Archinect
anchor

Architecture Job that requires Travel

ArchKid

What Architecture position can I get that requires me to travel to different cities and countries. Is it mostly in the consultation roles? 

Jul 3, 22 4:09 pm
Non Sequitur

rock star. Try being one of those. 

Jul 3, 22 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Like working as a facility designer for companies trying to build facilities everywhere.  I just saw Campbell Soup is looking for someone with Architecture background. Similarly, Starbucks, Target and even McDonald's would have positions like that as well.

Jul 5, 22 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

But even those company's have regional employees. I work with a major fast food company and they have regional architects that they hire and than staff Project Managers that are responsible for areas, for example: the project manager I work with is responsible for Western Canada

Jul 5, 22 5:16 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Really? setting your sights high!

Jul 5, 22 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Yes, they have regional teams but there are also global teams as regional teams sometimes don't have enough support, or the firms may not have constant incoming work to keep them busy. I'm trying to land a job just to cover Western part of the U.S. With a new baby coming, I don't want to do too much travel.

Jul 5, 22 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Most of the big firms like HOK, Gensler, NBBJ have overseas projects, so if you find a studio that is working on one of those, you may have the chance to travel. In the initial parts of the career, you'd likely be the person accompanying the design principal to help them with CAD, rotating around the 3d model etc, but can later grow into a more designer role.

If you want to go that route, seek an interview at one of these offices and be very clear in your interview that you would like to travel and work on overseas projects.

Jul 5, 22 6:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Stasis

I worked in one of those big firms. Typically, director level or Project managers travel to present to those international clients. There may be some opportunities for designers to visit the site, but unless they interface with the clients, I am not sure how much those companies are willing to fly designers. 

There are some big AEC companies that have offices worldwide have relocation program where you can apply to work in another country while getting paid.  However, this also depends on your skill sets are desired by other offices. 

Jul 5, 22 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I started traveling with my boss/senior designers about 3 years into my career. As I mentioned, initial responsibilities were rotating the 3d model, getting stuff printed for on-site charrettes etc. Now I go, sometimes alone but most times with principal-level people for presenting, co-ordination etc. It is fun in the beginning but gets tiring later on with kids etc.

Jul 5, 22 9:22 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Having professional native language proficiency helps too - and I mean professional to the level that you have a working knowledge of AEC terminology, conventions, and jargon.

Jul 5, 22 6:50 pm  · 
1  · 
Stasis

Even though I am not excited about any travel nowadays, I was jealous when my colleague said she was required to go to Hawaii islands for a punch walk...  I thought a single day trip would suffice for the PW, but why not take a rest of the week to do in-depth punch walks... 

Jul 5, 22 7:35 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: