Archinect
anchor

identify this historical building in Boston from an image

genez

Hi,

I am trying to identify this historical building in Boston from the attached image. Your input will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Feb 5, 21 1:11 pm
SneakyPete

more context, please

Feb 5, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

When is your homework due?

Feb 5, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
genez

For the context - this is supposed to be an easily recognizable historical building in Boston, in line with Coliseum in Rome and St Basil in Moscow Red Square, Eiffel Tower in Paris etc. The closest i have found on the Web is Athenaeum building of the Boston Public Library, however, this image building is different. I was hoping if some Massachusetts residents would come up with some pointers.

Feb 5, 21 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

I can tell from the Citgo sign that it's Fenway Park.

Feb 5, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I went to college in Boston and minored in the history of art and architecture (nearly a double major) so I was a bit surprised that I couldn't quite place your image, though it has been 25 years since I graduated. It certainly looks Boston-y. I think it most closely resembles Quincy Market, aka the Fanueil Hall Marketplace, but that has a distinctive gable end that does not match your image and the proportions are different. I've been in, past and/or written about most of the buildings on this list, several of which have elements in common with your image but none that match perfectly as far as I can tell: https://www.bostonmagazine.com....

The gable end windows in your image and the round brick structure in the background should be clues. The round brick structure looks like Saarinen's chapel at MIT but that's close to the ground, and I can't think of a building nearby that looks like the one that is presumably granite in your image.

Is there a chance that the image is just supposed to evoke a feeling, or are you sure it's a sketch of an actual building? Maybe someone will recognize it and I can dope-slap myself for not remembering... 

Feb 5, 21 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Looks like the entrance to Fenway Park at Landsdowne and Brookline streets. 

Feb 5, 21 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Volunteer, kind of but not really, IMO: 

Feb 5, 21 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

The OPs drawing has pennant flags flying on a stadium in the background. Can't think of anywhere else in Boston it could be. 

Feb 5, 21 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Are we looking at the same drawing?

Feb 5, 21 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Ah, I think you're seeing pennants where I see clouds.

Feb 5, 21 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i grew up near boston too and can't recognize this. it looks like a hypothetical michael graves design to me.

googling i found the original textbook exercise.

i don't think boston actually has any famously iconic buildings comparable to the coliseum or st basils cathedral though. it's just a nice city full of good architecture.

https://reshalka.com/uchebniki/5-klass/english/afanaseva1/195

Feb 5, 21 9:09 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

My browser won't open your link--any chance you could cut and paste it? This has been driving me crazy(er).

Feb 5, 21 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

sure posted below

Feb 5, 21 10:04 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

these seem to be exercises from an english language textbook for russian (?) speakers. lately google seems to have figured out my secret life as a spy and is serving me lots of ads in russian (ukranian?) so this came up quickly on searching ;)

Feb 5, 21 10:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Awesome, thank you. My wife reads and speaks Russian and says it's Russian, for "English Class 5" or something like that.

Feb 5, 21 10:13 pm  · 
1  · 
morningrise

it’s hynes convention center, 900 boylston street!

Feb 6, 21 7:30 am  · 
5  · 
midlander

winner! OP this is not at all a famous or historic building though, wonder how it got picked.

Feb 6, 21 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Good eye! It's an attractive building but I agree that it's in no way historic. I've only been as far as the lobby. In college I brought a few dates up to the top of the Prudential Center next door, great views of the city.

Feb 6, 21 11:33 am  · 
 · 
genez

Very impressive brainstorming! Thanks everyone for your input! Although, Hynes Convention Center is not quite in the same league as Eiffel Tower and Coliseum :-), not yet anyway.

Feb 6, 21 10:51 am  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: