Archinect
anchor

Recent Graduate, PC set up help please

Kate3000

Hi Guys,

- I am a recent architecture graduate. My company said that they will sponsor me to get a better PC, with the limit up to £710.

Requirements set by the company:

- 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1T HDD, WiFi and Windows 10

- Either i7 or ryzen 7

- Two monitors (not included in the £710)

- GPU is not mentioned.

I did some research and found two set ups. I think GPU is important in design but is it?

Both have 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1T HDD, WiFi and Windows 10

- Set up 1 - CPU - Intel i5 9400f with GPU - GTX 1660 Super 6GB

- Set up 2 - CPU - Ryzen 7 2600x with GPU - GTX 1650 4GB

I understand that 1660super is much better than 1650, however I'm worried about the cpu as i5 6cores and 6threads, compared to Ryzen is 8cores 16threads.

- Which one would be better for me, providing its for architecture not gaming or do you have even better one in mind, please?

- Since GPU is not mentioned, should I focus on better CPU with integrated GPU?

Thank you in advance.

Nov 26, 20 12:08 pm
apscoradiales

What does your computer/network guy in your company say? Pick his brain. What apps will you be running?

Nov 26, 20 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't get integrated GPU... terrible idea.

GPUs can be upgraded, so get the best one your office can afford (needs 2 video outs), ditto for 32gb ram and cooling fans!

Look at your software manufacturer's recommended settings.

Nov 26, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

More ram. 32gb at least.

Nov 26, 20 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Kate3000

I'm starting the work in January so I haven't met many people yet. 

The budget is £710, so I could go for 32gb ram but then i would have to cheap out a little on cpu and gpu?

Recommendations set by them are very strange because (but within budget): 

the ram here is 8 but i would have 16 and storage i would have higher. The problem is they recommend no graphic card and to focus on strong CPU, to which it's a big no to me and like you said integrated gpu is bad but i ddont know, no pc person. 

For programs: AutoCAD mandatory, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office Suite, ArcGIS, hand drawing, Sketch Up, Rhino, 

I mean I will have contact with all of them within few upcoming years. I will surely upgrade the pc but in about 2 years time.

Nov 26, 20 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Kate3000

this is the screenshot after *(but within budget): somehow didnt send

Nov 26, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: