Archinect
anchor

Female Architects, How Has Maya Lin Inspired You?

AudreyBoyer

Hello, I am a student participating in an academic competition called National History Day, and for my research, I was wondering if any female architects have been inspired by Maya Lin, who designed the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and her story? If so, please reach out to me and let me know if you’re willing to do a short virtual interview! Thanks!

May 19, 20 6:24 pm

Audrey: I don't really have time immediately to do an interview, but contact me via my profile and maybe I can do it, depending on your timeline. 

I *may* still have an image of Maya Lin that I cut out of a magazine, maybe shortly after the Vietnam Memorial was completed? I can picture it in my mind's eye. She was incredibly inspirational not so much, for me, as a woman, but as a young architecture student winning an enormous competition when I was also a young architecture student. 

May 20, 20 6:20 am  · 
3  · 
AudreyBoyer

Hi, Marla

May 20, 20 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
AudreyBoyer

Thank you so much for your response! If it is not too much trouble, could I use the second paragraph you wrote to me in my project as a quote from you? No interview needed! I’ll make sure to cite you as the person that the quote is from!

May 20, 20 2:33 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

Certainly! For context, the memorial was completed in 1982, and I was in undergrad architecture school 1985-90. So it was still very new.

May 20, 20 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry to be confusing Audrey. I’m Donna and I’m also liberty bell. That’s my old screen name that sometime still pops up.

May 20, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Me again posting as Donna. YEs, it's fine to use my text above and yes I really am liberty too.

May 20, 20 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
AudreyBoyer

Thank you so much!

May 20, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Audery,

I'd recommend sending an email to architect named Rebecca Lewis with DSGW Architects in Duluth MN.  I worked with her for many years and I know she is a fan Maya Lin.  You can find Rebecca's contact info on DSGW's website.  Let her know that Chad Miller recommended the two of you correspond.  

Good luck with your project. 

May 20, 20 10:04 am  · 
4  · 
AudreyBoyer

Thank you!

May 20, 20 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

she’s been one of my top 5 inspirations, but I’m a dude.  I think when artists inspire far beyond their race, nationality, and sex it’s limiting to try and narrow back in on that.  Maya Lin is a top tier designer and artist on this planet and beyond.  

May 20, 20 5:06 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: