Archinect
anchor

Designing Out of State?

If I have a potential project in a state that, its probably a on off, so its not worth getting my license in that state, how difficult is it to find a local architect willing to to be the architect of record?

May 11, 20 1:44 pm

Very.  Especially if you're inexperienced. 

May 11, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Chad How would you go about finding someone to collaborate with?

May 11, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Work your network. Ask your colleagues for their recommendations, or their friends-of-friends' recommendations, of firms that work in that place on similar types of projects, and ask them to formally introduce you.  Make sure to communicate clearly that you're looking for true collaboration throughout the projects, not a plan stamper for your own work (the latter is illegal in most states, and even where it's not most reputable firms will run away.)

As for not worth getting a license in that state:  check with the state before you dismiss that possibility - a couple states have a shortcut (with a lower fee) for a single project, that allows an administrative endorsement of an out-of-state license.  Some other states have reciprocity procedures that are quick and cheap enough to make it more worthwhile to just get the license.

May 11, 20 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

Unless it is one of the states that requires a supplemental exam - Florida, California, and Alaska, I think - it’s really not hard to get a reciprocal license. Some paperwork and a check for like 50 bucks.

May 11, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Some states are quite a bit more than 50 bucks (example: $365 reciprocity application + $125 in first-year dues for Massachusetts - plus the +/- $400 for the NCARB transmittal, because they won't just endorse another state's license directly.) Still I would guess that the OP would come out well ahead spending even $890 in fees than splitting design fees with an AOR. The bigger issue is time: I have had some many-months-long wait times for reciprocity in some states that might have made it impractical for some tight-schedule projects.

May 11, 20 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I was hoping for a Designing Out Of Scale-thread :(

May 12, 20 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: