Archinect
anchor

Motorcycling Central

atelier nobody

Continuing the theme of the other threads - who my biker peeps?

The first motor vehicle I ever had was a 1981 Vespa P200E for my 16th birthday in 1983 (it was actually new, just had been in stock since '81 - that was the last year they could be legally imported, so the dealer stocked up). I loved that little scooter right up until it was stolen.

Modern Vespa : Just bought my first vintage. P200e

Later, age 23ish?, I bought an '82 Yamaha Seca 750 that I loved to death - almost literally. Turns out a 750cc crotch-rocket isn't the best learning bike for someone whose only previous experience was a little scooter - on the positive side, sacrificing all 3 bones in my left arm did prevent my head hitting the pavement (sans helmet of course - it was pre-helmet-laws and I was just way too cool and invincible). After recovering from the near-death experience, I made an attempt to rebuild the bike, but ended up giving it to a friend as the proverbial "basket case".

Yamaha XJ 750 Seca 1981 Specs and Photos

Some time in my 40s I started fantasizing about restoring an old British bike, but I really need to take a motorcycle safety course or two and start on a smaller bike, based on my early experience. Maybe I'll get another little scooter...

Apr 10, 21 4:40 pm

First bike was a 100cc Hodaka Super Rat, I was a freshman in high school. Learned how to crash and survive on it and dreamed of racing the ISDT (now called the ISDE).

Second bike was a Honda XL500 single that I built into a scrambler and raced in New England when I was at RISD. Super-thumper fun, feet up powersliding with a huge rooster tail.

Third bike was a Honda XR350, single-cylinder 4-valve with dual carb and dual exhaust. Good pull down low like a thumper and screamed on top like a 2 stroke. Ran that as a street-legal recreational woods bike.

When I went back to school for computer science I had a BMW K100 RS, a flat four that leaked oil into the cylinder when on the side stand and blew blue smoke on startup. 

When my daughter was born I said goodbye to motorcycles. I used to think about getting another bike, specifically the BMW R75 with the long wheelbase, but that passed (thankfully). Not worth the risk - I have  the motorcycle-specific condition know as WOT and have somehow managed to survive some pretty horrific crashes with little damage.

Apr 10, 21 7:42 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

When my mother was pregnant with me, my grandfather gave my mom & dad a car so his pregnant daughter could stop riding around on the back of dad's Bultaco.

Apr 10, 21 7:48 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

So many. I'm on my way out the door but bikes have been a passion of mine since my parents bought me a YZ50 for my eighth birthday. 

Then it was a DS80 at 10, and a Suzuki something-dirtbike (125cc) at 12. Had a Kawasaki scrambler soon after. Can't remember the years - I was a little kid and they are all used but my dad was a mechanic.

At 16 I had a Yamaha 650 Maxim. Shaft drive. Forgettable but it got me around. I moved to a Honda Nighthawk at 18 when I moved to another city for uni. 

Next to was a super fun bike - a CBR600 that I modified heavily to remove weight and increase stupidity. Went 180km/h on my initial ride, without even realizing it. Learned how to wheelie on the street...poorly. 

There was a drought after that for a little while. A Yamaha RD400 project bike that never made it out of the garage.

For the past few years I've been riding a heavily modified flat tracker (Yamaha XS650) that's truly one of a kind, but it would give away way too much of my anonymity. Fun enough bike but thinking of selling. I get offers on it every time I go out.

Can't wait to come back and talk about bikes!

Apr 10, 21 8:36 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Also there were several more I can't remember right now.... expensive hobby...

Apr 10, 21 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: