Archinect
anchor

The Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice

Thebus001

I know this book: AIA’s The Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice should be on the shelf of every practicing architect but how valuable is it for young designers looking to get their licenses. I’ve been using study guides which are fine but I read that ncarb uses this handbook as a guide to structure the test. The book is long, over 1000 pages so I’m wondering if I should refocus on this book instead of guides? I am starting out with practice management and will proceed to project management etc... is there a specific test this is best before? Or should I just continue with the Kaplan and ballast guides?

May 13, 20 2:51 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Never opened it. Licensed and have worked for over a decade. Sure, plenty of study materials referenced it. And having it would probably be ok.  But, I haven't "needed" it. 

May 13, 20 3:26 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

I found the AHPP to be a useful addition to the Kaplan and Ballast guides.  Know that using the book for ARE study entails reading only certain chapters and not the entire book.  You do not have to read all 1000 pages.

May 13, 20 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

NCARB references the AHPP as a key resource for many of the current sections of the ARE. Many test takers have shared that the book was crucial to their passing. But I know of people who have not used it and passed, but those people all had a lot of professional experience. 

May 14, 20 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I think it's one of those books every architect should read at some point.  But to be honest, this is one of those I'd check out from a Library and return after reading.  Haven't touched mine in decades.

May 14, 20 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

It's a great reference book, but not one that everyone needs to own. I say get your firm to pay for it if you can.

The student version was a required text for my pro practice class in school. That's good enough for studying for the ARE if you have access to it or kept it from school as I had. Way back in the day, there was a comparison floating around Coach's forum that showed which chapters people found most helpful from the student version and the full version ... but that was one or two editions ago so I'm not sure what has changed exactly.

May 14, 20 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Never used the book when studying for the ARE's.  I did study the B101 - Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect, A101 - Standard Form of Agreement between Owner and Contractor, A201 - General Conditions of the Contract for Construction, and C401 - Architect - Consultant Agreement.  

May 14, 20 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I used it to study; I borrowed a Principal's copy actually.  Your office may have one on a references shelf that you can borrow for a bit. If your office doesn't have one, it definitely is worth checking to see if they will pay for an office copy.  You may also want to check if there are any used ones up for grabs pretty cheap.

May 14, 20 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I use it a lot and am glad I have a copy. 

May 14, 20 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Every job is different on delivery so when I was young, I read a lot of it, but for the most part now after doing a lot of projects etc...no real use for it.  If the job gets complicated - usually a lawyer is involved.

May 14, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: