Archinect
anchor

McGill University M.Arch

nafe

Hi Everyone, I recenlty got admitted to McGill University and a couple schools in the US (gsapp, cornell) for my M.Arch but the finances are impossible. I am leaning towards going to McGill and maybe pursuing a post grad after in the US or London. I know I don't want to stay in Canada long term but I feel like this degree will still allow me to apply to jobs in the US and Europe, am I wrong? I am a canadian citizen

Apr 11, 22 7:26 pm
Non Sequitur

McGill is an excellent school and significantly less $$$ than American ones. Bonus that it’s in downtown Montreal. Only con is the whole Quebec thing, but that’s what gas station beer and late night poutine is for. Eh?

Apr 11, 22 7:55 pm  · 
1  · 
nafe

Haha I've been living in Montreal for the past 4 years actually and I speak French so it's quite nice! but I am wondering if it's hard to find a good job in Europe for example with a degree from McGill

Apr 11, 22 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The degree can carry some sex appeal but really, you’ll get much further without student debt than the name of the degree. Jobs are earned by skill, not the name of your school. En bon français, tabarnak.

Apr 11, 22 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

it wont hurt you to go to McGill. It is a good school and well enough known. If you want to go to the states for grad school it would certainly be an option. You wont be under-trained or anything, if that is a fear.

Going to Europe for work wont be a problem. The main thing will probably be getting a visa and the state of the economy, not the school you went to.

Apr 11, 22 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
nafe

this is for my masters that I would be going to McGill! But I mean is the masters know enough / recognized in Europe that a firm would help me with the visa to go...?

Apr 12, 22 11:16 am  · 
 · 
KatherineP

You're better off getting your degree here so you're not 100k+ in debt. McGill is a great school and internationally recognized. If you want to work in academia you can always pursue a post-grad at any ivy but if not, I would not waste my time with those but instead gain work experience at firm. Your work experience will mainly dictate the type of job you can get, whether here or abroad.

Apr 12, 22 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: