I don't know the Urbino project off hand either, but I may have seen the plan in an old Lotus or something. Anyway, from what I know of Giancarlo DiCarlo architecture, it does seem to have a hot rod-ness to it, albeit distinctly Italian.

I think a double-barrel may have slipped into Steven's coffee this morning. Drink up everybody!

May 27, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 

well, you know, i'm bored, drafting, and rita's suggestion of hotrodding an empire caused a 10:49am paradigm shift. maybe i need MORE coffee.

and maybe our emperor doesn't need performance enhancements, just some new clothes (sparkly, with sequined flames).

May 27, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 

What costs more, a gallon of Starbuck's coffee or a gallon of gasoline?

May 27, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 

rhetorical question? the people fuel definitely more than the auto fuel.

which is responsible, in the lingo of the environmentalists, for more negative externalities?

yes, i hot rod my own performance with coffee. and i sometimes even wear t-shirts with ads for my favorite coffee house on them. so i've got the visual to go with the zoom.

May 27, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But do you hot rod your coffee? Customize it up with aesthetics like cream and flavor shots and sprinkles? Or go stock?

I hotrodded my black coffee this morning with an espresso shot. My coffee is a sleeper.

ZOOOOooooooooommm.....

May 27, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
ether

you people are funny... looking... i imagine...

May 27, 05 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

cream in coffee is not just aesthetic

double americano- factory hot rod, stock like a '72 911RS.

May 27, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: