Archinect
anchor

Gap between architectural graduates and profession

mindthegap

As newly minted graduates, do we end up in the architectural field we advocate for? Or do we compromise and stick to whatever working opportunities come our way, even if it is not what we are advocating for? Do we compromise just for financial stability?

Sep 21, 21 12:36 pm

Depends on the architectural field you advocated for. I never advocated for a field where we wouldn't be able to have financial stability. 

Seems like this is just a fancy way of asking whether or not you should take an unpaid internship for experience, or hold out for a paying job.

Don't work for free.

Sep 21, 21 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

Sep 21, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

there’s no gap, it’s an expansion joint!

Sep 21, 21 12:42 pm  · 
5  · 

I may have laughed so hard that I peed a bit.

Sep 22, 21 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just caulk the gap, it'll be fine.

Sep 21, 21 12:46 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Correction: place the sealant and backer rod in the gap.

Sep 21, 21 6:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

There is no budget left for rod.

Sep 21, 21 6:28 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Rod was unlikely to graduate anyhow, considering how much he drank.

Sep 21, 21 7:34 pm  · 
2  · 
natematt

TWO LAYERS OF SEALANT. REAR LAYER TO BE SILICONE SEALAN OVER OPEN CELL BACKER ROD. FRONT LAYER TO BE SILICONE SEALANT, BLACK, OVER CLOSED CELL BACKER ROD, WITH WEEPS EVERY 12" OC. 

Sep 22, 21 3:40 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

GC Response (in RFI form): Please clarify what "SEALAN" is and provide 3 part specification. Project has been delayed due to errors in architect drawings re: "SEALAN" - please see attached Change Order No. 297

Sep 22, 21 9:53 am  · 
3  · 

GC's next RFI: Please provide specification for weeps.

Sep 22, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

GC's next, next RFI: Installer proposes using bi-cellular backer rod to avoid keeping track of where to use open vs. closed cell backer rod types and streamline installation. Please indicate if this will be allowable and Change Order No. 298 will be prepared for signatures. Company policy is to never propose substitutions so no substitution request form will be provided.

Sep 22, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

GC's next, next, next RFI: Installer proposes using only one layer of sealant in gray color rather than black. Please indicate if this is acceptable, there will be no additional cost to implement this change.

Sep 22, 21 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

this chain hits home today... getting requests to trim down the minimum required insulation in order to save $1500loonies... in a multi-mullion dollar sports car & helicopter display garage.

Nothing in the above paragraph was changed to protect the guilty.

Sep 22, 21 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

This is why I use spell check in revit. haha. I don't even have microsoft word on my personal computer ;D

Sep 22, 21 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

These would all be pretty hard slap backs on the GC though, and would immediately flag them for conversation with the owner and their management. 

Sep 22, 21 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

With the sort of project I'd see this on, the first one would probably never happen, and if it did the owner would get really pissed at a GC about it, so it's easier to deal with.

Weeps would be in the specs already, easy.

The backer rod would be hard to review without a sub request, and the specs would clearly indicate how to go about that in division 1.... However, in practice it's hard to get a contractor to do that. I'd probably lean back on the fact that for a project with two sealant layers it's probably going to have had pre-con meetings with the owner and their waterproofing consultant involved where this was discussed, and probably even drawn up in base, so i'd just point to that and make the contractor look dumb... Though, it's probably not coming up unless it was done wrong in the field already :D

The sealant... Not acceptable, provide per contract documents. And some of the same info as above.
*calls owner's team to talk about the contractor's worrying behavior* 

Sep 22, 21 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

GC's email to the owner in response: "In the 25 years I've been working in this industry I've never had this much trouble with this type of gap. The architect clearly did not provide complete drawings and specifications. We have a record of numerous RFIs we've issued asking for clarification of their egregious errors, and they have taken too long to reply and to clarify intent causing project delays. We've offered suggestions for how to resolve the issue and are still waiting on their response. We're trying to get you a building you can feel proud of and they are just dragging their feet. Do you really care if the sealant is black? Dark gray will blend in just fine and will give you the same warranty."

Sep 22, 21 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

If an owner is so easily persuaded by a bad contractor:

1) I find it improbable that you'd be using 2 layers of sealant in the first place. 

2) It's probably not a project with a design where black sealant is really going to help you. Maybe the contractor is right and grey will look better.... 

3) You'd probably have gotten to this point in your relationship with the contractor well before installing sealant. 

Sep 22, 21 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're taking this too seriously. But to your point #3, we do have 298 change orders already so you're probably right. I'm guessing RFIs are well into 4 digits.

The real point of the GC doing all of this is to delay so that they can "justifiably" ask for more money. They don't really care about the sealant. They're just making you look bad and trying to paint themselves as the good and reasonable person in this mess. All you did was misspell one word and they've generated 4 or 5 RFIs and 2 COs. Probably more depending on how you answer the RFIs.

Sep 22, 21 4:58 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Just trying to show a little faith in the contractors out there haha

Sep 22, 21 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I will straight-up reject a submission if they misspell my office's name tho...

Sep 22, 21 5:21 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

At this point the only thing weeping is the poor bastard who has to keep the RFI log updated.

Sep 22, 21 5:30 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

I graduated into a recession. Had to take what I could get. Some was good, some was terrible. Taught kids art classes. Worked some construction. Eventually landed a full-time gig at a fab shop doing 50/50 design and fabrication. 

I finally picked up an architecture job, quickly got my license, and been grinding for some time now. With space and time though I realize all those early experiences inform my architecture, my details, my interactions with subs and fabricators, and I think, make my work much better.

I guess to say, take what is going to pay the bills, but find a way to harness that and shape it to help you achieve your long-term goals. Or maybe you'll find out you like doing something else better.

Sep 21, 21 2:02 pm  · 
5  · 
msarchive

I would say it depends on your priority. For a recent graduate, opportunities were very limited, and unrealistic expectations were needed to stay at the top of the candidate list. It will either be sink or swim scenario, whether you want to wait for the right opportunity or grab whatever comes your way. 

Advocacy will be a personal initiative for me. It doesn't necessarily have to be tied to your work, yet you can create or support something that reflects your position in what you're advocating.

Sep 21, 21 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

if you feel like you must compromise to work, either your mindset or your environment are wrong for you - change them.

Sep 22, 21 1:06 am  · 
 · 
mindthegap

yea, not that everyone is privileged to wait for the right opportunity to come by. One might get opportunities in fields that don't align with what she wants to do but might need to take up those to pay for bills.

Sep 22, 21 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: