Archinect
anchor

Changing jobs during Covid? Should I wait?

gentle puppies

An attractive opportunity came up, but I'm scared of leaving an already-great job in the middle of a pandemic.  Because I'm switching from a big corporate firm to a smaller local one, I expect to make the same as I do now, but maybe with more responsibilities.  Wondering if it's reasonable to ask for a minimum contract length of 1 year...?

Jul 30, 20 6:11 pm
citizen

Great question and big quandary.  One key variable that occurs to me is whether or not the "big corporate firm" might be likelier to cut staff if things go further south.  Of course, a smaller shop has its own challenges, so this could be a wash.

Overall, I'd be nervous about making a big change if you've got an already-great gig.

Jul 30, 20 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Be open and communicative. If they don't appreciate that, you have learned something about that firm.

Jul 30, 20 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

interesting, is it within the same city/area? 

I’ve never heard of A time-based contract As part of offer before unless the firm either has invested $ to relocate you or you’re buying into its ownership.., and either one is for the firm’s interest/protection, not tHe applicant. 

Jul 30, 20 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Important point and I agree - Time based contacts are to protect the employer. After all, as a contracted employee, what's your recourse if things go south? Nothing, that's what. If the firm can't pay its bills, it's not going to honor that contract.

Jul 30, 20 8:30 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Do it. Do your homework, make sure the work is not in some spiraling market, if all is good, go. Don't look back.

Jul 31, 20 5:45 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

This is a stupid idea, especially as you love your job (and Im hoping they love you too). I know of someone who quit an OK job just before the lockdowns started here, did WFH for 3 months, and then got furloughed for 3 months, possibly extending to getting laid off.

No firm will do a contract in this business (what do you think, you are a MBA? lol). 

This is not the time to follow your passions...

Jul 31, 20 6:25 pm  · 
citizen

^ Unless that passion is for gainful employment.

Jul 31, 20 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

OP is Canadian. We’re doing much much much better up here.

Jul 31, 20 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If baseline conditions are better there than elsewhere, that's great, and enviable!  But s/he did include the middle-of-a-pandemic qualifier.

Jul 31, 20 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

A good friend (licensed) quit her job last week to take an offer. We're in Canada. Not all markets are the same but if you love your current position, and don't expect a raise at another company, what exactly is the point? Smaller firms tend to carry higher risks in downturns. 

Jul 31, 20 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

nothing wrong in principle, but what's attractive about an opportunity to get paid the same in a possibly less stable environment with more responsibilities?

Jul 31, 20 11:08 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Gotta love the Canada praising, but also need to point out that pay for architects is even more mediocre up north than in the US. Just sayin.

Aug 2, 20 6:35 pm  · 
Bench

Social security costs $. Sure comes in handy during a pandemic though !

Aug 2, 20 7:56 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Pay is just fine. It’s all relative.

Aug 2, 20 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Yeah I'll take a few percent less in take home pay in exchange for single payer health care and a government that's actually trying to keep people alive during this pandemic. My brother lives and works in the US and despite his success (tech sector), he's looking to leave in exchange for less pay in either Canada or Europe.

Aug 3, 20 1:37 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Will be changing jobs myself in a month after the summer holidays, probably just before that second wave will start gaining traction over here. Pay is less, because I want to work less hours, and the commute will be a little longer but that's it. The work will be more interesting, relevant and diverse and should be rather 'rona-proof as around half their work is in some way or other with the Dutch government. And if it all falls apart and doesn't work out and my first contract won't be extended, I have rights for unemployment for about a year or so...Also don't need to worry about health care or day care or any of that stuff as I'm living in a social democracy and have a functioning government.

Aug 3, 20 4:12 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: