Archinect
anchor

Syracuse vs USC vs U Cincinnati Undergrad

maneethr19

I am a high school senior and I have been recently accepted into the B. Arch programs at Syracuse and USC and the B.S. of Architecture at U of Cincinnati. All three programs seem to be very good and have produced impressive work. I am just curious if anyone had any input on which program they thought to be better.  I live in Ohio, so I would qualify for in-state tuition at UC, making it the cheapest option out of the 3, however they do not offer the 5 year B. Arch. I know that Syracuse is weighted higher than USC for rankings however, I am interested in more than just rankings. Overall as a school, I am more attracted to USC, but I have also received scholarships to Syracuse. Looking for some facts and reasons for me to attend any of these schools. Please let me know your opinion. 

Mar 27, 22 8:06 pm
SneakyPete

Syracuse is fucking cold. 

Mar 28, 22 11:13 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Will you have to take out loans to go to USC?

Mar 28, 22 11:49 am  · 
 · 
kjpn

i wouldnt go to syracuse nothing that interesting or compelling there.

UC gives you the opportunity to co-op which is definitely great.

it's not worth racking up tons of debt for a B.Arch in california in my opinion. however there are a lot of opportunities to work out here.

Mar 28, 22 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
hnate

I can offer some perspective about UC as a recent alum - it's a great school, especially from a return on investment perspective as you mentioned you are in-state. The co-op program is a huge benefit as you can be almost halfway done with your licensure hours (and make a bunch of money) before you've graduated. As with most schools you get out of it what you put in, but a good number of my classmates are working at great firms around the country or in great grad school programs. This all being said, it is a 4-year program and will NOT qualify you for licensure. This is super important to know going in - I've always wanted to go to grad school so for me it wasn't a sticking point, but if licensure is your end goal and you pick UC you will need to be prepared to go to grad school or work ~10 years in the field before you can get licensed. If you are planning on going to grad school, my 2 cents is to pick the best undergrad option that is also cheap, do your best to stand out, and then swing for the fences when you apply for grad school. The most important thing in the long run is not to take on more debt than you can afford to pay off as an architect.

Mar 28, 22 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: