Archinect
anchor

Couch Potato

wangsta

I'm looking for a cool sofa and I'm a broke bastard, so I'm looking under 1,000 bones. I don't want IKEA's particle board solutions either. Something low, simple.

Does anybody have any suggestions of manufacturers that make relatively inexpensive furniture that's not frumpilicious? (i live in Chicago)

May 12, 05 6:19 pm
ether

room and board

May 12, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

EQ3 is a pretty decent dealer. I got some stuff from them. Also West Elm isn't bad. But I'm not super-keen on their stuff.

Sorry but I know mostly stuff in LA

May 12, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
jtelnack

Design and build one if there isn't one that you absolutely must have.

May 12, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

i'd love to, right now i don't exactly have the time or resouces to build something of that scale. i build a couple of tables (coffee and end tables) but a couch would require a shop. i live in the middle of the city. maybe i could find a rental shop in the West Loop

May 12, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
ether

there use to be city run wood shops around town but i haven't researched to see if they are still in use - one was up in lincoln park. might call the park district. 312.742.7529

have you been to the room and board store? 55 east ohio

May 12, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

yeah, i've been to room and board a couple of times. some cool stuff, my brother actually bought a pretty cool sofa there. Most of it's a little out of my price range. i'll give it another shot though...

Thanks for the phone #

May 12, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

sit on the floor. if you were really broke, you wouldn't be buying a couch. sitting on the floor toughens ones hindquarters and stiffens ones spine.

May 12, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
anonymouse
www.holdeverything.com

im happy with my dexter sofa and ottoman

May 13, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
www.westelm.com

has got some decent ones, although I think they discontinued the one I really liked.
www.ikea.com has some decent ones, too, that are cheap (don't forget - you get what you pay for, though)

May 13, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

you guys are good...keep 'em comin'

May 13, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
ether

there's a furniture store called roy's on 2455 N Sheffield Ave...

i will say most of the stuff is crap but on occasion they do get some decent stuff in stock.. the prices are pretty damn good too - most of it is discounted considerably by the time it hits the floor..

there is also a marshall fields furniture warehouse that is full of discounted mf stuff.. they have some decent stuff there for really cheap. i am pretty sure it's at the NW corner of belmont and cicero but not comepletely - it's been awhile.. i'm sure you could call mf and ask.

May 13, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
JG

white on white

he uses the orginal specs and makes them on the cheap but it's in NY.

May 13, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
caanz

craiglist .com..
you could get a really cheap couch there.i got mine from it for about 45$ ...its not that preety.but not bad at all

Dec 21, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
caanz

craiglist .com..
you could get a really cheap couch there.i got mine from it for about 45$ ...its not that preety.but not bad at all

Dec 21, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: