Archinect
anchor

Understanding glazing wind loading charts?

proximity

Occasionally in my office I'll have to look through glazing wind loading charts for a project and while I understand the overall concept, does anyone know of any resources that explain it a little more thoroughly (I have done some searching and found nothing) in terms of some of the specifics, or could possible explain somewhat? I know that the final calcs are done but the contractors/engineers, but it'd be nice on the architecture side to be able to be somewhat sure that I'm in the ballpark when it comes to determining store front vs curtainwall, what framing depth I can get away with, etc.

Mostly my question is the chart lists width and feet with multiple profile curves for each allow stress load (Kawneer for example has A, B, C, etc). I guess what I'm most unsure about is what exactly is the height and width referring to? Is it referring to any single pane of glass? Is the height referring to the length of the vertical segment and width being either the glass panel itself or what might be considered the tributary area of the vertical member? I also have no idea how to figure out design load.

Again, if anyone knows any resources that would be great.

Thanks

May 14, 20 6:05 pm

I'd recommend reaching out to your local Kawneer representative and just asking for them to help walk you through what you're looking for. 

If you're looking to get an AIA credit from it, they have a CEU called "Basics of Aluminum Framing" where they go over a lot of this. I couldn't find an online version (I didn't look that hard), but worth reaching out to your local rep to see if they can present it for you, or if there is an online version through AECDaily or similar. 

May 14, 20 6:54 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

The real way to learn is to review a calc submittal, but otherwise how's your German?

Schuco is a decent mid-range fabricator and they have a lot of documentation online, but it can be a bit hard to navigate.

See if this link works.  There is a statics chapter which describes some of the basic analysis concepts.

https://docucenter.schueco.com/web/main/SinglePageApp.php?PN=2&LID=en&fwd=true#1142349

In general storefront or curtainwall design is serviceability (deflection) driven to ensure IGU edge seals don't fail.

In the US code prescribed wind loads are derived from ASCE 7-16.  Typically negative wind loads (suction) will govern the design as the highest load values.

For look-up charts and typical low rise buildings a nominal 30 psf WL is as good a guesstimate as anything to get you in the ballpark.  When story heights get tall that's when you have to start cramming steel inside the aluminium profile to make the system work with shallower off the shelf sections.

May 14, 20 7:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I use the Kawneer charts often.  They are used to determined the maximum span (height) of mullion tubes based on the vertical spacing of the system. (ie. vertical frame on 1524mm o.c. vs 1219mm for example).  You get a max height based on your desired stress load.

Some charts are just for simple vertical frames and some include a support at mid-point (such as a pin at a slab edge or a wind girt)

I use them to get an idea of frame depth but also if I need to consider a heavier mullion tube, wind girt, or even add steel reinforcements... sometimes all 3.  It will also tell me the spans available for 50mm vs 64mm wide frames.  

In the end tho, I usually rely on the CW manufacture and will contact them to confirm my findings before going to far with the design.  On more than one occasion, the charts told me something but then the CW guys magically "made it work" without all the extra stuff... so I'm not sure what safety factor they have here.

May 14, 20 9:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: