Archinect
anchor

Let's begin a revolution?

Liberalitarian

There is no limit on ideas to be offered.

May 26, 22 7:21 pm
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

W3rd
May 26, 22 8:14 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

forget gehry, this seems more like a project for elon musk.

May 26, 22 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Here’s the letter I sent to AIA leadership tonight. I want a revolution that results in a caring world for all people.

Good evening all:

I sat in the restroom stall at my office today crying, because of the stories coming out of Robb Elementary School.  I feel broken, and so angry.

I've been a registered architect for almost 20 years, and I know - I KNOW - that we cannot design a building to protect against a person who wants to use an assault rifle to kill children. The tweet from the Committee on Architecture Education from yesterday was a common sense and passionate response (yes something can be both sensible and passionate - do we not believe our buildings to be able to be both firm and delightful?) asking our political leaders to take *actual* action. I'm concerned over why this tweet caused the AIA CAE account to be locked? Theirs is a point of view I want to be widely, loudly heard.

As a professional organization, we should *not* be advocating for "hardening" schools. We are architects for all people, and we should be advocating for a safe *society for* all people.  And, I hesitate to say this because it sounds so mercenary, but: if we as architects advocate for "hardening" schools it makes us *look like* mercenaries, like we are eager to get projects turning our schools into prisons. I want no part of a professional organization that would put our own potential jobs ahead of the lives of our community's children.

I love being an AIA member. My local chapter, with our amazing leader Jason Shelley, is full of wonderful, hard-working, compassionate people who want to make the world a better place. I do not, in my heart, believe that turning our schools into prisons makes the world better. What I do believe is that we need to tell the politicians who advocate for hardening our schools that they need to look to gun control, not architects, to solve this heartbreaking and uniquely American problem.

Please. Let us take the correct stand.

May 26, 22 11:00 pm  · 
10  · 
Non Sequitur

This:

Woot, so progressive, so intelligent, in the good old UsOFa... sad trombone.

May 27, 22 7:36 am  · 
2  ·  1
sameolddoctor

NS, we do not need your sarcastic humor right now, its just too soon. We all know how fucked up this country is, and we do not need to be reminded. Thanks.

May 27, 22 11:54 am  · 
 · 

sameold, I understand where your comment is coming from but I think we CAN’T stop talking about it until things change.

May 27, 22 12:33 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

sameold, staying silent and not poking at the glaring problems will not solve anything. It's times like these you (global you) need to be reminded. On another note, 2 police shot and killed some teen in Toronto the day after this latest 2A clusterfuck demonstration because they thought the kid was carrying a riffle. Since they can't confirm that there actually was a riffle (investigation pending....), it's likely safer to assume it was, I don't know, a hockey stick perhaps?

May 27, 22 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, what is infuriating is that even if they were to do that it and it could somehow work, the tragedy would move to busses, loading zones, and athletic fields. It is the type of weapon and magazine period. Anything else won't work period.

May 27, 22 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^it's the weapons. ALL THE WEAPONS. period. Stop promoting your shitty 2A and stop normalizing the carry/purchase/ownership or weapons AND figure out your health care so that help is available/affordable. Then maybe you can join the rest of developed world and stop being such a sad a pathetic "proud" country.

May 27, 22 1:07 pm  · 
8  · 
SneakyPete

I hate the feeling of knowing you're right but STILL wanting to argue since I live here.

May 27, 22 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

You gotta love the AIA, we won't get rid of the Nazis in our organization, but we'll block you from viewing our tweets.

May 27, 22 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Now that puckering asshole, Ted Cruz, is wanting to impose his fomenting shit pipe into the architecture arena.

May 27, 22 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I can stand behind this

May 27, 22 1:32 pm  · 
3  · 

NS, if it was up to me I would melt them all down and turn them into 10 for a dollar s***ware, but I am realistic and will settle for getting rid of this particular type.

May 27, 22 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Donna and NS, Im not saying we do not need to talk. But having a kid in 4th grade, AND my wife having been victim of gun violence in the past, make me dislike such memes as posted. That said, yes I will not stop the discussion how how guns need to be banned, and vehemently kicking in the nuts any talk about how guns are an integral part of America.

And lets not forget, the Texans are allowing the fucking NRA convention to happen 300 miles from Uvalde, same place where 18 ugly, fat police officers stood in the hallway waiting for keys when babies were being murdered. Disgusting

May 27, 22 4:47 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Also, even though the healthcare system is so fucked up here, Obamacare has been a boon for millions and millions, and a step in the right direction. If they could get that bill thru the healthcare companies and thousands of lobbies, I am sure they can pass some meaningful gun legislation. But will they? I dont think so. Everyone in the right places has been paid off by the Arms manufacturers.

May 27, 22 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
proto

RE: that meme on abortion/gun access: while it expresses something that may provide a little emotional retort…there is no reason to allow that strategy on abortion access to have any credence…kinda like wishing a mass shooting on the NRA convention or Congress…don’t go there; we’re better than that

May 29, 22 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Proto ..the point of the abortion rant is simple. Make it harder to have access to guns and make it easier for wines to control what happens to their bodies. Plain and simple.

May 29, 22 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

*Women….or women with wine. Lol

May 29, 22 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 
nabrU

Joris Bhonsons jacobs on a plate

May 27, 22 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Balkins shut up already. 

May 28, 22 1:56 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

You're not worth debating because you haven't the mental capacity to imagine that you are wrong.

May 28, 22 5:35 pm  · 
3  · 

You do not have the right to own a gun outside of the context of a well regulated militia. This is a fraud perpetrated by the NRA according to Chief Justice Burger. Why don't you move to another country and take your guns with you.

May 28, 22 8:43 pm  · 
2  · 

And don't let the screen door hit you on the way out.

May 28, 22 8:45 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

You keep clinging to the gun that has no purpose but to kill. You'll never be part of a militia because that is a fantasy dreamed up by bad actors to get you onboard the murder train. You're a deluded fool frightened into justifying the murder of kids by people smarter and more evil than you are.

May 28, 22 10:23 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

The parents wanted to go in and save their kids. The cops prevented that. Where was the militia that justifies murder toys? Where was the good guy with a gun? Too chicken shit to go in, even though he had a prosthetic dick in the holster. All you gun nuts are fucking sick.

May 28, 22 10:25 pm  · 
2  · 

That was a 5 to 4 decision with 2 dissenting opinions in addition to Chief Justice Burger's opinion. You are not nor have you ever served in the military. You have no formal military training and would undoubtedly be an unmitigated disaster in any conflict. A well regulated militia would include a chain of command, training and manuvers. Name one of those your militia has or has done. Instead you regurgitate every pathetic bs excuse the NRA has ever given for having guns.

May 28, 22 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You're not fit for the boy scouts much less the military.

May 29, 22 1:44 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I have no interest in knowing you.

May 29, 22 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'll agree you're a misguided idiot. A useful fool. A great example why anyone being allowed guns is a terrible idea.

May 30, 22 12:46 am  · 
 · 
STRATA

it's an incel problem, but the mainstream seems either oblivious to it and/or embarrassed about reporting on the phenomena. the pattern and history is well documented. the u.s. is great for using euphemisms, so the media and politicians use "mental health issue". the gun lobby must love this slant since it downplays their responsibility.

1. repeal 2nd amendment as it's clearly antiquated. no longer the design intent. establish a buy back program.

2. high-powered guns for military only. handguns for police powers and boarder control only. hunting rifles per point 3.

3. hunting type guns kept secure at hunting grounds. electronic fencing and electronic tagging of guns. weapons never leave facility.

4. those caught w/ black market guns to be severely punished. some countries use death penalty for drug related offences for instance. 

5. decriminalize sex industry workers w/ regulated restrictions not unlike western counterparts such as germany, denmark, etc...

i pitched this to congressperson at some point. not even a stock email response. as lecorbusier said: "i am right!"  

May 29, 22 12:26 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Murder toys aren't the reason we are (allegedly) a democracy.

May 29, 22 9:44 am  · 
1  · 
Le Courvoisier

I see Balkins didn’t take my advice. 

May 29, 22 7:56 am  · 
2  · 
proto

Balkins here represents a very real group of people who are misguided about the 2A & have been gaslit & propagandized over 40yrs by the gun lobby. In the face of obvious data & experience, they desperately insist guns aren’t a problem. It’s sad & maddening.

LBJ proposed sensible gun safety proposals back in the 60s. There’s nothing new here. We know they are dangerous. The NRA doesn’t even allow people to go to the convention armed. The competing dual reality of “guns aren’t dangerous” & “I need guns to defend myself” is just staggering.

I believe there are reasonable conditions for civilian gun ownership; but firearms are sorely under regulated and state led policy is a losing game for the country.

Raise the age to buy semi-auto guns (any format) to 25 (same age as car rental).

Require a national license for guns only obtainable with a 4wk waiting period training course and a background check.

Create a proper database that the ATF can use to trace guns. Allow science based research for public health policy.

Public health should be properly funded. Mental health, social work etc

Let these work for 10 years and see if that isn’t fully workable for current gun owners. My guess is they can live with these.

May 29, 22 11:12 am  · 
2  ·  1
proto

There is a parallel problem of extremist nationalism that goes hand in hand with extremist gun proponents. Private militias, “patriotism” in the name of & at odds with US law; fetishizing firearms and prepping for fantasy apocalypse; cosplaying military (gravy seals); misunderstanding the court tested precedents showing extent of personal rights vs public benefit; pushing a rural/urban divide…all propped up by bad faith political & media actors who profit by publishing over-sensationalized fear-mongering half truths to further their personal bank accounts. NRA, Fox News, OAN, daytime talk radio (Limbaugh).

May 29, 22 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I’m starting to think Balkins wrote that AIA statement. Both use multiple paragraphs to say absolutely nothing that contributes to the conversation. 

May 29, 22 8:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

new concept. Let’s all vote for Balkins to speak at the next NRA orgy, or whatever you guys do to show off murder toy collections. 42 seconds of his rant will instantly convince everyone that murder toys need to be excessively controlled. 

May 30, 22 5:56 am  · 
 · 

These walls of text have rendered this thread incomprehensible.

This is an example of someone who abuses a privilege.

This is someone who believes their rights are more important than anyone elses rights be it speech or 2A.

May 30, 22 6:42 am  · 
2  ·  1
Non Sequitur

My freedom of speech is limited and I have no 2A rights yet am thriving.... ummm

May 30, 22 6:55 am  · 
1  ·  1

What about the hordes of Eskimos on your northern border? They will take
your job and f*** your women.

May 30, 22 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's summer, them dog sleds don't work without snow. We only worry about the far north invasion in winter but by then we'll have stocked up on sharpened broken hockey sticks.

May 30, 22 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It is if you believe in the "right" to own murder toys. Good thing for me I live in a place that cares about such things.

May 30, 22 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

He also believes in the right to give people covid.

May 30, 22 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Z1, according to X, covid never existed.

May 30, 22 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

I worked on schools for a number of years.

I look back on that time with a great deal of pride.

Imo the idea of hardening them into a prison environments is wrong headed and would be ineffective.

May 30, 22 4:39 pm  · 
2  ·  1
STRATA

canadians are quite reasonable and rational. after the montreal poly massacre in '89, which was a pre-internet incel case btw, they quickly established prudent gun control laws. many schools in other countries have guarded, single-point entries with fairly solid perimeters other than exits w/ panic hardware ideally. the architects of post-war schools in the u.s. would never have imagined this new safety design determinant to be considered. nothing wrong with learning about other successful models be it built environment strategies and/or policy. i realize there's a question of scale since canada is about 10% of the u.s. population for example. more of our peeps should be in the business of policy making because of how such matters tie in w/ buildings and infrastructure. singapore, curitiba, and others became better cities via leaders w/ architectural training. i know this has become a candid, hot topic, but i think we would all agree, we want a reasonable balance between personal freedom and life safety. how this takes shape moving forward is anyone's guess. tragically, for now, life safety is at the forefront. peace.

May 30, 22 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Well, that did not take long.

So I'm out of power/internet for 8 days (yay tornado, must be because of all the gays and canada geese - Xjla) and my fun is cut short?  what gives dawg?

May 30, 22 5:43 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

Who puts tornadoes in Canada?

May 30, 22 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The homosexual agenda?

May 30, 22 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: