Archinect
anchor

Regarding construction management

robhaw

Could you please recommend a good resource (either book or online course) that thoroughly teaches the sequencing of construction works, plant, labour, site organisation etc.

Unfortunately, there is no relevant course offered at the architecture school that I am currently attending. All this falls under construction management, right? Can it be covered via self-study or would I need to work for a contractor to learn?

Nov 16, 21 8:19 pm

You learn this in the field.

Nov 16, 21 9:10 pm  · 
Wood Guy

I know this author a bit from another forum and have the book--it's good: https://www.amazon.com/Archite.... Even after being on job sites (residential) for 30 years I learned a lot, especially about commercial construction processes. There's no substitute for being in the field, but Brian wrote this book specifically for people like you.

Nov 17, 21 8:57 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

"Can it be covered via self-study or would I need to work for a contractor to learn?"

Nothing (or at least almost nothing) practical can ever really be learned by study (self- or directed/academic) without practical experience.

Nov 17, 21 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Can it be covered via self-study" is also known as the what's the least expensive and time-consuming way for me to convince myself I'm an expert in a subject.

Nov 17, 21 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

You're not wrong, but that (+ subsequent years of practical experience) is more-or-less how I bungled my way into architecture...

Nov 17, 21 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 
robhaw

Nov 17, 21 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

You learn the theories and principles first and then you 'apprentice' in construction management with someone who is a construction manager of good repute and learning how to apply theory to practice in given situations and then you eventually begin practicing it with progressively more autonomy and putting theory and practice together. You can watch a video about how to use tools which is what you should do as you would watch a teacher showing how to use the tools and then reinforce it by practicing it. You can't learn construction solely on reading or watching videos even from high quality sources. Ultimately, you have to practice. You can't learn how to use a hand plane just by watching a video. It can help you but you have to practice with the tool to get it right. You have to practice for the theories in construction management to be reinforced and in practice, you adapt processes because what's good for a large commercial construction processes would not necessarily apply effectively for a smaller scale residential home scale project because you might not have any practical space for using some of the kinds of equipment that would be used to optimize construction processes on a larger commercial building such as a high rise. Luckily enough, there is probably a number of good books on how to apply construction management methods for different project types that would help. There's construction management as it would be used in a construction firm vs construction administration/observation that architects do in their oversight of a project under construction.

Nov 23, 21 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

You can learn the theory and principles of construction management by reading books and some online articles (note: you need to be careful in sifting through b.s. and check the sources). HOWEVER, you learn how to apply construction management in practice first, by working as an assistant to a construction manager (or actually at least 3 of them but a 5-10 different construction managers of good repute in different types of projects. Then the third phase is doing it yourself. So, to be good at anything, it going to take at least 10 years of full-time study & experience to get good at it. 

Sure, you can get competent in less than 10 years and get to a point of being able to be the construction manager in charge working on smaller projects (at first) and working on larger projects (being the construction manager of the project vs an assistant). But it would likely take about 10 years at least to get good at it. There is no amount of time you can live to master it all. There's no such thing. There will always be something you'll learn. 

Nov 23, 21 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
stivencarrasco

Hello to everyone in this page,

what would be some recommendation for someone that is interested in going for there construction management bachelor degree? where should I am my focus to and why? How will that be used on the field after college?

Thank you in advance. 

Oct 13, 22 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: