Archinect
anchor

tile detail construction cost comparison

makingspace

specific to southern california: 

cost comparison between the following.  which more affordable?

ceramic tile with cove base at floor and bull nose at wall

or 

ceramic tile with cove base at floor and schluter profile at wall

thanks

Sep 13, 22 4:52 pm

Ask several manufacturers that supply to Southern California. 

Sep 13, 22 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Bull nose is pretty standard, Schluter is not. A lot of tile subs are probably not going to be fond of doing it, and will charge extra for it, regardless of actual install costs. 

Sep 13, 22 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
makingspace

thank you. i didn't know that. i thought schluter was a standard product. that didn't require much extra effort.

Sep 13, 22 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I see a lot of Schluter in Southern California, depending on project type (uncommon in cheap residential and good residential, ubiquitous in cheap residential meant to look "high-end", uncommon in developer-driven commercial but quite common in institutional).

Sep 13, 22 11:19 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

Good tile subs in my town use Schluter often and price it fairly, the shitty ones don't want to bother with it and will charge extra.

Sep 15, 22 6:23 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

I almost wrote something to the same point as Atelier Nobody. If you're doing a single family residence, don't bother. If you're doing retail or something higher end where it fits the style, do it. Pretty much the worst that would happen is it wouldn't get built the way you want.

Sep 16, 22 1:45 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I've always used schluter trims... never spec'd a bull nose. Not even sure I know what one looks like. Schluter runs like 10$/foot here so it ain't cheap too

Sep 16, 22 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I also usually spec Schluter Quadec for all tile edging and outside corners.

Sep 16, 22 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

I wouldnt even price this differently, cost is the same. labor to install schluter edge vs bullnose its just the same, cost of schlutter edge profile vs bullnose tile? unless bullnose is marble or sometype of high end material, no gc or sub in their right mind would spend the time and effort in pricing this differently, its the same cost.

Sep 13, 22 8:42 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the cost difference, if any, to be significant in the overall cost of a project.

Sep 13, 22 11:20 pm  · 
1  · 
makingspace

thank you both.

Sep 15, 22 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Schluter termination strips are very common here in the northeast US. They are most expensive than they should be but the upcharge is probably similar to that of bullnose tile. 

Sep 17, 22 9:17 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: