Archinect
anchor

Anyone negotiated funding with Canadian architecture graduate programs?

KatherineP

So I always see people talking about negotiating funding but I don't think I've seen many for Canadian universities. I've noticed that US schools seem to fund and offer better scholarships but also their tuition is bonkers compared to here so I feel like it evens out? Has anyone negotiated with one here, preferably local students vs international since I live here? If so, what did you use as leverage? Other acceptances? Financial situation, etc? 

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a first generation applicant so I don't have many people around me to ask about this process and how to go on about it if it's possible. I'm trying to see if I can do this with UofT and other universities. 

Mar 13, 22 3:47 am
Non Sequitur

Canadian tuition is a tenth the cost of USA tuition. Does not hurt to ask but it’s unlikely. Best case is they direct to you to their grant page where you can apply for several small bursaries. 

Mar 13, 22 8:20 am  · 
 · 
KatherineP

Yeah I figured, nothing to lose if anything. I saw a few get full funding who mentioned it + their portfolio on the daniel's youtube channel and so I was curious how they managed to do that ie maybe negotiated it etc

Mar 13, 22 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

My daughter is finishing her MBA and went through pages upon pages of grant and scholarships being offered across the entire university and ended up applying for a bunch of them,  came away with about $30k.   At large universities there are lots of opportunities to find financial support but you need to grind through all the documents and be prepared to send in applications all year long you never know which ones will pay out.

Mar 14, 22 7:13 pm  · 
3  · 
KatherineP

I've just started looking at those now so I'm exploring all of my options forsure. Really happy your daughter found a way to fund her degree!

Mar 14, 22 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
shufeng

I want to go abroad for the study! But I don't know what country is suitable for me? fnaf

Mar 14, 22 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
KatherineP

If I were you, I would look at what you can afford and the quality available. Definitely avoid getting yourself into huge debt over this so consider funding, cost of living abroad, what type of career you want, etc to limit your choices.

Mar 15, 22 2:14 am  · 
 · 
KatherineP

Does anyone from Canada have experience applying to OGS and got that scholarship? Any tips and advice would be much appreciated. 

Mar 18, 22 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: