Archinect
anchor

Returning to the office (or not?)

Have heard from friends and colleagues that many companies are starting to make medium-term plans or their office spaces. We've also seen several major companies outside of architecture (Twitter, Facebook, Google) decide to stay remote into 2021, if not longer. 

What are architecture firms doing? Are they breaking their leases? Downsizing? Sharing spaces with other practices? Waiting to see? Seems like there are a lot of different approaches out there...

Jul 24, 20 7:09 pm
curtkram

i've been back at the office for a while now.  we're expected to wear masks unless we're at our workstation not talking to people.  also, they're pretty adamant that we take our temperature every morning.  i've slipped on that one apparently more often than most people.

Jul 24, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm good with that process, but find the rectal thermometer a bit off-putting. Especially there in the front lobby.

Jul 24, 20 8:08 pm  · 
1  ·  1
curtkram

depends on who's in front of you right?

Jul 24, 20 8:25 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

i know a large firm here in socal opened up, and within a week 4 people got tested positive. scary times.

Jul 24, 20 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Curious what precautions (if any) were being taken in a situation like that. Pretty dramatic if good protocols were being followed; unsurprising if not.

Jul 24, 20 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

a colleage got covid so we all decided to get it too out of solidarity (we're hardcore communists). we all got it and recovered and now we don't fear the virus. now we can make lots of money because we don't have to spend extra on hvac improvements

Jul 24, 20 8:18 pm  · 
rcz1001

The picture says it all.

Jul 24, 20 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

The picture says it all

Jul 24, 20 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

The picture says it all

Jul 24, 20 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks to all the unpatriotic people not wearing masks in the states where we have our offices, we still aren't getting the majority of our people back in the office for a while. Firm leaders don't have a definitive date to go back yet, but have told us we won't be going back until after the summer is over. With schools starting to announce that they will be doing remote instruction ... it's looking like we won't be going back until maybe 2021 would be my guess ... or until they develop a vaccine and get it distributed. All depends on the numbers of positive cases at this point.

Jul 24, 20 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Haven't decided yet.  I still use the office but not sure going to ask the team to come back yet, granted public transportation is now at less than half capacity and probably a lot safer than before.

Jul 25, 20 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

We had the option to work from home, but some of us never stopped going into the office. Everyone is back now with the exception of one architect who we think is going to work from home until he retires in a year or two.

Mar 25, 21 9:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: