Archinect
anchor

HVAC Design & Mathematics

kristian96

I understand that HVAC Design is outside the traditional architect's scope. However, there are some universities that teach HVAC design within very technical architecture courses. 

I was just curious as to whether anyone here is familiar with HVAC design and what mathematical background is necessary in order to be able to develop this skill. 

Oct 11, 20 3:57 pm
midlander

we had a mechanical systems course as part of my b.arch degree which included general rules for system sizing. to be honest i've forgotten every bit of it because it's totally tangential to my career path and those of most architects. but the math was simple, basic algebra. real mep systems engineering (and the PE) requires a related engineering degree afik - it's not a self teachable skill.

Oct 12, 20 12:57 am  · 
 · 
theengineer

I will echo what midlander said; basic algebra and an ability to to use tabulated data for the duct/distribution system.  It gets more complicated when you add system design, but that goes beyond an architects scope and falls on the mechanical designer to sort out.

Oct 12, 20 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: