Archinect
anchor

Rankings and choosing an M Arch program

mnat99

People discuss rankings a lot when it comes to architecture school. I guess I’m a bit contused on where to turn to if I want to get a real sense of the rankings. Do most people point to design intelligence? I’m choosing between UT Austin, Michigan Taubman, and Pratt for a 3 year M. Arc program. If I were to forget finances and pick the “best” program would UT Austin be the correct choice as it is ranked highest in the most recent design intelligence rankings?

Apr 14, 22 10:54 pm
Non Sequitur

maybe. 

Apr 15, 22 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Tinjin

I think all those programs are so neck-in-neck rankings wise and the rankings seem so arbitrary/transient that I would choose based on the program, where you want to be geographically during/after school, and cost, although if I am being honest, I think you can go wherever you want after school with any of those degrees, but some might make it easier getting more connections/options in certain cities. Michigan grads seem to go to Chicago or New York afterward, not as familiar with UT Austin grads, and I would imagine Pratt grads often stay in New York. I would also pinpoint firms you might want to be at after school and look at where their employees were educated. For example, I recently stalked some starchitect firms in New York for fun (don't want to work for a starchitect but was curious) and saw more UT Austin grads (and some Pratt) than I expected. From what I have seen, employers care more about familiarity (i.e. if they went there or others they like working with went there) with the program than ranking - I would keep that in mind.

Anyway congrats! You have some great options

Apr 15, 22 10:15 am  · 
 · 
RJ87

Don't forget finances.

Apr 15, 22 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: