Archinect
anchor

Architecture books ownership

kristian96

Just wondering how many of you have your own library of architectural books that you have collected over the years. 

Have you kept your college level books and kept buying? Or did you perhaps reach a point where you decided not to grow your library any further? 

Did you switch to digital books (e.g. with kindle)? How big/versatile is your architecture library and how much reading do you get done these days? 

Oct 11, 20 7:23 am
Non Sequitur

i stopped buying arch related books once I left grad school. I have a fair collection of academic books and they certainly look good on my shelf, but I don’t need those anymore for practice. Digital books suck tho. Give me dead trees or GTFO. 

Oct 11, 20 7:55 am  · 
1  · 
kristian96

Do you not read because you've lost interest in architecture as a subject, or do you not have the time?

· 
Non Sequitur

I never said I don't read. I just don't read architecture/academic books anymore. My reading list is entirely composed of non-arch stuff. Mostly natural science, physics, political science and the occasional biographies. My night stand currently has one Degrass-Tyson, one Dawkins, and one Hawkins book. It was a breath of fresh air to stop reading arch stuff once I graduated.

edit:  There is always time.  Even when you think you don't have it, there is always time for hobbies.

1  · 
kristian96

Ok, I was referring solely to architectural reading. I don't know what your level is but do you not think that you would benefit professionally from reading technical material for example?

· 
Non Sequitur

I get all the technical material from my product manufacturers. That shit stays up to date in a way that published picture books cannot meet.

1  · 
kristian96

How about recent building science research/papers? Would these be beneficial or at least of interest to you?

· 
Bench

+1 for reading anything non-arch. Go get a hobby and become a more well-rounded individual!

3  · 
x-jla

I still buy landscape arch books, but the kind that showcase the work of specific firms...Mostly pictures and little text...I went on a buying spree last month on Amazon...I look at them once and never open them again, so kindnof a waste of money

· 
apscoradiales

Threw most of mine out when we moved to Europe.

Then, threw out some more when we moved back to Canada.

All I have now is what's in my head...and every day there is less...;(...!

Oct 11, 20 9:39 am  · 
4  · 
kristian96

Throwing them out is not something I could do. Do you spend time reading blogs or magazines or do you in general abstain from reading due to lack of time or interest?

· 
apscoradiales

Shipping costs back and forth across the Atlantic is pretty expensive. I used to read Detail magazine from Germany, but cannot find it for sale any more in Canada. I do get them while in Europe though. Interest in architecture has never really left me even though I'm retired. When i get bored, I still sit behind a computer and doodle in ACAD, lol. And when I travel, buildings are the first thing I notice...lol.

· 
midlander

similar for me, i've moved long distance several times and ended up selling or giving away all but a few particularly special ones. the availability of design media online has made physical ownership of books unnecessary, though it is nice to look through them. truthfully the multiplicity of viewpoints on different platforms readily available online is more informative than the fixed views presented in any single book.

· 
randomised

My architecture and design book collection just keeps growing, partly because the gf is in publishing architecture and design books and partly because a lot of the work I do ends up in books and publications as well...and then there are the occasional gems I pick up here and there. Nothing too theory heavy though, just the regular OMA/Koolhaas stuff as architecture theory is dead anyways since Superdutch and Fukuyama.

Oct 12, 20 2:21 am  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Willing to share any OMA & Koolhaas recommendations? Haven't read too much on, tbh

· 
randomised

Can’t go wrong with Content, Project Japan or Elements of Architecture...

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Mutations

1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Thank you both, I'll take a look into them!

· 
thatsthat

Elements of Venice.

· 
kristian96

Books are amazing. I love buying a book, reading it extremely thoroughly and then keeping it with me as a long-life friend. Owning books I really like gives off a warm feeling of reassurance. I also exchange books and magazines with friends. Many of you view this exclusively from the practical/economical perspective, but what happened to the geek inside you?

Oct 16, 20 2:53 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

the geek inside of me thoroughly designs and details buildings... also, did I not say earlier that I have Hawkins on my bedside table? What more do you want?

· 
caramelhighrise

I don't own a house yet so don't have the space for a library, but have amassed a collection split between my desk at work, boxes in storage units, and even bins at my parents house. Not a crazy amount, if I had to guess there's maybe less than 50. Everything from college textbooks to ARE study materials, to my Grandpa's outdated engineering handbooks from decades ago. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read a single one front to back and I only keep them for the novelty and the hope that someday I'll fill a bookshelf with them in my home office.

I have maybe 3-4 books that I occasionally crack open to look something up because everything's online or searchable PDFs nowadays. But there's definitely a romantic aspect to it.

Oct 23, 20 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: