Archinect
anchor

Clemson vs CU Denver MLA

Scaley

I have been accepted to both Clemson and CU Denver (waitlisted at UPenn) with fellowships so now that the money factor is set aside, does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, criticisms of either program??

I went to visit Clemson and was very impressed by their Experimental Forest and Botanical Garden. The facilities themselves were decent and I connected with the staff. They have a nice study abroad program and Clemson's cost-of-living is very affordable. The thing is, the only thing in Clemson, SC is Clemson University...

I am going to visit CU Denver at the end of the month so I can truly compare the programs since I don't know much beyond what is accessible online. I applied to CU Denver because of the range of landscape that surrounds the area and I adore the city. Cost-of-living is double of Clemson and the program is in an urban setting than rural.  I have a feeling the program does a lot of CO focused projects unlike Clemson whose reach tends to go beyond its state limits (correct me if I am wrong). 

I was told by a MLA student to think about what type of horticulture do I want to focus on: East Coast or Mountainous/West Coast. How much does this impact post MLA studies??

Thank You!

Mar 14, 22 1:14 pm
diospyrosvirginiana

Where are you living now and what is your biome-of-choice?  I think that's strongest factor in life design.  Full tuition scholarship/fellowship at both with you picking up living costs at each?  numbeo.com is a phenomenal tool for figuring out whole-picture costs of living amidst a host of global contexts

Mar 14, 22 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Scaley

Oops...I replied with a comment.

Mar 14, 22 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
Scaley

Thank you for the reference.

I am from Southern CA and have been in Boston the last two years. Witnessing the stark difference of landscape and treatments of outdoor space was motivation for me to enter into the field.  I am responsible for all costs outside of school. 

Mar 14, 22 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

According to their website Clemson MLA students can spend two semesters at the school's Charleston, SC, facility. 

Mar 15, 22 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: