Archinect
anchor

Question for my Canadians (and Others Who Use Metric)

atelier nobody

I'm shopping for a 3-sided metric scale, and I'm very confused.

Here in the Land of the Free (to Use Absurd Measurements), we have a universal "architects' scale" with the same set of 11 standard drawing scales, but when I look for metric scales I see at least 9 or 10 different "models" with significant overlap of the available drawing scales, but each one with slight differences.

Is there one that you would consider the "standard" scales for architects, or do y'all just have to collect the whole set?

Aug 5, 22 4:36 pm
Almosthip

This is what I use 

metric scale

Aug 5, 22 5:38 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

1:2.5 scale? Get out of here with that sorcery. Might as well also include 1:45, 1:175 or whatever else the juniors in my office use.

Aug 5, 22 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Some of the ones that have come op in my searches have 1:33-1/3...

Aug 5, 22 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I use a regular ruler. It’s metric. It’s divisible by rational numbers. No need for silly conversion charts. 

Aug 5, 22 5:57 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Absolute truth - but I don't math so good in my head, even with an all decimal system.

Aug 5, 22 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I bought the fountain pen arch scale combo that was featured here a while back. I typically use it during drawing review but only use the 1:100 side even though there are many other options (it’s a typ triangle scale that doubles as a full length cap for fountain pen)

Aug 5, 22 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

Canadians have been saying that we converted to metrics for many years. And yet every client and GC I had requests imperial. They teach imperial in school.  

Aug 5, 22 6:40 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

My metric to imperial project ration is 50 to 1. Good contractors understand both. Shitty contractors complain. Metric is far superior, esp for large scale and commercial projects.

Aug 5, 22 6:48 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Unless something changed today, they absolutely do not teach Imperial measurements in school, and haven't for almost 40 years. Having said that, yeah, we still use it from time to time, mostly on renovation plans to older buildings. Keep in mind that most building products we use come from the US and are manufactured to Imperial dimensions. That's the unfortunate reality. Personally, I never learned Imperial in school, but I'm a lot more comfortable with it than metric, and that goes for basically anybody who's ever worked on a construction site in the great white north.

Aug 5, 22 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Au contraire b owling_ball, we learned both imperial and metric... but mostly use metric except for products. West coast though :).

Aug 5, 22 9:16 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Aug 5, 22 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: