Archinect
anchor

Recent Graduate, PC set up help please

Kate3000

Hi Guys,

- I am a recent architecture graduate. My company said that they will sponsor me to get a better PC, with the limit up to £710.

Requirements set by the company:

- 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1T HDD, WiFi and Windows 10

- Either i7 or ryzen 7

- Two monitors (not included in the £710)

- GPU is not mentioned.

I did some research and found two set ups. I think GPU is important in design but is it?

Both have 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1T HDD, WiFi and Windows 10

- Set up 1 - CPU - Intel i5 9400f with GPU - GTX 1660 Super 6GB

- Set up 2 - CPU - Ryzen 7 2600x with GPU - GTX 1650 4GB

I understand that 1660super is much better than 1650, however I'm worried about the cpu as i5 6cores and 6threads, compared to Ryzen is 8cores 16threads.

- Which one would be better for me, providing its for architecture not gaming or do you have even better one in mind, please?

- Since GPU is not mentioned, should I focus on better CPU with integrated GPU?

Thank you in advance.

Nov 26, 20 12:08 pm
apscoradiales

What does your computer/network guy in your company say? Pick his brain. What apps will you be running?

Nov 26, 20 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't get integrated GPU... terrible idea.

GPUs can be upgraded, so get the best one your office can afford (needs 2 video outs), ditto for 32gb ram and cooling fans!

Look at your software manufacturer's recommended settings.

Nov 26, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

More ram. 32gb at least.

Nov 26, 20 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Kate3000

I'm starting the work in January so I haven't met many people yet. 

The budget is £710, so I could go for 32gb ram but then i would have to cheap out a little on cpu and gpu?

Recommendations set by them are very strange because (but within budget): 

the ram here is 8 but i would have 16 and storage i would have higher. The problem is they recommend no graphic card and to focus on strong CPU, to which it's a big no to me and like you said integrated gpu is bad but i ddont know, no pc person. 

For programs: AutoCAD mandatory, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office Suite, ArcGIS, hand drawing, Sketch Up, Rhino, 

I mean I will have contact with all of them within few upcoming years. I will surely upgrade the pc but in about 2 years time.

Nov 26, 20 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Kate3000

this is the screenshot after *(but within budget): somehow didnt send

Nov 26, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: