Archinect
anchor

CMU vs TU Delft

ansi

Hi everyone!

I got accepted into CMU (MSSD) and TU Delft (Building Technology Track). They're both great programs and I'm  grappling with a hard decision. I'm an international student, so post degree work opportunities is definitely a factor for me. Although I'm more partial towards the course at TU Delft, I feel like CMU's small class size and work opportunities in the US give it an edge.

I would love to hear opinions from you guys and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 20, 22 2:07 pm
robhaw

I am not sure if you are aware of it but the TU Delft Building Technology track also has a small student number. I have personally taken some electives from that track at TU Delft. I think the greater emphasis is placed on Computational Design and Fabrication.  The Facades group is very well reputed and has great teachers, however there is only 1 facade course and this is really covering the basics than in-depth aspects. The Climate Design part is barely adequate and I wouldn't recommend it. However, the academic level of the students is very high and you can learn a lot by working with others especially in the Bucky lab courses. Finally, the TU Delft network is exceptional and has connection to all the starchitect firms as well as multidisciplinary engineering firms like Buro Happold in London. Finally, there are several research-based roles available for alumni at the Built Environment faculty, like PDeng and PhDs. 

Mar 20, 22 3:24 pm  · 
2  · 
ansi

Hi, thanks for your insights. Climate design and Facades are both areas of interest for me. How big was your class there?

Mar 21, 22 10:08 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

The class size for Technolodge Facade Design was about 40 people, Climate Design was less. FTD is a very nice course, addressing most basic aspects of facades. The class takes place twice a week and in addition to the tutoring there are guest lectures from Arup, Scheldebouw etc. If you choose to graduate in Facade Design, the school has great supervisors and great network. The Technolodge Climate Design was honestly inadequate. There was 1 lecture for sound, 1 for heat, 1 for light and the rest was self-directed study where we were asked to test indoor comfort at a building. However, I think there are more advanced Building Physics electives you can take at the Building Engineering track, in the Civil Engineering faculty.

Mar 21, 22 7:29 pm  · 
1  · 
ansi

So we can choose to take courses from the other departments as well?

Mar 26, 22 1:24 am  · 
 · 
ansi

Looks like my comment got accidently posted before I finished typing out the whole thing. How are the job opportunities for international students after graduating?

Mar 26, 22 1:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: