Archinect
anchor

Job Unsatisfy

Questions

I guess many entry level designer have faced this problem or maybe not. I work here for two years and all I do everyday is still setting up sheets, pick up redlines, etc u know the rest. One time, my PM told me to wait for him to check the code, and he said it will take while. I checked myself and it tooks 2 mins. Point it's, i got left out of important conversation and see no career growth. Im looking for a new opportunity, and i just wanna make sure what i should do to not face the same situation. Please help, just feel really depress.

Jul 13, 21 4:30 pm
SneakyPete

This is not uncommon. I would suggest searching the forum to find similar discussions so the same advice doesn't get thrown at you sarcastically.

Jul 13, 21 4:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Find a new firm.  

Jul 13, 21 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Too many firms are looking right now for them not to treat you right. Have a conversation with them if you haven't. If you have and they ignored you - yeet them for a better firm.

Jul 13, 21 5:18 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

2 years out of school? Seems normal. Although I am curious on how big your firm is. If you are in a decent size firm, 2 year exp is still considered intern level. What do you expect you will be doing with 2 years of experience? Lead projects? design the project? Manage the full drawing set? Not sarcastic, just curious on how you think it should be like. In 2 year mark, 5 year mark, 7 year mark, 10 year mark, 15 year mark. I had a colleague with 10 year exp pigeonholed doing wall section and stair details in the "fancy" award winning design until he got canned in his previous firm. of course, I would not say everyone's talent or ambition is the same. I have seen people with 10 year experience still does poor jobs. While some people made it to principle/director with 10 year experience. 

If you think the current firm simply does not recognize your effort and don't want to give you bigger responsibility. You could try to find a new firm. 

Jul 13, 21 5:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay has a good point. At two years experience you COULD be assisting in the design small projects and / or parts of larger buildings.  This will all be dependent on how good of a designer you are and how much you understand how said designs could be built.  

If you struggle at either of those then you're going to spend more, if not all of your time picking up redlines and setting up sheets.  

Jul 13, 21 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Questions

Dude, thank for the comment, dont get me wrong, not trying to bad mouthing them, but I guess my point is how can i prove to them im more capable to take on more challenging task and coordinate with me rather telli
ng me what to do.

Jul 13, 21 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Work for a small firm to learn the ropes, change jobs when you feel they can’t teach you anything any more...I was inventing my own custom details and getting them built with my own bare hands at my first job fresh after my Bachelor’s degree , we were just 5 or 6 people with two partners and I was exposed to all aspects of the projects, from concept to design and execution. You can’t get that kind of exposure at larger corporate style offices with hierarchy and such.

Jul 14, 21 2:28 am  · 
 · 
Questions

We are at 10 people, but I dont get as much exposure, it is just telling me what to do and principle sketch the design..

Jul 14, 21 2:50 am  · 
 · 
Questions

Doing housing most of the time, and so theres no custom

Jul 14, 21 2:51 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

For a lot of firms, when you are hired as an intern you will always be seen as the intern no matter how long you been there. And if they haven't hired anyone new, you are still the intern. Some firms have zero growth opportunities. One firm I was at had an archive of staffing sheets going back six years. It had the same 5-6 people and then a revolving door of over a dozen or so who lasted 1-2 years. Guess which group I was in. Time to move on.

Jul 14, 21 6:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Jul 14, 21 7:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: