Archinect
anchor

2-3 years experience - showing professional work in a portfolio

Pandekage

Quick question - say someone's been working 2-3 years and looking to change employers. Their portfolio should start having office work now. Assuming their work isn't expressly top secret how should one go about showing what they've done to potential new employers without getting bit, legally? Only public (website) content on the emailed PDF, and then bring construction sets, etc. to the interview? Send everything in the email?

May 26, 22 12:27 pm
natematt

I feel like anything that is not top secret is fair game for a portfolio as long as you give credit. That's what most people do. 

It's probably clearly outlined in the AIA code of ethics or something. 

May 26, 22 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone having a problem sharing their work in a portfolio as long as it really is your own work (or your current boss is just an asshole - there is a story about FLW & Schindler that comes to mind).

May 26, 22 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

In a PDF portfolio is fine. I even include confidential work there. It's fine. Just don't put that stuff on a website, or if you do, be very clear about what your role was and that it was completed with another firm. 

There's a world of difference between using work to get another job working at a firm vs using work completed at a firm to open your own firm.

May 27, 22 3:22 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: