Archinect
anchor

Engineers!!!

atelier nobody

Is it really too much to ask that DD structural drawings have the column sizes called out?

Jul 9, 20 6:33 pm

You're going to have to pay extra for that.

Jul 9, 20 6:40 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Have you checked for the column schedule yet?

Jul 9, 20 6:45 pm  · 
2  · 

Little early for the sexiest schedules out there in DD no? or do you work at one of those DD's are really CD's because a local AOR will change to local language and stampy stamp?

Jul 9, 20 6:54 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Yep - there ain't one.

Jul 9, 20 7:18 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I find the SEng generally forgets to include the schedule, but has one. Email or call and ask for it.

Jul 9, 20 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

eugh, I’ve always seen structural notes on design coordination docs. Maybe get better consultants. 

Jul 9, 20 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

I make it up and then they always go - who engineered this? I say I did, because you were taking too damn long, followed with "you know you're just a human calculator right?"

Jul 9, 20 6:55 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

No consultants here - all disciplines in-house.

Jul 9, 20 7:19 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I have a structural set of drawings on a project I’m helping out and some unknown struct p.eng used the comment tools in adobe reader to draw out their shit. Oh, what’s that beam’s size? 400ish? What, 610! Eugh

Jul 9, 20 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

nobody - we are all in house too. a good set up

Jul 10, 20 10:43 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

"No consultants here - all disciplines in-house" I've found this to be worst case. With outside consultants, I have leverage... but in-house tends to throw in-house office politics into the ring; "After you talk to 'Senior Mgr', we'll schedule someone some time in our two-week staffing meeting (which you just missed)." "Your deadlines aren't our deadlines." "We were thinking this would be a good one to train Sarah on.." ... then I get yelled at for missed deadlines and how much f'n time they spent blowing budgets. At least here; each group tends to be their own little Fiefdom ruled by a Senior Manager who wants to assert their kingdom is not ruled by any other. And don't get me started on the drafting department... those assholes also overcompensate because they aren't licensed.

Jul 10, 20 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Maybe ours works better because there are only 10 of us total in house. If you dont get your stuff done everyone else knows about it.

Jul 10, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

At least they produced a drawing. You are winning!

Jul 9, 20 6:54 pm  · 
3  · 

Not really related to atelier nobody's issue, but I've got a project right now where we are the consultant to the engineer, who is hired by the design-builder, who is hired by the client. It's been fun playing the dumb consultant not able to turn things in on time, etc. all while knowing that the crap getting to you has flowed through them first. 

It's also been really frustrating to not have better communication between us and the engineers and ultimately the client. I'm not saying we are faultless when it comes to this normally with our consultants, but I know we are better than what is going on right now.

It's not the first time I've worked in this type of arrangement, but the last time we were given more ability to manage some of the other consultants by the prime engineer and it worked much better.

Jul 9, 20 7:44 pm  · 
1  · 
TeenageWasteland

" but the last time we were given more ability to manage some of the other consultants by the prime engineer "

Jul 10, 20 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
TeenageWasteland

does that mean the engineers were under you contractually ? just curios

Jul 10, 20 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

no, we and the other consultants were all contracted to the prime engineer, but the prime engineer realized that we would need to coordinate with most everyone else and rather than make all that coordination go through them, they granted us approval to lead the coordination efforts. I'm not sure if it was their idea or ours, but we got some extra fee to manage it.

Jul 11, 20 12:43 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Bonus: If I go into the model and scale the columns, they scale exactly between two different wide flange sizes.

Jul 9, 20 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Are the reactions final? Probably not so the column sizes can change. 

Jul 9, 20 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
proto

they're W13's

Jul 10, 20 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Thanks!

Jul 10, 20 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Are you sure they aren't W15s?

Jul 11, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: